Home

MLB The Show 17 Teach Me/Strategies Thread

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 17 Teach Me/Strategies Thread within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-31-2017, 12:41 PM   #41
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: MLB The Show 17 Teach Me/Strategies Thread

Can someone please explain the system of the catcher calling the pitches? If he puts one finger does that mean he wants the primary pitch, three fingers he wants the third pitch in the pitch arsenal, etc? (I turn off a lot of the visual cues that show these things in the pitch menu and the glove in the strike zone)

Also, does the catcher give any indication for location? I see him put the finger down, but I do not see an indication for location.

Lastly, is there any benefit to throwing the pitches that the catcher calls for? If so, are some catchers better at calling games than others?

Any insight is appreciated!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2017, 01:13 PM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
Can someone please explain the system of the catcher calling the pitches? If he puts one finger does that mean he wants the primary pitch, three fingers he wants the third pitch in the pitch arsenal, etc? (I turn off a lot of the visual cues that show these things in the pitch menu and the glove in the strike zone)

Also, does the catcher give any indication for location? I see him put the finger down, but I do not see an indication for location.

Lastly, is there any benefit to throwing the pitches that the catcher calls for? If so, are some catchers better at calling games than others?

If you turn API off, not sure that the "visual cues" are reliable. I just keep API on and ignore it whenever I want.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:43 PM   #43
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647

So I payed attention to this in a game and it's clear that the number of fingers the catcher puts down corresponds to the pitch, but location's a no-go. Just an FYI.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:30 AM   #44
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

QUICK MANAGE:

With the CPU down several runs I noticed that when their pitcher came up he wasn't pinch hit for (he had given up several runs in relief). So, I decided I'd back out of the game, switch teams, put in a pinch hitter, and then go back to QUICK MANAGE. When I backed out I saw that the CPU had a pinch hitter coming up to the plate. So I guess this is just a workaround if you want to be fair and not have the CPU having their pitcher bat in a situation when they should be pinch hit for. Just back out of the mode, then go back to that mode (quick manage).
Old 04-02-2017, 11:43 AM   #45
Rookie

OVR: 1

ok, doing up the pre season schedule while i wait for OSFM to drop, dont sim, i play the games, wondering, in pre season i understand starters (pitchers) get about 3 innings in, position players about 5-6 in, for relievers do they usually go in for an inning after the starter is gone? i understand depending on the situation cause my understanding is, its to get in some innings right? a pitcher won't see more than 4 innings in a game in pre season?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2017, 08:28 PM   #46
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigsbaseballfan
ok, doing up the pre season schedule while i wait for OSFM to drop, dont sim, i play the games, wondering, in pre season i understand starters (pitchers) get about 3 innings in, position players about 5-6 in, for relievers do they usually go in for an inning after the starter is gone? i understand depending on the situation cause my understanding is, its to get in some innings right? a pitcher won't see more than 4 innings in a game in pre season?
Yes, relievers typically throw an inning or 20-25 pitches. If they have a really quick inning they may go out for a second, or if they really struggle, they may not finish their inning.

By the end of Spring Training, starters will be stretched out to 5-6 innings.

Watch me play video games
Old 04-03-2017, 11:51 AM   #47
MVP

Datninja619's Arena

Okay, so I'm a complete noob when it comes to baseball. I've been all Madden, little basketball, and no baseball. I know the sport, but am unaware of the details.

is there a guide on these forums explaining the stats and franchise mode aspects? Or someone could explain them?

I'm playing RTTS, since I've never played a "real" player career mode. I have no idea what most of the stat categories are and what is a "good" number.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:25 PM   #48
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datninja619
Okay, so I'm a complete noob when it comes to baseball. I've been all Madden, little basketball, and no baseball. I know the sport, but am unaware of the details.

is there a guide on these forums explaining the stats and franchise mode aspects? Or someone could explain them?

I'm playing RTTS, since I've never played a "real" player career mode. I have no idea what most of the stat categories are and what is a "good" number.
There used to be a guide for all of the more obscure stats and what they related to. I think it was from MLB 15. I really don't even pay attention to the majority of those stats.

Watch me play video games

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »