Home

OS community: How can we improve Franchise Mode?

This is a discussion on OS community: How can we improve Franchise Mode? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-12-2017, 01:46 PM   #9
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: OS community: How can we improve Franchise Mode?

Yep, that's the info I remember as well.

Don't get me wrong, I want Franchise mode to be updated and enhanced just as much as anyone. I really think the only way for it to be pushed up the priority list is to have more people play more of it.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:49 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0

I would agree that RTTS is the most popular, due to the quick pace of the game etc. for those younger players who don't want to spend 45 minutes- 1 hr on a game, also for people with families it could be useful.

That being said I am 95% a franchise player. I think the budgets need some sort of overhaul. I think it is way too easy to make money and increase your budget every year. You don't see teams in the actual MLB with a 75 million budget one year and then go spend 130 million the next year hardly ever.

A big one that people have asked for, for years is relocation/expansion. Being able to build your own stadium and team would be awesome. I remember MVP baseball had it about 10 years ago, so it can be done. I probably wouldn't use it but I think a lot of people would love it.

Morale was a cool addition last year, but it would be pretty cool to either act as the manager or GM and be able to interact with the players, motivate them, or try to sway them to come back to your team with something other than just money and years.

Those are the big one's that come to my mind right now. I am sure more will come to me as I play.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:51 PM   #11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey13Playa
I play both OOTP and MLB The Show. I wish they could marry and have offspring. That would be the PERFECT baseball game. Thats what sucks... sometimes I want to actually play the game... so the show, other times I like to just watch and manage/GM and customize and use my imagination... so OOTP.

I wish we could take a lot of the OOTP features and management aspects and put them into the show. A guy can dream...
As a compromise, how cool would it be if we could export our OOTP franchise into the Show, play a game, then export it back to OOTP to manage the out-of-game stuff.

That's theoretically feasible, though it would take a lot of code to get working. Still, I'd be OK with that. Plus, the games would still be separate, so neither side has to compromise on profits. Heck, it might create more Show customers out of OOTP, and vice versa.

That has me thinking... what would be more complicated, take more time, and cost more money:

1. Merge OOTP and Show into one game (most complicated, most time, most money)
2. Create OOTP-to-Show export feature (complicated, lots of time, some money)
3. SCEA develops its own OOTP-lite Franchise mode for the Show (complicated, tons of time, tons of money)

There's no easy option, but based on what I've seen, I trust the OOTP developers to do Franchise better than SCEA. So, maybe we're better off finding a way to convince the teams to make an export / import feature.

Last edited by BillPeener; 04-12-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2017, 01:58 PM   #12
Rookie

Hockey13Playa's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPeener
As a compromise, how cool would it be if we could export our OOTP franchise into the Show, play a game, then export it back to OOTP to manage the out-of-game stuff.

That's theoretically feasible, though it would take a lot of code to get working. Still, I'd be OK with that. Plus, the games would still be separate, so neither side has to compromise on profits. Heck, it might create more Show customers out of OOTP, and vice versa.

That has me thinking... what would be more complicated, take more time, and cost more money:

1. Merge OOTP and Show into one game (most complicated, most time, most money)
2. Create OOTP-to-Show export feature (complicated, lots of time, some money)
3. SCEA develops its own OOTP-lite Franchise mode for the Show (complicated, tons of time, tons of money)

There's no easy option, but based on what I've seen, I trust the OOTP developers to do Franchise better than SCEA. So, maybe we're better off finding a way to convince the teams to make an export / import feature.
While a neat idea and actually a cool concept... people want results and in 2017 nobody likes waiting... so my question is if something like that came to fruition how long would it take to import/export after each game? Seems like it would create a slowdown in the process of enjoying "OOTP- The Show". I don't know how you'd make it work but it would have to be something that would be able to be done quickly honestly.

And FYI - I dont want this to come across as being a jerk, because its a super cool idea. Just wanted to make it clear
Old 04-12-2017, 02:06 PM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey13Playa
While a neat idea and actually a cool concept... people want results and in 2017 nobody likes waiting... so my question is if something like that came to fruition how long would it take to import/export after each game? Seems like it would create a slowdown in the process of enjoying "OOTP- The Show". I don't know how you'd make it work but it would have to be something that would be able to be done quickly honestly.

And FYI - I dont want this to come across as being a jerk, because its a super cool idea. Just wanted to make it clear
Hey, thanks. It didn't come across that way to me. The time to export / import depends on the method. Since OOTP is for computer, they'd have to create a way to export the save file to your Playstation. There's several ways to do it. The OOTP developers could work with SCEA to make an API that allows you to quickly jump into the Show from OOTP. Click export, then it'll make the file available in your Playstation account, which can be accessed in the Show. Using that method, it would take gamers maybe a minute to do the transfer. To import back to OOTP, the Show would have to send the file back somewhere.

I'm not familiar with how the Show handles files. I'm guessing they wouldn't want you uploading a franchise file from a USB drive, so it'd have to be more streamlined. There could be a cloud server that saves your OOTP franchise and can be accessed in the Show at the same time. That would mostly depend on your internet speed, which shouldn't take more than a few seconds. It would also require someone or some company to manage the server. Maybe SCEA could use one of theirs. They could use shared hosting and store a bunch of peoples' franchise files on one server.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:20 PM   #14
Rookie

OtherMoon2's Arena

OVR: 1

I think what is most frustrating for me is the start-up and backend aspects of the franchise mode. Excuse me if/when I sound ignorant -- I am a software guy, not hardware, but I do not understand how it can take more than a few minutes to completely activate an online franchise, and the same amount of time to sim through a series of CPU games.

I understand that baseball has larger teams: MLB, AAA, AA, etc, and that there are 30 teams with 162 games to play (depending on league length), but even still, it is 2017 and it should not take this long to forward through a season. With that said, I am a software person, not hardware so I do not know where the issue lies.

An franchise mode needs drama, and that is what NBA2k and Madden do very well, they create drama and a world around the game -- something SCEA fails to do.

Its a beautiful game to play, and the in game adjustments you can make to visuals, difficulty, and style of play is phenomenal. The issue is not that the amount hardcore sports games is declining, its that we are becoming the minority as gaming becomes more popular. Plus, what makes more money -- OL Franchise or Diamond Dynasty? Follow the money trail.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:24 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPeener
What options do we have for making Franchise Mode a higher priority

5. We continue as we are, deflated and defeated, believing Franchise mode is a lost cause.

I'm new to the Show community, so I don't know how developer interaction works. Do our OS posts have any affect on development, or are we just preaching to the choir? Based on what I've seen, it seems like the developers are active in the community or are at least reading these posts.
I too wish the Show was as in-depth as OOTP, but I wonder if the playstation could even handle the amount of detail OOTP can get from 1) being on a pc and 2) not being limited by a disc.
I kind of believe some of us will wind up subscribing to a modified version of your option 5:

5. We continue as we are, hopeful and optimistic, believing one day Franchise mode will reach its full potential, slowly but surely.

A Work in Progress
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2017, 05:27 PM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
I too wish the Show was as in-depth as OOTP, but I wonder if the playstation could even handle the amount of detail OOTP can get from 1) being on a pc and 2) not being limited by a disc.
I kind of believe some of us will wind up subscribing to a modified version of your option 5:

5. We continue as we are, hopeful and optimistic, believing one day Franchise mode will reach its full potential, slowly but surely.
I wouldn't want a full blown OOTP in the Show. OOTP is way too in-depth, and that depth can cause serious bugs I can't imagine being handled on a console. But it would be interesting to come up with a hybrid. There's really no easy solution, but there are a few difficult ones.

As for your modification, however you want to word #5, it's basically letting SCEA do whatever they want. I hate that option.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »