Home

Free Agency in Franchise still broken...

This is a discussion on Free Agency in Franchise still broken... within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 04:43 PM   #9
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Free Agency in Franchise still broken...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh123
See my last sentence. It takes me roughly an hour to handle just my team in the offseason. I use 30 team control to make sure draft picks get signed (another broke aspect), but I will not (and cannot) spend an hour on every team making sure they sign guys that are supposed to be signed. SCEA is paid to make this game and make it correctly, we should not have to clean up things like this by using work arounds year and year after year.
I use 30 team control, take manual control of 1 team, and have the rest of them set to AUTO. The CPU teams still draft, sign and trade their own players, but it allows me to wipe out some of the ridiculous moves that the CPU sometimes makes. It also allows me to keep up with some of the transactions that are actually happening day to day in the real life MLB.

The draft signing logic is kind of funny to me, because you're asking for realism from a video game, and then signing every draft pick for every team. Obviously we aren't going to ever have a realistic draft in this game (45 rounds or whatever), but the idea that every prospect signs is laughable. Look at the Blue Jays...they went 2 or 3 years in a row without being able to sign their first rounder.

As for Bautista, I mean, Chris Carter hit 41 HR's last year, had his highest full season OBP of his career, and didn't sign until mid way through spring training. Don't forget that Bautista's fielding is declining so much (especially in the video game) that he becomes essentially useless in the field. He then becomes a bat only 38 year old (similar to Beltran, only worse), and realistically, should only sign in the AL. Most of the competitive AL teams already have a DH. Should he have signed with the Jays? Yeah, probably, but they also might be ready to move in a different direction.

As for lineups, if you sim and look at the daily box scores, I'd imagine Pompey plays the field a lot more than expected, given Morales declining durability.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:01 PM   #10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinsmen7
I use 30 team control, take manual control of 1 team, and have the rest of them set to AUTO. The CPU teams still draft, sign and trade their own players, but it allows me to wipe out some of the ridiculous moves that the CPU sometimes makes. It also allows me to keep up with some of the transactions that are actually happening day to day in the real life MLB.

The draft signing logic is kind of funny to me, because you're asking for realism from a video game, and then signing every draft pick for every team. Obviously we aren't going to ever have a realistic draft in this game (45 rounds or whatever), but the idea that every prospect signs is laughable. Look at the Blue Jays...they went 2 or 3 years in a row without being able to sign their first rounder.

As for Bautista, I mean, Chris Carter hit 41 HR's last year, had his highest full season OBP of his career, and didn't sign until mid way through spring training. Don't forget that Bautista's fielding is declining so much (especially in the video game) that he becomes essentially useless in the field. He then becomes a bat only 38 year old (similar to Beltran, only worse), and realistically, should only sign in the AL. Most of the competitive AL teams already have a DH. Should he have signed with the Jays? Yeah, probably, but they also might be ready to move in a different direction.

As for lineups, if you sim and look at the daily box scores, I'd imagine Pompey plays the field a lot more than expected, given Morales declining durability.
I use manual for one my team and auto for the rest as well. The auto teams are the ones that didnt sign Bautista or Cobb and werent signing all of their draft picks.

Also Morales had RF/LF as his secondary position. WHY? Hes never played the outfield and can barely move around well enough to play first. He would have played the whole season there barring injury if I hadnt gone in and removed the secondary position. Aside from that what kind of logic puts Morales in the field over Pompey?

Last edited by rh123; 05-13-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:50 PM   #11
MVP

Houston's Arena

Quote:
I use manual for one my team and auto for the rest as well. The auto teams are the ones that didnt sign Bautista or Cobb and werent signing all of their draft picks.

Also Morales had RF/LF as his secondary position. WHY? Hes never played the outfield and can barely move around well enough to play first. He would have played the whole season there barring injury if I hadnt gone in and removed the secondary position. Aside from that what kind of logic puts Morales in the field over Pompey?
Ummm Morales has played outfield before in his career. 23 games in RF in the MLB and 13 games in the minors. He has even played LF/3B in the minors.

http://m.mlb.com/player/434778/kendr...r-fielding-mlb
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2017, 07:58 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinsmen7

As for Bautista, I mean, Chris Carter hit 41 HR's last year, had his highest full season OBP of his career, and didn't sign until mid way through spring training.
but he did sign. I couldnt imagine Carter wouldnt be playing somewhere this year.

I also think the what amounts to less than half a minor league system and a partial draft is what makes he Show universe so drastically different than its real-life counterpart. which is fine by me as I really dont play beyond 3 or 4 seasons anyways. but it would be nice by the time we get to PS5 the Show expands its draft and minors. If the Show had fully playable Hi-A and Lo-A ball, I think that would help to alleviate a great deal of player retirements.

A Work in Progress
Old 05-13-2017, 10:01 PM   #13
MVP

forme95's Arena

Curious, are you using default salary roster or real salary roster?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Old 05-13-2017, 10:03 PM   #14
Pro

MJDrocks's Arena

Yep. Going through my first off-season in my Marlins franchise really cooled off a lot of the steam I had going with it. A-B prospects in FA, 70+ Overall young controllable players that didn't get offered ARB sitting in FA, Rule 5 Draft had all of 5 players eligible in it, good players not getting offered what they should be, good players not getting offered at all. It's just a huge punch in the gut for all of us SIM players that don't have the willingness or time to take on 30-team control and babysit all 30 teams. What did we really expect though? Everything else in Franchise was virtually untouched so we were foolish to expect something like this to be cleaned up. Diamond Dynasty is the future folks... If you can get a full game in before the online servers crash. Sorry if I'm hard on SCEA but as a paying customer I feel I have the right to voice my opinion.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:36 AM   #15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by forme95
Curious, are you using default salary roster or real salary roster?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
I am using the Hybrid roster which I believe has real contracts. The roster makers said they tested them and there were no issues.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2017, 08:39 AM   #16
Game Designer

tabarnes19_SDS's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
I am using the Hybrid roster which I believe has real contracts. The roster makers said they tested them and there were no issues.
I believe that is why you are seeing the issues. Real contracts inflates the initial payroll. As seasons progress the system starts to balance itself back to default.

I do not see those issues with default contracts. You may find the occasional 35-40 year old free agent but they tend to be past their prime.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Operation Sports mobile app
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »