Home

Instant Replay at every base

This is a discussion on Instant Replay at every base within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-18-2018, 12:45 PM   #25
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Instant Replay at every base

What I don't understand about the need for expanded replay is that you can already set the game to not make mistakes when determining if a player is out or safe at a base. So if you're ultimate goal in having replay is that all of the calls are right, you have that option.

Or if you are wanting the game to make mistakes, miss calls, on the base paths, you have that option as well.

IMO, having an expanded replay just adds a "gimmick", or extra step, to achieving those two goals.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2018, 02:12 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
What I don't understand about the need for expanded replay is that you can already set the game to not make mistakes when determining if a player is out or safe at a base. So if you're ultimate goal in having replay is that all of the calls are right, you have that option.

Or if you are wanting the game to make mistakes, miss calls, on the base paths, you have that option as well.

IMO, having an expanded replay just adds a "gimmick", or extra step, to achieving those two goals.
Why have pitchers that need to warm up in the game? Even if they come in the game auto warmed up the result is the same.

Because it adds to the strategic value and is a better representation of the true game, both of those elements are what baseball is all about and what the fans want. Having all calls be immaculate and having the ability to correct mistakes that the AI is programmed to make is not the same thing nor will it always achieve the same results. Because we can make mistakes in challenging a play and lose our ability to challenge because we're human beings, which is what the AI should also be trying to emulate.

You can argue whether the development time needed warrants the measure that it would enhance the product, which the devs do for a whole lot of things people routinely want, but the argument you're actually making here is bad.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:36 PM   #27
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellred
Why have pitchers that need to warm up in the game? Even if they come in the game auto warmed up the result is the same.

Because it adds to the strategic value and is a better representation of the true game, both of those elements are what baseball is all about and what the fans want. Having all calls be immaculate and having the ability to correct mistakes that the AI is programmed to make is not the same thing nor will it always achieve the same results. Because we can make mistakes in challenging a play and lose our ability to challenge because we're human beings, which is what the AI should also be trying to emulate.

You can argue whether the development time needed warrants the measure that it would enhance the product, which the devs do for a whole lot of things people routinely want, but the argument you're actually making here is bad.

Actually it’s not the same. When you manually warm up pitchers you have to allow time for them to get warm. So there is the possibility that a struggling pitcher will give up another big hit or big run while waiting for a pitcher to get warm. If you auto warm, the minute you want to make a change you can.

I get what you’re saying, I just don’t see the need for it in a video game, when we have the ability to either have perfect calls or sometimes imperfect calls. I understand the human error factor of making a poor challenge but how does that translate over CPU teams? Do they make an error in judgment sometimes when deciding to challenge a play?

IMO the time it would take, according to the devs, to implement all the different scenarios isn’t worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 02-18-2018, 03:00 PM   #28
Pro

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belkbuzze
I don’t get why it’s that much difficult... I’m no coder either so take it with a grain of salt!

But, shouldn’t it be as easy as adding a simple layer over miss calls?

I guess missed calls is, logically, something like :

If delta between ball in glove/foot on bag is smaller than x, then divide umpire skill (if they have variable skill) by delta, result is the probability of a missed call.

Replay is extremely easy. On delta lower than z, enable challenging the play. If missed call, reverse, if not, stand.

What I am not understanding?
The challenge would be in handling the environment after an overturned call. In real life baseball, umpires will sometimes have to place runners based on their own judgement and things like that. I think that's the element The Show would have trouble replicating: replays with other runners on base.

I agree with many here. My preference is to have a true-to-life replay system... but if they can't (or won't) do it properly, it should just be removed. What we have now is incredibly annoying. Every time it happens I both get annoyed at the waste of time (since the cutscene can't be skipped), and reminded that The Show half-did something and left it that way for 3 years.

I would enjoy it much more if I just never saw one of those first base replays ever again.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:01 PM   #29
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Actually it’s not the same. When you manually warm up pitchers you have to allow time for them to get warm. So there is the possibility that a struggling pitcher will give up another big hit or big run while waiting for a pitcher to get warm. If you auto warm, the minute you want to make a change you can.

I get what you’re saying, I just don’t see the need for it in a video game, when we have the ability to either have perfect calls or sometimes imperfect calls. I understand the human error factor of making a poor challenge but how does that translate over CPU teams? Do they make an error in judgment sometimes when deciding to challenge a play?

IMO the time it would take, according to the devs, to implement all the different scenarios isn’t worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
You can warm up a reliever instantly if you happen to forget or have an emergency, warming up a pitcher and then mound visit will make him "instantly ready" so it's every bit of much as a contrived mechanic that doesn't effectively change the dynamic or the outcome, it just changes the way you get to the result. The point is it's a mechanic that doesn't have any impact on the game provided you use it correctly which is pretty much a 1:1 comparison for your argument about how the replay system won't change anything provided you use the mechanic correctly.

And obviously yes, for a fully fleshed out replay system to work effectively the CPU would also have to be programmed to make poor challenges at times.

I'm not disagreeing with the idea that it would take more effort than it is worth. That's really subjective. Like I said, the devs say that about a lot of things so it's easy to use that as a catch all position for probably anything you could ask for. I was addressing your claim that it wouldn't change any of the outcomes during the course of a game. If it was done correctly, it absolutely could change the outcome of games, just as it does IRL.

Last edited by wellred; 02-18-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:11 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
I would enjoy it much more if I just never saw one of those first base replays ever again.
You know that if you turn "Umpire Missed Calls" off in the settings you won't see them right?

Turning that off is like MLB's ideal world where all the base calls are made correctly - i.e what SHOULD happen with replay (but doesn't in reality).

Sent from my SM-G930P using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 02-18-2018, 03:21 PM   #31
Pro

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
You know that if you turn "Umpire Missed Calls" off in the settings you won't see them right?

Turning that off is like MLB's ideal world where all the base calls are made correctly - i.e what SHOULD happen with replay (but doesn't in reality).

Yes, but that's not what I want. I enjoy having blown calls. I've had them enabled every year I've ever played.

But there's no way to have blown calls enabled without also getting the replay cutscene.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2018, 03:26 PM   #32
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
Yes, but that's not what I want. I enjoy having blown calls. I've had them enabled every year I've ever played.

But there's no way to have blown calls enabled without also getting the replay cutscene.
Yeah, I get that. Personally I'm more interested in the game getting it right in the end, so that's why I will use the option until we get a full-blown challenge system.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »