Home

MLB The Show 18 Video - Mark DeRosa Joins Commentary Team with Improved Presentation

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 18 Video - Mark DeRosa Joins Commentary Team with Improved Presentation within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-19-2018, 07:13 PM   #97
Banned

Peter_OS's Arena

OVR: 20
Nice to see analyst Mark DeRosa joining the commentary team. Lets hope they reworked the commentary and that it's more dynamic and adaptive throughout the course of a season. Big franchise player here.

The changes to the replay system is nice to hear. Hopefully they removed and reworked the camera replay when a batter gets a hit to only show the batter hitting and getting out of the box instead of the full replay.

In-game stadium atmosphere and attendance logic is nice too.

Looking forward to the next twitch stream!

Last edited by Peter_OS; 02-19-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:17 PM   #98
MVP

Jeffrey Smith's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 18 Video - Mark DeRosa Joins Commentary Team with Improved Presentat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CujoMatty
Poor Harold got brutalized last year when they revealed him as an addition and now everyone seems sad he’s gone which makes me think I’ll reserve my opinion of DeRosa until I’ve played the game awhile.*

For me in a a perfect world I’d love it if Buck Martinez was involved one day
I'd love Buck Martinez in my game.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Operation Sports mobile app
NBA: TORONTO RAPTORS
Old 02-19-2018, 07:18 PM   #99
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: MLB The Show 18 Video - Mark DeRosa Joins Commentary Team with Improved Presentat

Will this be the year they finally remove the scene of relief pitcher dropping his glove when he gets to the mound? It totally drives me nuts!
Old 02-19-2018, 07:23 PM   #100
MVP

dran1984's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
Will this be the year they finally remove the scene of relief pitcher dropping his glove when he gets to the mound? It totally drives me nuts!
We can only hope. One of the dumbest animations in the game. There is that and the First Base ump that giving the double safe sign.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:24 PM   #101
Rookie

Belkbuzze's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blegh
I'm disappointed IGN nor GS released their videos regarding presentation this week.
Yeah same here, Thursday feel so far right now!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2018, 07:33 PM   #102
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Commentary is not a HUGE deal for me as I tend to tune it out when it gets repetitive (not turn it off, but I check out mentally from it like you would from a nagging gf/wife). That said, this seems like a bit of a step back. Not that I'm blaming SDS because they can't really hog-tie Harold, throw him in a stolen white utility van, and force him to commentate in a dark studio with no windows...Harold has to be on board. So, poor Kirby plugs in who he can.

My worry is this might take us back to the can't-tell-apart-Psycho-from-Eric-Karros days in having 2 redundant color commentators. Reynolds and Plesac worked well together because they sound so different. Coming at this from a strictly auditory vantage point, I hope DeRo doesn't sound as much like Plesac as I think he might.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesFan13
Funny how last year at this time everyone complained about Harold Reynolds being in the game and this year everyone is complaining he is out. Interesting.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Sort of revisionist history, imo. Harold Reynolds is polarizing in real life. He frequently says stupid things that reveal maybe he isn't with modern stats or that he didn't exactly prepare for his assignment. So he tends to deal heavily in old school platitudes and "back in my day [insert mostly irrelevant yarn here]" to eat up dead air. He can often try too hard and talk too much as well. For these reasons, many pan his commentary. Even ridicule it at times.

On the other hand, he is a nice guy and can be quite charismatic. He'll even come up with a relevant story from time to time.

Lots of people enjoy his work and lots of people don't. That said, those of us who don't enjoy his stuff in real life noticed that his scripted/organized stuff in the game was much better. Actually pretty good because it prevented him from turning into impromptu, illogical, off-the-cuff Harold which is the worst kind of Harold. If you lay it out for him in pieces and he basically voice acts his canned lines, he does a good job and it sounds fine.

So it's not that everyone is just changing their minds to do so only because he was taken out, but rather there was a [logical] process involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTiger1
Not a fan of Harold Reynolds so I'm not sad to see him go, but I don't think Mark DeRosa was the right replacement. I honestly have never liked The Show's insistance on having a 3-man booth. It just doesn't flow well together. There could be a 1000 different lines recorded together but having the 3-man booth just muddles things. If I could have my dream booth I'd take someone like Brian Anderson (Brewers TV announcer) or Jim Powell (Braves radio announcer) and John Smoltz. That would be a great combination. I love listening to Anderson do playoff games for TBS and Smoltz is entertaining and insightful.
BA would be a good choice. He's one of my favorites for pbp guys. Even though he's the Brewers' home market guy...gross. Some have probably heard his work on TBS before.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:44 PM   #103
Rookie

All i want to know and care about most about are a few things.
1) do the commentators speak about trades during the game would be kool if they did.
2) Have the stale world series victory presentation changed at all like cmon guys we grind for that moment and all we get is that.
3)Hoping franchise mode got a lot of love this year.

Other then that i buy this game every year and i will still buy it.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:46 PM   #104
Rookie

kaptainkarl76's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixTN
They did that last year too - one shorted the last names.
Sort of defeats the purpose of guessing anything correctly..

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »