Home

MLB The Show 18 RTTS Twitch Stream Starting Now

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 18 RTTS Twitch Stream Starting Now within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-08-2018, 08:59 PM   #33
Pro

ASUBoy93's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: MLB The Show 18 RTTS Twitch Stream Starting Now

My big issue with the RTTS news today is not that they changed progression or added caps and archetypes. It's that you have no choice in participating. If you want to have a 5-tool player or a truly dominant pitcher then you are apparently out of luck (especially if you are carrying over a save and you have to be nerfed ). I like the addition of more realistic options and paths, just very disappointed that you can't opt out and play how you want. I want more options, not less.

NFL: Seattle Seahawks
NBA: Phoenix Suns
MLB: Arizona D-Backs
NHL: Arizona Coyotes
NCAA: Arizona State Sun Devils/Florida Gators
Old 03-08-2018, 09:12 PM   #34
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula1Racing
I agree. I think it is time for me as well and now try OOTP. I don't see anything exciting about this year RTTS, one of my favorite modes of MLBTS.

I don't know if I am just burnt out of this series but it looks to me that they are just adding stuff that are insignificant just for the sake of adding them. It seems to me that they are squeezing every inch out of this MLBTS legacy engine and they can't do anymore with it. I am still seeing the same herky jerky player motions from long past PS2 days of this game.

New players to the series are likely to get excited and that is a good thing, I wish I can go back to that innocent time again when it was all new and fresh to me!

I hope for the next console (PS5?) they get a brand new code...it is time to retire this one!
I play OOTP baseball as well. But strictly as a GM for one play through and as a manager for the other.

Completely different animal. It is the deepest text baseball simulation I have ever played.

But if you are a RTTS player as well as a franchise player who likes to hit and pitch and field....it is not that type of game. And I am far more of a baseball gamer who wants to actually play the game as opposed to managing the game only.

The Show is/has been the best at that. But OOTP is a great game. But a 180 from Console baseball.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 03-08-2018, 09:45 PM   #35
LADetermined

ShowTyme15's Arena

OVR: 12

Did anyone ask about switch pitchers? Unless Pat Venditte makes the Dodgers roster out of spring training (or any other team's roster) We will lose his handedness when carrying him over from 17 to 18.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2018, 09:53 PM   #36
MVP

MetsFan16's Arena

OVR: 4

Honestly, for those who want to create that 99 Everythjng superhero, franchise mode is a very viable option.

Franchise, set everything to Auto and do only player lock. You won’t have training points per say but you can track how many you should/would have gotten and manual increase attributes when you feel like it.

You will also skip all the cutscenes and position changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 03-08-2018, 10:07 PM   #37
MVP

MetsFan16's Arena

OVR: 4
MLB The Show 18 RTTS Twitch Stream Starting Now

I personally like the changes.

The progression based on performance and individual at bats is much more realistic than hitting a couple of homeruns and doubles and increasing your fielding with those points.

I like that you start off with a certain amount speed and can’t increase that too much because that is very realistic as they mentioned.

The caps and archetypes are interesting because as someone mentioned, there is much more replay-ability. Instead of the only differences being a position and team, now you really dictate who your player is going to be. The current cap feature is interesting in that you can’t go above 65 Contact until you raise the cap. Idk how that’s going to work and how realistic that can be. How quick can we raise it to our Max Cap?

The one thing that happened way too frequently and took a lot out of the mode for me was the Quick Call Ups. Being 18 years old, first year out of the draft, halfway through August and getting the call up to the Bigs. No matter how dominant my stats were in AA and AAA, I should not be MLB ready that quick. With this new performance gains, i really feel like it will be a grind to be MLB ready. Even if you are dominant, you aren’t going to be an Overall 72 player halfway through your first season. It may actually take a year or two in the minors. Which is extremely realistic and I like that.

I also really hope they tweaked how Catcher Fielding opportunities have been improved. I don’t want to call every pitch when there’s a runner on first. I only want to play steals, bunts, pop ups, even dropped 3rd strikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 03-09-2018, 12:19 AM   #38
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

So, after getting to watch the stream, it's about what I expected, which is mostly good. I love the performance based progression and am fine with the archetypes for the most part, at least in terms of how they are built and the focus the team is shooting for (a late round pick, the minors grind, etc).

I also like the slower progression pace, although I hope the logic supports it by keeping you at the appropriate levels for longer. I really wish the stream would have talked more about that kind of stuff as this really didn't go too much deeper than the GS/IGN vids.

Really, my only issue is, as I feared, speed seems to be a mostly all or nothing proposition outside of a "catch-all" archetype that nets you a 75. I would have liked to seen one with speed around an 85 or so or, even better, something where you can maybe start speedy and transition to more power without it being such a drastic difference, but oh well.

I also wish their was an archetype for ultra-high plate discipline (One of the hitting focused builds capped at 85, which was the highest one, I believe.) and, ideally, ultra high discipline and baserunning (to create a Rickey Henderson type). I know I can probably get something close to that with equipment boosts, but I still would prefer not to have to rely on what would normally be cosmetic changes to achieve what I feel should be possible within the base framework.

Anyway, the rest of the changes are promising and the archetypes available aren't as limiting overall as I was expecting, so that's a plus for sure. I'm sure I'll still enjoy the mode. I'm just looking at RTTS more closely than in the past since I've been feeling shortchanged in franchise (hoping next week's stream offers me some hope there!) and I like the RPG style focus 17 shifted to, overall.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:23 AM   #39
MVP

OVR: 6

I really like the changes. Almost feels like a new mode. I haven't done it in 5 years but now I'm looking forward to getting back into RTTS.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:27 AM   #40
MVP

R9NALD9's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yari
After watching the stream today, I have to say that while the archetypes are a decent idea, the hard caps will likely prevent me from importing anyone into this year’s game if I purchase it. I’m not impressed with the direction that DD and RTTS are going and I think it’s likely time that I jump off this boat and switch to OOTP full time unless franchise mode really wows me. I understand the reasoning behind the hard caps but I don’t agree with them at all. RTTS is what the user makes of it and if I want to be a full-99 god then what’s the harm in it in an offline game mode? This feature really should have been optional, IMO. Furthermore, unless they greatly increased the agent check-in to a weekly frequency I suppose I might just go back to playing ‘16 instead of leaving ‘17 for ’18. I’m glad that the fake twitter is now hidden by default but if you’re going to have the phone still I’d at least like to be able to call my agent on demand to get a trade or to amass secondary positions, so I can be a super utility player.

On the bright side, the slowdown camera is a neat idea and I do like the new progression system somewhat, especially the aging changes. However, unless the age 45 cap is gone, I suppose I don’t really care about that last part. The new training options are decent but the “press X to advance skill” really feels like a wasted opportunity do work on some new drills. I feel like these changes would have been better suited if RTTS were a co-op online mode instead of offline.

Franchise will have a lot of work to do to make up for the disappointment that I’ve felt with the new changes to both DD and RTTS to sell me on this game, unfortunately. This sell will also be the toughest because unless they can blow OOTP out of the water here then I might as well just buy that and save myself the purchase price. I can admire the hard work that has gone into these new changes in MLB the Show, but it appears that this game is becoming less and less for me this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs
I like the arch-type inclusion. Can totally understand how a few people are going to feel like it should be more of an option - that they should be allowed to create the 99-beast they want - and can sympathize that they are getting shoe-horned into this if they import their player. That does kind of suck. But at least for myself, I like this as I've always felt in RTTS, the rest of the world was bound by some limitations, yet my created player wasn't. It was a weird feeling, almost like I was the spawn of a god in a world of only mortals.

I think the arch-type gives you some replay-ability where as before, I felt like the only difference between my catcher play-through and my CF play-through was his batting stance and the uniform he wore. Now I feel like there could be a tangible difference in them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula1Racing
I agree. I think it is time for me as well and now try OOTP. I don't see anything exciting about this year RTTS, one of my favorite modes of MLBTS.

I don't know if I am just burnt out of this series but it looks to me that they are just adding stuff that are insignificant just for the sake of adding them. It seems to me that they are squeezing every inch out of this MLBTS legacy engine and they can't do anymore with it. I am still seeing the same herky jerky player motions from long past PS2 days of this game.

New players to the series are likely to get excited and that is a good thing, I wish I can go back to that innocent time again when it was all new and fresh to me!

I hope for the next console (PS5?) they get a brand new code...it is time to retire this one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUBoy93
My big issue with the RTTS news today is not that they changed progression or added caps and archetypes. It's that you have no choice in participating. If you want to have a 5-tool player or a truly dominant pitcher then you are apparently out of luck (especially if you are carrying over a save and you have to be nerfed ). I like the addition of more realistic options and paths, just very disappointed that you can't opt out and play how you want. I want more options, not less.
Agreed on all of this...

Wasn't The Show the game that always prided itself in always giving you options.

I don't want a game to force me that I'm a late first round pick and that is just the way it is. What is next? That they force you in franchise into a rebuilding team...

Why not giving us an option on top of archetype whether you are a 1st overall draft pick, late first rounder, undrafted, potential GOAT with no hard cap etc.

Give me the option...I completely understand the progression system and archetype system but give us the choice. Nothing about this excites me and there is definitely no "I need to play this" feeling. Very disappointed that I pre-ordered...wish I could cancel that as MLB 17 is more than sufficient for me tbh.

Seems it will be solely franchise this year and won't be pre-ordering next year that is for sure.

ps. the graphics are really starting to look ugly compared to Madden, NBA 2k, FIFA etc.

pps. send Sony a request to cancel my pre-order and refund. Sad times...

Last edited by R9NALD9; 03-09-2018 at 12:40 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »