Home

Do you or the catcher call the game?

This is a discussion on Do you or the catcher call the game? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-14-2018, 11:46 AM   #33
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Atrocious pitch calls - who listens to their catcher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator87AC
I've noticed some bad pitch calls in past years but the amount of middle-middle fastballs with a "Dead Red" slugger hitting is comical. Or 1-out with a man on first and catch asks for high heat with a sinkerballer on the mound.

Wtf is with the pitch call logic in The Show? I try to play the game straight up and listen to what the catcher asks for but I almost always have better success doing my own thing.
if you can't or don't want to think for yourself, then the Show catcher calls will suffice
but for the more experienced Show players, you gotta call your own shots.

A Work in Progress
Old 04-14-2018, 12:15 PM   #34
Rookie

trackstar121388's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Atrocious pitch calls - who listens to their catcher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
if you can't or don't want to think for yourself, then the Show catcher calls will suffice
I think there can be a mix. I don't think I've had the bad calls that Aviator is referring to but I don't think it's a bad thing to listen to what the catcher calls, as long as it makes sense to you. I have certainly many times gone with my own pitch over what the catcher called but I like at least seeing what the catcher suggests first.

For me, if I don't like the location I change it or if the catcher is suggesting the same pitch too many times in an at-bat then I change it. Also if I'm trying to work on that pitch as a strikeout pitch or just betting better movement or control out of it I use it instead of what they call. For instance, if they're calling for a running fastball down and in on a 2 strike count sometimes I use my forkball instead to try to get the improvement out of it. But Caulfield and what many of others have said in this thread is right it would be silly to blindly call the pitch and location the catcher is calling if it doesn't feel right, or make sense.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:30 PM   #35
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
You know, I get following the catchers calls in road to the show. I usually don't like the calls, but it's more immersive.

In franchise though? I don't get it. Why would I give up on making my own calls?

Frankly, if forced into the choice of either having control of the pitch but not the callouts, or having control of the callouts but not the pitch, I would choose the latter. The whole behind the plate strategy is too interesting and fun to just hand over to the cpu, and there is nothing more satisfying then calling a good game. And then there is the letdown of having your pitcher execute the pitch you wanted perfectly, only to have it get hammered for a homerun. I find myself patting my chest IRL, trying to let my pitcher know that it was my fault, not his. I pump my fist and point at the pitcher when I get a key strikeout... kind of funny watching the in game catcher doing the same thing now in game. I feel a little embarrassed afterwards, but I wouldn't give that up for anything.

I have tried playing a catcher in RttS before in past iterations of the show (with all pitches on), and I have enjoyed it, but I inevitably end up saying to myself: Why only do this when I can play and enjoy all of the positions?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2018, 06:15 PM   #36
Pro

Bunselpower32's Arena

Re: Do you or the catcher call the game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBMavs20
Maybe in the future SDS can assign a rating to a catcher based on how well he calls a game. Maybe even how well he frames pitches too...
It's the little things like Call Game that really, really make me miss 2K. I like the show, but 2K was a monster from a stat, rating, and gameplay perspective.

If SDS could add a call game and pitch frame rating that would be phenomenal. But it ain't going on this engine, I'll guarantee you that.

- Rick Wise
Old 04-14-2018, 06:15 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
The whole behind the plate strategy is too interesting and fun to just hand over to the cpu, and there is nothing more satisfying then calling a good game.

This is where I derive the most enjoyment from playing, otherwise I'd probably just MoM it. Or if I was a better hitter, maybe I wouldn't get that same high from the cat and mouse aspect against hitters. I love it (not at the start) of falling behind 3-0 then battling to get a k or even just any out.
When I'm batting I never really feel like the cat. But when I'm on the hill, I'm like ''yeah, Scratchy, this one's for you bud''.

A Work in Progress
Old 04-14-2018, 06:50 PM   #38
Rookie

trackstar121388's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunselpower32
It's the little things like Call Game that really, really make me miss 2K. I like the show, but 2K was a monster from a stat, rating, and gameplay perspective.

If SDS could add a call game and pitch frame rating that would be phenomenal. But it ain't going on this engine, I'll guarantee you that.
It would be amazing for a called game and framing pitches.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:02 PM   #39
MVP

AUTiger1's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drty_Windshield
Usually I let the catcher call it. Sometimes I'll disagree though and choose a different pitch type. I just really wish that the pitcher would shake his head up or down or side to side when appropriate.
Is that not still in the game? I know the pitcher used to do that. Guess I haven't played that close attention to it.
Detroit Red Wings
Winnipeg Jets
Old 04-14-2018, 07:20 PM   #40
MVP

forme95's Arena

If I let the catcher call, I will go around where he wants, but not directly where he calls for it. Also, I will shake him off if I feel I want a different pitch or a different location. I rarely throw though exactly where he wants it.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »