Home

I am officially sick and tired of the patches screwing up gameplay!

This is a discussion on I am officially sick and tired of the patches screwing up gameplay! within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-25-2018, 12:14 AM   #33
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: I am officially sick and tired of the patches screwing up gameplay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
My RF has a heck of an arm, and he was making ridiculous crow hops and patting the glove only to have extremely lazy arcs, no matter how early I pre-loaded, and I tend to pre-load pretty damn early. I have, however, rectified the problem with sliders, so I'm all hunky dory now. It does still seem like the CPU can just unlock the better catch and releases more often, but it's definitely not a big enough gap to claim that it isn't just in my head, and they seem to make more errors too, so maybe that has something to do with it.

If this was MLB16, I'd probably signing the same song as you because I was seeing a lot of that in that year's game and a difference between CPU and my OF.

In 17 and 18, not sure why but I have not seen this and both sides have similar throw behaviors.

What sliders did you move? I have OF throws at 5 and IF throws at 10 (mentioned because of relays) vs Baserunner speed of 8 (last year was OF arms at 6, IF arms at 10 vs Baserunner speed of 9).
Old 04-25-2018, 03:22 AM   #34
Pro

Robo COP's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
Simulation was an utter crock of **** with Madden 18 lol.

Pure BS

The Show 18 offline is the closest thing to a simulation console sports game I have ever played.

2K18 is damn close too.

Sent from Palm Trees and Paradise using Operation Sports
I'm glad to see you say this. Splitting into different "mode settings" was the worst thing madden could have done. Especially taking injuries completely out of the equation for the competition setting (how hard is it to allow you to use competition setting but turn ON injuries?)

I would hate for The Show to go the same route
Old 04-25-2018, 07:30 AM   #35
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
If this was MLB16, I'd probably signing the same song as you because I was seeing a lot of that in that year's game and a difference between CPU and my OF.

In 17 and 18, not sure why but I have not seen this and both sides have similar throw behaviors.

What sliders did you move? I have OF throws at 5 and IF throws at 10 (mentioned because of relays) vs Baserunner speed of 8 (last year was OF arms at 6, IF arms at 10 vs Baserunner speed of 9).
I've got OF throws at 6, IF throws at 6, and baserunner speed at 7. I've seen a good variety of throws without seeing any rainbow throws from good arms or snap throws from awkward positions from bad arms, and I'm really happy with the fielder vs baserunner balance. Relays can be disappointing sometimes, but not by an unrealistic amount, I still do unlock that fast transfer snap relay.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2018, 10:50 AM   #36
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgoi
Every year we get patches that are supposed to FIX gameplay, but every SINGLE year they seem to have an adverse effect. For example, what i've noticed this year:

- When game was first released, we were all RANTING AND RAVING about how well the catchers were blocking pitches in the dirt. Now it's miserable again. Slider makers have to lower pitch control to have any semblance of unintentional walks, but the wild pitches are out of control because the catchers have stopped blocking them again. I've averaging 2-4 wild pitches per game again. What is going on?

- The lag?? Before the patches, the game was so smooth. I noticed the last two days, OFFLINE the game is considerably lagging and skipping.

- Throw hesitation is back. Again, before the patches, the fielders seemed to play with some sense of urgency. Now they're slow again, getting stuck in the wall animation, hop skipping before throwing, etc. I thought the rainbow throws were gone, but sure enough, happened last game, grounder to third, third basemen charges, makes lollipop throw to first, safe. This NEVER happened before patches. Now it's back.

- Another thing we've been complaining about for years is the deflections off the pitcher. Again, when the game was first released, these seemed to be really toned down to a somewhat realistic amount. Now they're out of control again. I am seeing 2+ deflections per game off the pitcher again. Do the developers not realize this doesn't happen that often?

- Deflections off bases - this almost NEVER happens in real life. Yes, on occasion. In the show? It's been happening maybe once every 2-3 games and some of the deflections literally bounce over fielders heads. Real ball physics?

The patches seem to fix one thing and TOTALLY destroy other things, making the damn game play like previous years games. Must they continue to throw out patches that tweak gameplay to make the game play like last year and the year before?
I use manage mode exclusively. I liked the game better when it was first released with the opening patch. They increased defense I'm sure due to complaints from the joystick users.

In addition to upgraded fielders I'm also seeing the same thing as you with balls hitting pitchers more frequently after the most recent patch.

Having said that the show 18 is still far better than any other game they have released in terms of gameplay.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:54 AM   #37
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

I agree with OP 100%. The glory days of sports gaming in my opinion were 2002-2008. Once online competitive play began, and even worse these online card collecting modes started gaining popularity it really decreased the developers motivation to make a game that plays like real baseball. They constantly have to nerf the game to appease players that are mad because "every squared up pci hit" is not launched off the bat like a rocket. But I'll tell you what that's not baseball. Not everything you square up is going to be a hit. Shoot all you have to do is go over to the show nation and see that it's a complete s@&$ show of a forum. How he mods lost that much control is beyond me.

The problem with online competitive play and modes like DD is that it brings in a laundry list of casuals and people who's number one motivation for playing is to "win". They are not looking for a realistic organic baseball experience. They have one motivation and one motivation only and that is to win. With all of the money that is involved in e-sports and card collecting modes I understand why the developers are moving in that direction. It's sad because SCEA were the last for the sim crowd developers, and now with Ramone in charge it seems like they could care less.

I have literally stopped playing sports games quicker in their cycle than ever before because of patches completely ruining games for me. Unfortunately With the way things are going I can see a day where I don't play any sports games for the first time in 25 plus years. It is sad.

I also know for a fact they intentionally do not improve core single player modes so that they become stale. That way you may become "bored", and find your way over to DD and become hooked. It's the only explanation I can think of.

Edit: what's worse is that games don't allow you to choose a specific tuner for offline play. They force feed their DD, UT, etc. tailored gameplay down your throats. If I want my game to play a certain way with a tuner I like, why not let me have the option to choose how I want to play the game if I am not playing other human beings online

Last edited by Therebelyell626; 04-25-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:55 AM   #38
All Star

OVR: 2

Only read the OP but I haven’t seen any of those things with any frequency, let alone enough to feel like they broke the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 04-25-2018, 01:20 PM   #39
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
I've got OF throws at 6, IF throws at 6, and baserunner speed at 7. I've seen a good variety of throws without seeing any rainbow throws from good arms or snap throws from awkward positions from bad arms, and I'm really happy with the fielder vs baserunner balance. Relays can be disappointing sometimes, but not by an unrealistic amount, I still do unlock that fast transfer snap relay.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Operation Sports mobile app

Huh, I thought everyone was decreasing baserunner speed, not increasing it. You guys think it’s too slow out of the box?
Old 04-25-2018, 03:49 PM   #40
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777
Huh, I thought everyone was decreasing baserunner speed, not increasing it. You guys think it’s too slow out of the box?
Yup. Fielders should not automatically be faster then baserunners. With Fielder run speed at 3 and baserunner speed at 7, I feel on even ground.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »