Home

Is it just me or is the CPU offense incompetent?

This is a discussion on Is it just me or is the CPU offense incompetent? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2018, 03:14 PM   #57
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Is it just me or is the CPU offense incompetent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerWolf
I guess I'll post this here:

One strange thing in my franchise is how dominant my bullpen has become. The CPU rarely gets a hit, let alone a run, against my pen. I'm the Braves, so it's not like my pen should be dominant. Vizcaino has an ERA under 1 with an opponents BA of about .100. Whitley, my long reliever, is the only member of my pen with an ERA over 3. By comparison, I only have one starter with an ERA under 4.

In past versions, I usually dominated with starters and struggled with the pen. One year, I had an ERA of over 5 with Kimbrel.
Just curious, over how many games has your bullpen been dominant?

I ask in regards to seeing if it's just a good run or if maybe you should look at increasing difficulty by either changing difficulty level or by possibly adjusting sliders.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

Last edited by countryboy; 07-23-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:24 PM   #58
MVP

NolanRyansSnowmonkey's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy

I ask in regards to seeing if it's just a good run or if maybe you should look at increasing difficulty by either changing difficulty level or by possibly adjusting sliders.
Agreed. My teams go through stretches of dominant bullpens and struggling starters, or vice-versa. Unless its an unrealistically prolonged stretch, i would embrace it.

I wish my starters and relievers would get it all together at once for a change.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:31 PM   #59
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:

One strange thing in my franchise is how dominant my bullpen has become. The CPU rarely gets a hit, let alone a run, against my pen. I'm the Braves, so it's not like my pen should be dominant. Vizcaino has an ERA under 1 with an opponents BA of about .100.
have you had arod vizcaino tested for peds?

A Work in Progress
Old 07-23-2018, 06:00 PM   #60
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanRyansSnowmonkey
Agreed. My teams go through stretches of dominant bullpens and struggling starters, or vice-versa. Unless its an unrealistically prolonged stretch, i would embrace it.

I wish my starters and relievers would get it all together at once for a change.
I'm 74 games into my franchise. I really started to notice it the last month or so, so at least 30 games. And probably closer to 50.

I'm hesitant to change sliders/move up because:
A. I like playing on default.
B. The computer does OK against my starters.

Small sample size, but I just finished a quick two-game series in Toronto. McCarthy gave up 3 ER in 5 IP and worked out of trouble multiple times. The pen gave up 1 hit in the last four IP. Newcomb then gave up 3 ER in 5.2 IP. Bullpen didn't give up a thing after that.

I'm just going to roll with it the rest of this season and then maybe move up to HOF next season. Just weird, especially since it's the opposite from what I've experienced in previous versions.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:05 PM   #61
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
I'm 74 games into my franchise. I really started to notice it the last month or so, so at least 30 games. And probably closer to 50.

I'm hesitant to change sliders/move up because:

A. I like playing on default.

B. The computer does OK against my starters.

Small sample size, but I just finished a quick two-game series in Toronto. McCarthy gave up 3 ER in 5 IP and worked out of trouble multiple times. The pen gave up 1 hit in the last four IP. Newcomb then gave up 3 ER in 5.2 IP. Bullpen didn't give up a thing after that.

I'm just going to roll with it the rest of this season and then maybe move up to HOF next season. Just weird, especially since it's the opposite from what I've experienced in previous versions.

I would roll with it and then up to HOF during ST and play a few games and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2018, 08:02 PM   #62
MVP

CubFan23's Arena

OVR: 23

Im on Legend also and use Mike Lowe's sliders, Game plays really good. I use the Cubs and Tyler Chatwood is the same in game as he is IRL unfortunately! I've gotten my brains beat in on more than one occasion.

“I knew when my career was over. In 1965 my baseball card came out with no picture".
- Bob Uecker
Old 07-24-2018, 12:01 PM   #63
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:

One strange thing in my franchise is how dominant my bullpen has become. The CPU rarely gets a hit, let alone a run, against my pen. I'm the Braves, so it's not like my pen should be dominant. Vizcaino has an ERA under 1 with an opponents BA of about .100. Whitley, my long reliever, is the only member of my pen with an ERA over 3. By comparison, I only have one starter with an ERA under 4.

In past versions, I usually dominated with starters and struggled with the pen. One year, I had an ERA of over 5 with Kimbrel.
I've had a very different experience. My pen was super dominant for many editions of the show, but this year I've found it to be very prone to blowing up. I've probably blown more leads in a season and a half of 18 than I did total the past decade!
Old 07-26-2018, 08:05 PM   #64
Rookie

Vanilla_Gorilla's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:

My bullpens have always been pretty weird too.

Veterans usually do okay, but most of the time my guys that are 79 OVR and up are usually lights out. 73 and below, eh, not so much.

I mean, I brought on 34 year old Bud Norris on a 2-year deal as a stopgap at Closer while my 22 year old prodigy develops and the guy was lights out his first season

1.83 ERA
0.83 WHIP
40 Saves

But, hey, I'm not complaining

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »