Home

Some Franchise Gameplay Questions

This is a discussion on Some Franchise Gameplay Questions within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-22-2020, 05:54 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Some Franchise Gameplay Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric7064
EXACTLY this.

In fact I feel far too often that mid-level players progress to well, and high A's do not progress enough, or they are A's but are in the 50s or 60s when you draft them at 21-22 years old, and arent MLB ready until 27-28. If at all.

Look at the base rosters at the launch of the game. You will see plenty of teams with SP in the rotation in mid to low 70s. Relievers in the 60s. Position players in the low 70s.

Sim 5+ years. Every teams rotation is 80+ or up. Even the #5. Every position player is 80+ or up. Seriously. Do a sim and look at it.

What this means is the top guys that are drafted, that would play on a launch roster, will not see the light of day in the MLB for awhile because they have to get higher then an 80 in MOST cases.
And it gets worse when you look at the minor leagues in that same sim.

Most teams will have AAA rosters and even AA rosters packed with old players. Prospects don’t progress as well as they should in part because many just aren’t playing. And when they do play, they’re not playing similarly bad prospects. They’re playing against veterans with overall ratings in the mid-70s or higher.

A 65-OVR hitting prospect might be able to consistently hit .300+ in the minors and grow quickly if he was mostly going against pitchers rated in the 45-65 range. Instead, he’s facing pitchers much better than he is, and his progression stagnates.

One other thing Madden does that would help is spread the ratings out. Apparently this was new for 20. From what I’ve read, in recent iterations of the game, players in the 60s and 70s overall were often useless. Now, though, you might have a Super Bowl team with multiple low-70s starters. They aren’t liabilities. They just aren’t stars.

The Show would benefit from a similar change. Spread ratings out across the board, and adjust the draft and minor league system so that spread is retained years into the future. Make it so a 21-year-old with a 75 overall can conceivably come in and play like an All-Star. Make it so adding a 71-overall veteran SP at the trade deadline might actually be a move that bolsters a rotation for a playoff run. Make it so minor leaguers don’t hang on forever; for guys who aren’t big time prospects, that’s often a terrible job with terrible pay, and few guys are going to stick with it for 15 years once the dream disappears. Make it so a 45-overall 18-year-old with high potential actually has a role; he might not ever be a star, but if things break right, he could be. And it won’t take him a decade to get there.

These things always bothered me a bit with The Show, but I didn’t realize how much until picking up Madden a few weeks ago. Not that that game has a great reputation for paying attention to franchise mode. They’re more guilty than anyone for leading the microtransaction-online-play-over-franchise movement. But the way their draft/progression system works IMO blows The Show out of the water.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2020, 06:48 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemarflacco
The ratings and progression system lacks so much.

Instead of a simple A rating , it seems players should have ratings for their individual traits Like they do in the draft . Like I still have yet to figure out how to know what type of player someone is other than I guess if they start with low power, they'll end with low power.

For example a 18 yr old may have a 15 rating for power but they have the potential for a 70. hopefully they can rework the ratings system to something like this in the future
2 things:
first I have always believed the progression in the Show wont anywhere near mirror or replicate IRL MLB with limited 90-man organisations, it would need more than double that total to help in the progression area.
second, everyday position players need 2 separate Potential Attributes, one for offence and another for defence.

A Work in Progress
Old 02-23-2020, 02:13 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
2 things:
first I have always believed the progression in the Show wont anywhere near mirror or replicate IRL MLB with limited 90-man organisations, it would need more than double that total to help in the progression area.
second, everyday position players need 2 separate Potential Attributes, one for offence and another for defence.
That's a good idea. You should make that suggestion in the next wish list thread.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:30 PM   #28
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
That's a good idea. You should make that suggestion in the next wish list thread.
I would say EVERY attribute should have an actual number and a potential number but I'd settle for at least an offensive and defensive potential. Something similar to this model in ootp
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 6.26.14 PM.png (124.9 KB, 161 views)
Old 02-27-2020, 09:20 AM   #29
Rookie

I have found that the best way to get prospects to progress quickly is putting them in a position to excel. That means playing them at the correct level, with a good team. I especially like to make sure they're hitting in the middle of my best hitters for that level team. This brings up their RBI and runs. I will also never bring a prospect up until he's ready to be close to an every day player, since he'll progress way more at AAA starting than he would playing every other day on my team. I fill out my major league roster with guys who excel at one thing "power vs. lefties, speed/ etc.) and use them just for that role, regardless if they're a long-term fit on the team or not.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:13 PM   #30
Rookie

sharkdaballer's Arena

I tend to bring up my prospects when they're in tha 70-75 range. Usually because of injury to an everyday player. If they excel I keep them on tha team
Old 02-27-2020, 08:45 PM   #31
Rookie

MasonOS95's Arena

Not to rain if your parade but maddens progression is quite poor as well..

NBA 2k is also bad

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2020, 08:50 PM   #32
Game Designer

tabarnes19_SDS's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonOS95
Not to rain if your parade but maddens progression is quite poor as well..

NBA 2k is also bad

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Madden's is the absolute worst and arcade to the extreme. Xp is the worst progression system. I pray mlb never goes to a performance based progression. It is so unrealistic.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »