Home

MLB The Show 20 Livestream Breakdown - Diamond Dynasty, Showdown, Team Affinity and More

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 20 Livestream Breakdown - Diamond Dynasty, Showdown, Team Affinity and More within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-08-2020, 02:06 PM   #33
MVP

BigOscar's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 20 Livestream Breakdown - Diamond Dynasty, Showdown, Team Affinity a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolenz
I actually thought it looked a little better.

It is the same as last year mostly with a few notable changes.
  • There are multiple stages. I assume with greater rewards, so that the mode is not completely irrelevant after the first month. There appears to be 5 stages in total.
  • March to October innings do not count but you do earn some Affinity points if you play through it.
  • Any Topps Now moments that are released for a player will be added to the moments for that players team affinity
  • 5 points earns you the team stadium
  • 10 points earns you a team specific pack with 2 silvers and 2 bronze.
  • 25 points earns you a gold Prospect card for that team.
  • 50 points introduces a new Face if the Franchise card reward. The nationals will get you a 89 Juan Soto.

I'll definitely do it for the Cardinals. Stage 1 will get me Busch Stadium, probably Dylan Carlson as the prospect and I would assume a good Yadi card for the Face of the Franchise (I assume this card series is current players).
Tbh, that sounds exactly the same as last year, but with the Topps now moments linked to it? Just with the rewards ever so slightly changed.

I wonder if innings played in moments or that new mode count, or whether it's literally just conquest again for offline players?

Last edited by BigOscar; 03-08-2020 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 02:35 PM   #34
MVP

Dolenz's Arena

Re: MLB The Show 20 Livestream Breakdown - Diamond Dynasty, Showdown, Team Affinity a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOscar
Tbh, that sounds exactly the same as last year, but with the Topps now moments linked to it? Just with the rewards ever so slightly changed.

I wonder if innings played in moments or that new mode count, or whether it's literally just conquest again for offline players?
I did say that it was mostly the same.

The biggest change is the 5 stages to be released throughout the year. we only saw the rewards for stage 1 and in the case of the Nationals, it was an 89 diamond. I can only assume that by stage 5 (and maybe 4) will result in end game viable card
Old 03-08-2020, 03:20 PM   #35
MVP

BigOscar's Arena

Quote:
I did say that it was mostly the same.

The biggest change is the 5 stages to be released throughout the year. we only saw the rewards for stage 1 and in the case of the Nationals, it was an 89 diamond. I can only assume that by stage 5 (and maybe 4) will result in end game viable card
Yeah I don't really care about the rewards tbh, if there isn't actually anything interesting or engaging to do to get them. If it's essentially just grind innings in conquest or play Mto, then it doesn't really matter how many stages of rewards they give

Last edited by BigOscar; 03-08-2020 at 03:24 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2020, 03:22 PM   #36
All Star

OVR: 2

Quote:

Yeah it’s pretty much exactly the same except they added stages to keep Affinities relevant deeper into the summer. Mostly just mixed up the rewards, not a big difference in the way it works.

I actually didn’t mind it last year(im not an offline player) and my only complaint was I wished there was more to keep doing in it. So this small update works for me.

And to the person asking about multiple cards. Yeah I don’t like it. I’m ok with max 3 versions of superstar players. A rookie, a breakout and a prime card. I hate the signature players and all the 99 overalls. I love legends but give me real ratings for them. Mickey Mantle, Babe Ruth and Willie Mays prime cards? Sure hit me with a 99 overall. But Mike Trout should be 99 overall too.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 03-08-2020, 03:38 PM   #37
MVP

Dolenz's Arena

Quote:
Yeah I don't really care about the rewards tbh, if there isn't actually anything interesting or engaging to do to get them. If it's essentially just grind innings in conquest or play Mto, then it doesn't really matter how many stages of rewards they give
I'm interested in what you would define as interesting or engaging? Right now you can get credit towards them playing the following modes
  • Ranked Seasons (innings)
  • Events (Innings)
  • Conquest (innings)
  • Moments (Points)
  • March to October (Points)
  • Showdown (via division specific Showdown challenge)
  • Exchanges

What's left? You can earn something in almost every major mode of DD.

Now, I am not really Rah Rah for team affinities as I will probably only attempt the Cardinals, but I do think that they have improved the mode.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:07 PM   #38
MVP

BigOscar's Arena

Quote:
I'm interested in what you would define as interesting or engaging? Right now you can get credit towards them playing the following modes
  • Events (Innings)
  • Conquest (innings)
  • Moments (Points)
  • Exchanges

Now, I am not really Rah Rah for team affinities as I will probably only attempt the Cardinals, but I do think that they have improved the mode.
Innings is literally the dullest grind imaginable, it's not a reason to play the game, it's something that just happens in the background when you play, like XP. March to October isn't DD. That just leaves moments and Showdown, neither of which use my DD team. (pretty debatable if they even are DD tbh, or whether they are just modes that give DD rewards, like Mto)

The only reason, as an offline player, to even own a team or any players, seems to be for playing conquest and just aimlessly racking up innings. That's my complaint, there is almost no content aimed at making playing offline, with your team, rewarding at all.

As for "what's left", just look back to previous years, where you had to accumulate stats with players from that team, you had to beat that team in 9 inning games on different difficulties, you had to rack up stats with certain players from that team that you unlocked along the way. There are a ton of things they could have done to make team affinities engaging, but instead it's just a mindless innings grind again. It's a background thing, which would be fine, if they had any foreground things at all for offline players

Last edited by BigOscar; 03-08-2020 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:34 PM   #39
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
  • Events (Innings)
  • Conquest (innings)
  • Moments (Points)
  • Exchanges

Honestly, I'm not sure I find any of those interesting. I don't touch online for any game. Showdown, MtO, and many Moments don't even use your DD roster which just makes them a grind for the sake of grinding. Obviously exchanges aren't something to play.

So...it's Conquest....again....with nothing of intrigue.

What about something as seemingly simple as setting roster restrictions for each map (like events do) with the USA map being "anything goes"? Throw in some Conquest-specific stat grinds (like they did for the 11th inning program). What about having player missions that you have to achieve in the context of a full game?

I want:
  1. All modes to require use of your DD team.
  2. Reasons built-in to foster lineup variability
  3. Missions to accomplish within the context of full games (both 3 and 9 innings)

Instead, we again have an offline mode "to grind" that seemingly does everything possible to keep us FROM using our DD teams. And for the one thing we DO have, it's again unchanged and we'll be forced to make up things to make it more interesting.

It would be like having a RTTS mode where you don't actually play with the guy you created (instead you get player lock games for other players around the league).
Old 03-08-2020, 07:12 PM   #40
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
definitely probably cant in a thread outside of the DD sub-forum. probably would have been a slightly better chance if this thread was in that sub-forum. I dunno, I never go in there and read those threads as they dont interest me. but once they come out into the main hall and more eyes are on them, all bets are off.
To be clear, this is trolling and you should not do what Caulfield is saying regardless of where it ends up. "All bets are not off" but I assume what was meant is that there are more chances of trolling happening out here not that Caulfield would personally take part in it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »