Home

#fixtheshowfranchise

This is a discussion on #fixtheshowfranchise within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2021, 07:45 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
#improvetheshowfranchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
Two of the Cubs top prospects (Brailyn Marquez and Brennan Davis) were two years younger than they should be in MLB 21. As did so many other prospects. If they are three years younger than they should be next year I just don't know if I can stomach it and bring myself to buy the game.
these are the ''little things'' that drive me bat **** crazy, when wrong. age, height, weight, number of options, among maybe a couple more, should all be editable. it was a godsend when they finally made service time editable. that was a HUGE little thing for me

A Work in Progress
Old 08-09-2021, 11:22 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: #fixtheshowfranchise

I think "improve" is the better word.

I didn't get MLB the Show until '20, but I think this is the best sports franchise by far.

I have no faith Madden franchise will be greatly improved. Turning it into an RPG with player development is lame. The draft is pretty bad. Not NBA 2k bad, but bad. It also feels too easy to turn a team into a contender by season 2.

MLB The Show isn't perfect, but the franchise mode is a blast and unless you just go nuts signing people in free agency it actually is a bit challenging. I like sometimes players in the game rake, sometimes they just don't do well. It feels like real life in that aspect. Occasionally top prospects come in an dominate, sometimes a 1st round draft who dominates the minors just doesn't get it done. In other games, if you draft a good player and add them to free agents, you dominate. There isn't much randomness.

Again, not perfect. But better than other pro sports games. MLB The Show 21 is my favorite long term career mode since NCAA Football before the Coach Carousel was introduced.
Old 08-09-2021, 12:29 PM   #11
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMVian
I think "improve" is the better word.

I didn't get MLB the Show until '20, but I think this is the best sports franchise by far.

I have no faith Madden franchise will be greatly improved. Turning it into an RPG with player development is lame. The draft is pretty bad. Not NBA 2k bad, but bad. It also feels too easy to turn a team into a contender by season 2.

MLB The Show isn't perfect, but the franchise mode is a blast and unless you just go nuts signing people in free agency it actually is a bit challenging. I like sometimes players in the game rake, sometimes they just don't do well. It feels like real life in that aspect. Occasionally top prospects come in an dominate, sometimes a 1st round draft who dominates the minors just doesn't get it done. In other games, if you draft a good player and add them to free agents, you dominate. There isn't much randomness.

Again, not perfect. But better than other pro sports games. MLB The Show 21 is my favorite long term career mode since NCAA Football before the Coach Carousel was introduced.
This is all true, but the mode has been stuck in mud for years, receiving lip service in terms of updates. Sure, some of them have been fantastic quality of life updates, but when there are very real and very prominent issues that continue to be ignored, it gets frustrating.

Add that on top of the removal of year to year in 21 with no real reason or benefit, and I hope you can understand why the long term fans are irate.

If the removal of year to year saves came with (significant) roster expansion, revamping of progression and regression (hopefully to copy NHL), multi-trades and a complete update of the trade system to include more spots and cash considerations, redoing morale, and the seperation of offline and online balance, or even just a combination of some of those changes, then yes, it would have been justified.

Instead we got virtually nothing. Some more minor quality of life updates with no real change. Quality of life updates are great, but the mode's issues are getting very old by this point.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2021, 01:52 PM   #12
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20

30 team control can fix about anything and everything in franchise mode. You can scout, draft, manually trade and sign free agents for every team based on what would be realistic. Set lineups, pitching rotations. Literally everything that isn't perfect and never will be can be solved if you're willing to put in a bit more effort and work. All Madden needs to do is give us 32 team control and their franchise would be the best of any sports game.

I assume Y2Y saves will return once they figure out how to for Xbox and Playstation. But honestly probably less than 5% of players actually used it so I doubt it's something that's on their top priority list.

Only thing to add to "fix" the franchise mode is even better AI bullpen usage logic, which is by far the best it's ever been this year. They could make the draft presentation better. And for baseball we need a ton more stats to see and follow. Also want to see team records, game records, and baseball records more evident to see like NBA 2K does.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Operation Sports mobile app

https://www.youtube.com/DarthRambo

Last edited by DarthRambo; 08-09-2021 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-09-2021, 02:37 PM   #13
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSalsa
30 team control can fix about anything and everything in franchise mode. You can scout, draft, manually trade and sign free agents for every team based on what would be realistic. Set lineups, pitching rotations. Literally everything that isn't perfect and never will be can be solved if you're willing to put in a bit more effort and work. All Madden needs to do is give us 32 team control and their franchise would be the best of any sports game.

I assume Y2Y saves will return once they figure out how to for Xbox and Playstation. But honestly probably less than 5% of players actually used it so I doubt it's something that's on their top priority list.

Only thing to add to "fix" the franchise mode is even better AI bullpen usage logic, which is by far the best it's ever been this year. They could make the draft presentation better. And for baseball we need a ton more stats to see and follow. Also want to see team records, game records, and baseball records more evident to see like NBA 2K does.

1. You do have 32 team control on Madden. It is there. You can control every single aspect of every team if you want to do that.

2. I employ 30 team control for MLB The Show 20 and I do it mainly to control lineup integrity/pitching rotation and bullpen integrity. I also use it to do midseason contract extensions using a nice house rule system I employ. You are correct....you can control literally every aspect of every team. But most (including myself) do not have the time to do just do that. I have always let the CPU control their scouting, draft, player training etc. I just step in to keep lineups properly maintained which the CPU is horrid at.

3. Warmwind absolutely summed it up best of where some of us long time veterans of the series are at. The mode does not need an overhaul. Not in the least bit in fact. I love playing franchise mode on 20 and have a blast with it. Unfortunately though there are still some big legacy issues like “bullpen” management, trade logic (sorry it is worse on 21 not better), contract logic. Things that IMO would vastly be improved with expanding the rosters. Something we all thought was coming on the next gen and it simply did not. Yes they went from 90-93 man rosters....not enough to have the impact we all want. Scouting I never had a big issue with....but a 6 round draft is just not baseball. Not in the least. Expanded rosters is the #1 thing needed to really take franchise mode to the next level.

4. Y2Y was the single greatest feature they ever had. It is gone and I do not share your optimism it is coming back anytime soon if at all. That is a shame.

But yes....improve is a better word than fix. Because the mode works. I still love it and play it almost everyday.

To the other poster who thinks Madden has done nothing......you could not be farther from the truth. I played the heck out of the Beta for Madden 22. They have made significant changes to franchise mode and are dropping a huge scouting overhaul in a planned September update. They added more to franchise mode in one cycle than the Show has in 5 years combined.

They definitely committed to the off-line franchise player. And also made online franchise commissioner tools a lot better.

Speaking of online franchise. Although I am not much of an online franchise guy...SDS never made good for former online franchise guys. In fact they ignored them. Custom Leagues is nothing....nothing like what you can do on Madden in terms of a fully fledged online franchise experience. I feel bad for all those that enjoyed online franchise on The Show. It had it’s fair share of issues....but instead of fixing it...they scrapped it. Custom Leagues is good for small DD like leagues.....but not suitable for a real online franchise. And don’t get me started on how poorly online gameplay is with The Show....just a totally different game than offline. IMO horrid.

Anyway.....There is no real core difference between MLB 20 and MLB 21 in terms of franchise mode.

In fact.....I prefer the UI and logic on MLB 20 to MLB 21. And the presentation took a huge hit for those of us who utilize Sounds of the Show. And like Warm Wind pointed out...the loss of Y2Y (and roster importing as well) was a huge blow to a small but passionate segment of the Shows game playing population.

Something I would have never thought coming from PS4 to PS5. I think a lot of us were underwhelmed and for the first time for myself really let down by the game. And typically gameplay overcomes that.....not this year. Not in the least. (Fielding animations aside).

But that is another discussion and of course opinion.

Let’s hope we see a return to form in the coming years on the new consoles.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 08-09-2021 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-09-2021, 02:58 PM   #14
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSalsa

That's one of the things that I appreciate about SDS...they know their rosters aren't great, and that it's nearly impossible to create something even remotely close to good AI team management, so they gave us the tools to do it ourselves. Maybe that's not what everyone wants to hear, but I appreciate the 30 team control, and roster sharing, which is something that EA still hasn't done with the NHL series, and Madden only brought in recently. NBA 2K does this part right, as they allow you complete control of the back end.

Are there things that could take the game to the next level? Absolutely! The 90 (93 in '21) man rosters, IMO, is the main issue that holds the game back. It's why franchise mode gets all messed up 2-3 years down the road, because you've got these rosters that have a tonne of high-potential players, that all want to get paid, and that the CPU teams can't afford.

There are a ton of "Little things" that larger rosters would allow-International free agency, spring training invitations, more dynamic use of the 40 man roster, bigger drafts, etc. I'm assuming that it would be similar if you used the out of the box rosters-potentials all over the board, which creates a more realistic pay-gap between stars and non-stars.

Really though, that's my main gripe with this game-The rosters size. I'm assuming that's why people have a blast with created rosters like Bacon's fictional one...because the potentials don't screw up your league.

And yeah, I get that a lot of people probably don't want to use 30 team control, because it sounds horribly time consuming. IMO it's not at all. I let the CPU control itself 99% of the time, then I just fix the little blips throughout the season. Would it be awesome for the CPU AI/trade engine/contract logic to be tip-top? Yesssssir, but I haven't seen a sports game yet that gets it right.
Old 08-09-2021, 03:10 PM   #15
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Honestly, the hashtag needs to be #stopignoringoffline.

SDS has done a subpar job the last couple of years addressing the needs of the offline community across the modes. RTTS has been gutted due to the oddities with that new "ballplayer" motif. Offline DD has been basically ignored, with very little robust content (cards are not content) geared towards offline players since launch. And well, we all know how much "love" franchise has gotten.

As someone that isn't JUST a franchise guy, but IS a dedicated offline-only player, it's frustrating. But it is NOT just franchise that has been ignored.

The only thing that keeps me playing is the incredible gameplay on the diamond.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2021, 03:45 PM   #16
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20

Yeah I don't scout, draft, or train players for the cpu. I let the game scout and train my own players anyway cause it's tedious and boring to me. But it's hardly any extra time to do a lot of things for the cpu imo. Setting up realistic trades at the deadline based on standings isn't difficult. And signing free agents isn't either if you keep it simple. Number teams in the running who realistically could sign said free agent. Whatever random number app comes up is who gets the player. Same with trades. Whoever gets the player being traded, including your team is still random but more realistic. The options are there to make franchise as perfect as you want or desire it to be.

And I disagree. Bullpen logic is far and away the best ever in 21. They still bring in LRP when certain things trigger it, but not near as often as before. They actually bring in multiple guys within one inning now regardless of stamina or effectiveness if the matchup says they should. The 3 batter rule helps bullpen logic a ton however and probably a big reason why it is improved.

Roster size for this game definitely needs a huge increase. I'd love to see low A and high A ball even. But until then I turn injuries off for minor league games so a bunch of the minor leaguers aren't on the IL and you have guys available to call up for MLB injuries. Makes the low 90 man roster manageable and able to work with.

Madden I haven't played in years so didn't realize they had 32 team control. But no custom rosters on Madden will always hinder their franchise mode.

https://www.youtube.com/DarthRambo

Last edited by DarthRambo; 08-09-2021 at 03:57 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »