Home

#fixtheshowfranchise

This is a discussion on #fixtheshowfranchise within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2021, 02:16 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: #fixtheshowfranchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
Madden has custom rosters, classic rosters and a roster share feature.

I also do trades at the deadline etc....a lot of fun.

Again I don’t think franchise mode needs an overhaul. But it clearly lacks attention.

Also...bullpen logic....maybe horrid was the wrong word. But 20 also has the 3 batter rule and it can be terrible at times. But I also played 21....largely the same logic. Something I always have done is move every pitcher out of the long reliever role which helps alleviate some of the inherent flaws. But go ahead and take a look at the end of the season....the CPU uses the same pitchers too often. Both on 20 and 21. It is an area that needs work. Lineup logic....needs a makeover as well too. Hence why I control it so that fixes it for me and many others who use 30 team control. but what about those that do not want to use that? They should put some effort into CPU AI logic across the board.

Again....I don’t think many here are looking for a complete overhaul. But looking for some TLC and attention to the core AI and of course heavily expanded rosters.

The game is great. But the mode is long long overdue for some real hardcore tuning.
You have to rotate the guys roles in the bullpen to even out the innings/appearances. Something that helps too is putting a short reliever in the lrp spot and if they're using someone too long, putting them in the second setup where hey will rarely get used.

Also keep in mind if you dont have your injury numbers up, you're not going to get accurate bullpen stats if all 8 receivers are playing 162 games. So injuries are a way you can manage bullpen usage as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2021, 02:41 PM   #26
MVP

bryanm1982's Arena

There are tools that we can use to keep our franchise the way we want it to work. We have 30 team control and we can turn what we want to manual and can control it. But not everybody has the time or wants to do the 30 team control. I have lineups on manual so I can set up everyone's bullpen. I am at the end of July and most teams RP have 30-40 IP which I think is a good mark. That is the 4 MRP, SU1, and CP.

But I think we are getting at is that the CPU logic should do some of that on its own so we don't have to.

https://twitch.tv/bryanm1982

Braves Franchise

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Old 08-10-2021, 02:55 PM   #27
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanm1982
There are tools that we can use to keep our franchise the way we want it to work. We have 30 team control and we can turn what we want to manual and can control it. But not everybody has the time or wants to do the 30 team control. I have lineups on manual so I can set up everyone's bullpen. I am at the end of July and most teams RP have 30-40 IP which I think is a good mark. That is the 4 MRP, SU1, and CP.

But I think we are getting at is that the CPU logic should do some of that on its own so we don't have to.
Of course.

I think my expectations have really lowered as far as AI roster management in any game after playing OOTP. Even OOTP required a ton of management on my end, saw a lot of trades that were dumb, signings that dont make sense , etc.

IT may be on us too kinda of manage these things the way we see fit. I just was for more customization as far as specific tasks in franchise . For example, bet Abel to edit a pitcher to have a pitch limit, not be able to pitch 3 days in a row, lock in a hitter as a leadoff man or 2 hole guy, force start a prospect who's rating may be lower than the person ahead of him..

It seems easier for them as well to not have to redo lineup logic, allow me to lock in the 2,3,4 hitter and their ai can rearrange around that without making the lineup too unrealistic.
Old 08-11-2021, 09:09 AM   #28
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

I think that is the wrong hashtag. It should be something like #focusonmlbfranchise or #improvemlbfranchise.

Yes, it worked on Madden, but there is a bigger fanbase there. Honestly though, it was still the wrong hashtag for madden. Like MLB franchise, Madden has become stale. Neither is broken. To note, I am looking forward to Madden. But it's franchise mode did not need "fixed" as I had the most fun with a franchise in 21 since my time with Madden 18 and 16 respectively.

Anyway, on to the show. The Show's franchise mode is not broken. Fix implies it does not function. I can run franchises just fine on MLB 20 and earlier versions.

As many on here know, I have been very focal on my feelings about MLB 21 franchise mode and it's problems I think it has. But, I would not call it broken. It still functions just fine. Just not as good as its predecessors.

I want to see some improvements in franchise just like everyone else. Give us larger rosters, better scouting, improved draft class generation, and better progression and regression. Those are my big ones. I also want to see them improve the trade/budget/roster logic. I personally do not use 30 team control and feel that we as a player base should not have to to fix some of the roster management issues. I also get why players do use it though. But that's not my point. My point is that we shouldn't need full team control to keep a franchise in line.

My main point here is that a different hashtag would be better. It's not broken. It, like other franchise modes, has gotten stale and bland, and needs new life invigorated into it.

But I don't see it getting the steam behind it that madden franchise did. EA said that many more people play franchise and that is why it was a bigger push on social media.

I would gladly support a truthful hashtag for the MLB series but the player base on franchise in this game isn't loud enough to make the push.

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Farming Simulator 22 (PC)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment
Old 08-11-2021, 11:59 AM   #29
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerWolf
I think franchise modes (across the big three anyway) have a relatively solid base, but they all could use some upgrades. Madden seems to be attempting this with M22. I'll wait and see how it actually works before giving them too much praise though.

Areas where I think The Show could improve:

Bullpen logic
It's better, but still not great. It's rare in today's MLB for relievers to go more than an inning at a time. But CPU teams have no problem using guys for two innings or more. And I've seen the CPU use a guy for four innings and then bring him right back the next day.

Trade logic
Again, better but not great. Rebuilding teams still deal top prospects for rentals. The Mariners, who are rebuilding in my franchise, are hell bent on trading reigning rookie of the year Kyle Lewis. I've had to "block" them trading him. MLB teams make bad trades all the time, so I can handle bad trades. But completely illogical trades shouldn't happen.

The trade deadline is another example. Michael Brantley has been on the trade block all season. He just signed a new two-year deal and made the All-Star team for a division leader. Why are the Astros trying to trade him? Marcus Stroman, a Cy Young candidate for a playoff contender, is also on the block. Why? But Craig Kimbrel, a free agent to be on a team out of contention, isn't on the block.

Franchise presentation
I'm not a huge fan of the Madden and 2K Twitter feeds, but at least it's something. MLB has the radio show, which I turned off. I want something visual. NCAA used to have the SI covers, which I loved. That's a bit archaic now, but a web page or something keeping me abreast of what's going on in the rest of the league would be nice.

One example, I just hit the All-Star break in my franchise. The only way I could see who actually made the All-Star teams was to start the All-Star game. That's just bad.

The trade deadline is a huge deal in MLB. I'd love a full screen with trade rumors and news. We sort of get that, I guess. You've got the trade block and it shows three teams interested in each player. But it's pretty bare bones. If the Yankees are looking for a CF, then they're listed as interested in every CF on the block. I want something more team specific. The Nats are willing to trade Scherzer, but he'd prefer to play on the West Coast, so the Dodgers and Padres are interested. But the Rays, who are also looking for SP aren't because the cost is too high. I just feel like the trade deadline a huge missed opportunity in the game.

The Twins are on a 10-game winning streak in my franchise, after having won 14 straight earlier. But the only way I know this is by looking at the standings. Another missed opportunity.

Those are a few things off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more. I love MLB 21. It's my favorite in the series and on the short list of best sports games I've ever played. The gameplay has been phenomenal for me. But there's definitely room for improvement in franchise.
Wasn't this NCAA Football 2004?

I think the first sports game I ever played. I still remember my pride when in year 2 I went on the road with Ball State and beat Notre Dame and my QB was on the SI cover. Looking back, I was way too excited.

The mid-2000's NCAA games had the best franchise of any game ever. The game play itself is almost unplayable, but darn the presentation is still beautiful.
Old 08-11-2021, 01:56 PM   #30
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

All of the franchise ideas that Deuce had (or has and wants to implement) into Madden are incredible.

But...think of all the different aspects of baseball and the progress of an MLB player. Scouting, drafting, development in the minors, development in the majors, free agency and arbitration/options, stats GALORE, etc. It's a true gold mine of potential IMO. There's plenty of options too for microtransactions even in franchise to speed things up or get boosts, better coaches, better development, etc.

SCEA has maintained they are producing what they believe is wanted most based on their focus group tests and feedback. Until that begins to sway to a stronger desire for franchise, I don't see this changing.
It's hard though...especially when I got my neighbor playing their franchise across the street...maybe I will occupy myself with Glamore Magazine.

Last edited by Speedy; 08-11-2021 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-11-2021, 03:07 PM   #31
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

The downfall of all Franchise modes is that they are tied to the contractual yearly release cycle.

I think the fanbase would be better served if they broke out and were able to be fully developed the way other great titles are.

IF they really wanted to make these modes great.

I'm not convinced they do. The football game especially.

Last edited by Madden08PCgmr; 08-11-2021 at 03:10 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2021, 05:38 PM   #32
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden08PCgmr
The downfall of all Franchise modes is that they are tied to the contractual yearly release cycle.

I think the fanbase would be better served if they broke out and were able to be fully developed the way other great titles are.

IF they really wanted to make these modes great.

I'm not convinced they do. The football game especially.
So franchise is a completely separate game? IDK about that.
It's hard though...especially when I got my neighbor playing their franchise across the street...maybe I will occupy myself with Glamore Magazine.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »