Home

The AI does not know how to be patient at the plate

This is a discussion on The AI does not know how to be patient at the plate within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-08-2022, 05:35 PM   #9
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: The AI does not know how to be patient at the plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
See, this is EXACTLY what is wrong with modern slider gurus.

You look right past the obvious and go straight for sliders so you don’t have to adjust strategy and learn something.

Yes, throw more pitches outside the zone on purpose. Have a purpose.

I cannot imagine the cascade of dumb results someone would get from lowering accuracy just to throw more balls. But that keeps slider gurus in business.
I agree with this 100.

Sent from my thoughts
Old 04-08-2022, 05:50 PM   #10
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

OVR: 0

What I would ask first is what your pitching strategy is.

At 87 pitches for a complete game and near 80 percent strikes, are you just pounding the strike zone? That is 9 pitches per inning and 3 per batter.

When the count is 0-2 or 1-2, are you throwing over the plate? You should be throwing outside the zone to change eye level and location and get them to chase something for a swing and miss or weak contact. If I am pitching and ahead 0-2, I am not coming back into the zone until I am at 2-2. I would rather have a hitter hit 4 foul balls on borderline pitches and get his timing off instead of giving him something to hit. Same goes for the CPU when pitching. If I am down 0-2, there is little chance I get a ball to drive at that count. And I shouldn't.

I did sliders last year and regretted it because every time some one saw something it gave me slideritis. There are a few sliders that need adjusted this year, but consistency and control are not among them on all star and HoF. (Wind, trade, outfield speed, solid hits, and starter stamina are all I have changed and it plays better than 20, and way better than 21)

First thing I would do is change my strategy. If you want realistic results (different ideas for everyone here) you have to play that way. Change your pitching strategy and go from there before you start messing with control and consistency sliders. If that doesn't help, change the difficulty.

Also I may have missed it but pitching interface are you using. If meter, changing to classic will help this too. And definitely before I would go to change consistency and control. Also turn off the hot zones.

Edit: I use classic pitching with classic fade.

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Farming Simulator 22 (PC)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment

Last edited by Funkycorm; 04-08-2022 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-08-2022, 06:06 PM   #11
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkycorm
What I would ask first is what your pitching strategy is.

At 87 pitches for a complete game and near 80 percent strikes, are you just pounding the strike zone? That is 9 pitches per inning and 3 per batter.

When the count is 0-2 or 1-2, are you throwing over the plate? You should be throwing outside the zone to change eye level and location and get them to chase something for a swing and miss or weak contact. If I am pitching and ahead 0-2, I am not coming back into the zone until I am at 2-2. I would rather have a hitter hit 4 foul balls on borderline pitches and get his timing off instead of giving him something to hit. Same goes for the CPU when pitching. If I am down 0-2, there is little chance I get a ball to drive at that count. And I shouldn't.

I did sliders last year and regretted it because every time some one saw something it gave me slideritis. There are a few sliders that need adjusted this year, but consistency and control are not among them on all star and HoF. (Wind, trade, outfield speed, solid hits, and starter stamina are all I have changed and it plays better than 20, and way better than 21)

First thing I would do is change my strategy. If you want realistic results (different ideas for everyone here) you have to play that way. Change your pitching strategy and go from there before you start messing with control and consistency sliders. If that doesn't help, change the difficulty.

Also I may have missed it but pitching interface are you using. If meter, changing to classic will help this too. And definitely before I would go to change consistency and control. Also turn off the hot zones.

Edit: I use classic pitching with classic fade.
Agree. If someone for example is using classic pitching on hall of fame with no slider tweaking, and throwing every pitch in the strike zone, eventually they will get crushed. It might work for a short stretch of time, but eventually you get crushed that way .

Sent from my thoughts
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2022, 06:19 PM   #12
Rookie

Seancefc's Arena

I’ve notched up CPU contact to 8/10 on legendary and now I’m much more deliberate with my pitches…I’m walking more hitters as a result of being scared to give them anything over the plate and they chase less. It’s a pretty good reflection of how real life batters act.

I found in 21 I could pretty much pitch the ball to the exact spot I wanted 9/10 times so have decreased my pitcher control and also consistency (may not be called that!), I’ve done the same in 22 and have found a really enjoyable balance.

Start with sliders to see if that gives you desired results, if not increase difficulty.
Old 04-08-2022, 06:32 PM   #13
MVP

I think All Star difficulty is the first thing u have to consider changing, try armors sliders and play style as I really find his set enjoyable and realistic

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 04-08-2022, 07:27 PM   #14
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20

Deleted cause no need to be attacked.

https://www.youtube.com/DarthRambo

Last edited by DarthRambo; 04-09-2022 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-08-2022, 08:00 PM   #15
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

Game out of the box doesn’t fit everyone’s ability with the controller, thus sliders. That’s what they’re there for. I do believe a lot of people want instant gratification and can get into a continual cycle of slider adjustments. Just my opinion.

For me, I don’t touch them. I use classic pitching with ball fade. For a “good” time I will turn it off and go with the feel. The attributes of the pitchers are enough that you don’t necessarily have to throw off the plate but a lot of factors/attributes will/may do that for you.

For me I love playing with the hitters then nail them on an ugly swing on a ball up and in out of the strike zone. The CPU WILL chase pitches. That’s the beauty of the pitcher/batter duel.

I have never used anyone else’s sliders regardless of how good someone claims they are. I’ll go with default and IF I feel something isn’t right I just experiment on my own, but so far, so good.

I play AS v AS.

Last edited by KnightTemplar; 04-08-2022 at 08:03 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2022, 11:38 PM   #16
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSalsa
Lowering control doesn't mean throw outside the zone on purpose. I always pitch wherever the catcher says along with pitch type. I use ball marker so I 100% always aim inside the strikezone. Default control and consistency means I rarely throw a ball outside the zone. I refuse to purposely throw a ball just so the cpu works a count. If I can paint corners all game with my fastball then I'm throwing it nearly every time.

You can't tell me IRL a pitcher hits his mark 90-95% of the time. I would say the ball hits where they're aiming a good 60-65% of the time. And using classic pitching you have to learn how to feel pitches. If one isn't locating no matter what that is like real life. You just stick to the fastball and work in your off speed pitches sporadically until you gain some confidence in the pitch. Then it will start hitting the strikezone.

What exactly is the obvious if we're not supposed to touch sliders given to us to use?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
First, I use classic pitching. I have no idea what that has to do with aiming every pitch into the strike zone like a little leaguer that can't make the jump to high school ball.

If you aren't throwing sliders away out of the zone, curveballs in the dirt, and heaters up above the zone, you aren't doing anything but serving up batting practice.

Sliders are good to tweak a personal experience. This notion sim gamers got in the 90's that sliders were the key to all that is sim and good in sports games ruined gameplay for a generation. It's finally improved in recent years, to the point you really don't have to adjust out of the box much at all.

The really frustrating part is how these forums encourage this behavior, to the point that people come here complaining about the game they ruined themselves. I mean, I can't think of a bigger fail of a baseball forum than somehow influencing baseball fans into thinking aiming outside of the zone is bad.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »