Home

The AI does not know how to be patient at the plate

This is a discussion on The AI does not know how to be patient at the plate within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-23-2022, 04:15 AM   #33
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: The AI does not know how to be patient at the plate

Any input method can be fine. But using Classic, I can’t make Steve Matz pitch like Steve Carlton, no matter what.

If you master an input like meter or pinpoint, you can outperform a player’s real life skills.

And here’s the funny part. Guys use sliders to adjust how the game reacts to whatever input they use. People actually complain that when they perform better than the real life player, and then use sliders to make it so that they can change nothing, but now get the results the want.

That’s fine. People should play how they want. But it seems ludicrous to, year after year, try to force some arcade input to act EXACTLY like Classic pitching. EXACTLY.

They make it it easier or harder, tweaking and tweaking and tweaking to get that good balance that never happens. Well, it does if you use Classic pitching. You can tell me that because you adjusted sliders to make each pitch appropriately accurate, that you are “playing the game” more than the guy that just hits “A”. But I don’t think going through a convoluted, multi-step process that is different for every person to make hitting “A” more complicated.

Because, if you are going to tweak sliders until you get sim results, why not press “A”? You are literally playing Paint-By-Numbers, and acting like artists. When you tweaked the sliders to make the result exactly the same as real life, you just ruined the point.

It’s different if you are playing head to head, or even playing solo in Diamond Dynasty, because there are no sliders. You should use whatever input mode makes you perform best. Because it is not about realism, it’s about outperforming your opponents.

But Solo Play is different. For me, using Classic Pitching, Directional Hitting, Assisted Fielding, and Button Throwing is the perfect Simcade balance. That doesn’t make using other inputs is bad. But if all you are going to do is tweak sliders to get the same results, why bother?
Old 05-23-2022, 07:02 AM   #34
MVP

MetsFan16's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
Any input method can be fine. But using Classic, I can’t make Steve Matz pitch like Steve Carlton, no matter what.

If you master an input like meter or pinpoint, you can outperform a player’s real life skills.

And here’s the funny part. Guys use sliders to adjust how the game reacts to whatever input they use. People actually complain that when they perform better than the real life player, and then use sliders to make it so that they can change nothing, but now get the results the want.

That’s fine. People should play how they want. But it seems ludicrous to, year after year, try to force some arcade input to act EXACTLY like Classic pitching. EXACTLY.

They make it it easier or harder, tweaking and tweaking and tweaking to get that good balance that never happens. Well, it does if you use Classic pitching. You can tell me that because you adjusted sliders to make each pitch appropriately accurate, that you are “playing the game” more than the guy that just hits “A”. But I don’t think going through a convoluted, multi-step process that is different for every person to make hitting “A” more complicated.

Because, if you are going to tweak sliders until you get sim results, why not press “A”? You are literally playing Paint-By-Numbers, and acting like artists. When you tweaked the sliders to make the result exactly the same as real life, you just ruined the point.

It’s different if you are playing head to head, or even playing solo in Diamond Dynasty, because there are no sliders. You should use whatever input mode makes you perform best. Because it is not about realism, it’s about outperforming your opponents.

But Solo Play is different. For me, using Classic Pitching, Directional Hitting, Assisted Fielding, and Button Throwing is the perfect Simcade balance. That doesn’t make using other inputs is bad. But if all you are going to do is tweak sliders to get the same results, why bother?

I pitch with pinpoint and tweak sliders. Why? Because classic pitching is boring. I want to feel like I’m out there painting corners or hanging breaking balls because I nailed/messed up my pinpoint.

Sitting there pressing X is boring for me personally, I understand it is the best way to utilize player ratings but I am looking to execute my pitches as well as get accurate statistics.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 05-23-2022, 08:11 AM   #35
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL

A few things here:

* I play using default sliders with meter pitching and am able to get realistic results. I don't dominate pitching, I don't lead the league in strikeouts, hits allowed, hr allowed, ERA, etc...In fact I'd say I average around mid-pack in all pitching categories combined

* You make it seem as though mastering the meter is simple. Its not. The meter changes speed from pitcher to pitcher based on their pitching motion and changes with the same pitcher between windup and stretch. I would say that out of an average of 130-140 pitches thrown per game, I may average 10-15% of those as perfect release/accuracy pitches.

* Even if by chance you could/did master meter pitching, you cannot 100% triumph/override player ratings. Its not possible as user input is only a part of the equation that is used to determine the outcome of any one individual pitch. The game simply isn't designed for this to happen, at least on SIMULATION play style settings

Classic pitching may be your preferred method for a simulation experience, but you're reasoning as to why those who choose meter/pinpoint pitching mechanics are "less sim" and playing an "arcade" style is full of fallacies and ignorance.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

Last edited by countryboy; 05-23-2022 at 08:12 AM. Reason: spelling
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2022, 09:44 AM   #36
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

OVR: 0

Some guys can’t hit on ROOKIE….some guys dominate on LEGEND. There is really no answer. The game has choices, sliders, settings. Every gamer has the chance to figure it out for themselves. Then there’s the gamers ability with the controller.
I personally don’t believe it’s the game, but the gamer. Pretty obvious by the sometimes head scratching results that are posted on these boards.
Old 05-23-2022, 12:00 PM   #37
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
A few things here:

* I play using default sliders with meter pitching and am able to get realistic results. I don't dominate pitching, I don't lead the league in strikeouts, hits allowed, hr allowed, ERA, etc...In fact I'd say I average around mid-pack in all pitching categories combined

* You make it seem as though mastering the meter is simple. Its not. The meter changes speed from pitcher to pitcher based on their pitching motion and changes with the same pitcher between windup and stretch. I would say that out of an average of 130-140 pitches thrown per game, I may average 10-15% of those as perfect release/accuracy pitches.

* Even if by chance you could/did master meter pitching, you cannot 100% triumph/override player ratings. Its not possible as user input is only a part of the equation that is used to determine the outcome of any one individual pitch. The game simply isn't designed for this to happen, at least on SIMULATION play style settings

Classic pitching may be your preferred method for a simulation experience, but you're reasoning as to why those who choose meter/pinpoint pitching mechanics are "less sim" and playing an "arcade" style is full of fallacies and ignorance.
You are doing a disservice to yourself and lying to us when you state you can’t override ratings using meter/pulse pitching. It only takes a few pitches to get used to the timing of a new pitcher. An average meter user can take a guy with very low control and paint corners we’ve all seen this.

There’s nothing realistic about aiming pitches and finding the strike zone consistently with anyone.
Old 05-23-2022, 12:14 PM   #38
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by loso_34
You are doing a disservice to yourself and lying to us when you state you can’t override ratings using meter/pulse pitching. It only takes a few pitches to get used to the timing of a new pitcher. An average meter user can take a guy with very low control and paint corners we’ve all seen this.

There’s nothing realistic about aiming pitches and finding the strike zone consistently with anyone.
Actually I'm not, but ok...

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 05-23-2022, 12:59 PM   #39
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownKid
I've played about 10 games so far as the White Sox on default All-Star.
2 pages worth of conversation without acknowledging the most critical point of this post.

10 whole games...
Old 05-23-2022, 02:15 PM   #40
MVP

AUTiger1's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
A few things here:

Thank you for this response and explaining things much better than I could have. Personally I kinda felt attacked in that post because I use meter pitching and it was like I can't play the way I want to and get realistic results unless I use classic pitching.
Detroit Red Wings
Winnipeg Jets

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »