Home

EA Sports MMA One and Done?

This is a discussion on EA Sports MMA One and Done? within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-25-2010, 04:07 PM   #25
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: EA Sports MMA One and Done?

The big question is whether or not they'll cut their losses now or support the game at least through a couple of patches.

If they do the latter the game, like APF 2k8, will never grow old. To this day you can still find a game online with APF, I see EA MMA having the same longevity if they don't release a new title.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2010, 04:10 PM   #26
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Exclusive deals suck. I wonder if the day where a top sports game (ie Madden, NBA2K or NHL) is made exclusive to one console is close at hand.

Dana White is very shortsighted in the deal he made with THQ. I get it that he's miffed at EA, but all of that took place before Peter Moore took over.

Why not sell the license to both? All it could do is expand the interest of your sport.
If you're a businessman you can't let bitterness cloud your judgement.
Even UFC 2010 sales were lower than expected, the MMA market just isn't large enough to have 2 game companies producing content with the same license.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:15 PM   #27
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Exclusive deals suck. I wonder if the day where a top sports game (ie Madden, NBA2K or NHL) is made exclusive to one console is close at hand.

Dana White is very shortsighted in the deal he made with THQ. I get it that he's miffed at EA, but all of that took place before Peter Moore took over.

Why not sell the license to both? All it could do is expand the interest of your sport.
If you're a businessman you can't let bitterness cloud your judgement.
As a businessman, you also should do buisness with companies you trust. Everybody here spins UFC10 as if it was a disaster and it wasnt. It was a disaster as a game but it was profitable for both THQ and the UFC...just not as profitable as 09. The UFC is happy with THQ and vice versa. Also video gamers are fickle as hell. As great as EA's game is, if THQ greatly improves UFC in 2012 the gamers will come in droves.

The whole reason they decided to go to the two yr plan wasnt because they saw UFC10 as a disaster but because they thought the MMA market was not big enough to justify an annual release. So with that line of thinking, why would they think the market would be strong enough to support two games by two different companies?
Old 10-25-2010, 04:19 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 12

This is the most sim like sports game EA ever created IMO.. As was said.. I actually fear good grapplers.. They play to their strengths.. The AI is very good.. FN is still too arcady.. Throwing 200 punches a round is lame.. You know a sports game leads to the arcade side when it's popular with the masses.. Again.. It's about profit.

Audio set up:
Benchmark DAC1
headphones: Balanced Sony SA5000/Sen 650 AKG 340
Old 10-25-2010, 04:21 PM   #29
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

There's been games that have sold poorly AND got poor reviews that get sequels from companies that don't have nearly the money EA does. This certianly should. At the very least if this doesn't get a sequel sell off the engine to THQ so they can use it to make UFC not suck.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:24 PM   #30
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46

Hope they deliver a knockout blow with FN...
Old 10-25-2010, 04:31 PM   #31
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by goh
There's been games that have sold poorly AND got poor reviews that get sequels from companies that don't have nearly the money EA does. This certianly should. At the very least if this doesn't get a sequel sell off the engine to THQ so they can use it to make UFC not suck.
EA's is putting significant marketing muscle behind this game so you cant compare it to other EA games that have sold poorly. I swear I saw that MMA commercial 20 times this wknd. Not saying they wont make a sequel but without the sales, I dont see why they would.

Its not like the UFC's brand isnt going to be bigger in 2012 and if they stay on the same release schedule they will be releasing the game around the same time as the UFC's game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2010, 04:36 PM   #32
Rookie

HiTEqMETHOD's Arena

OVR: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
I doubt it be one and done, even with poor sales, EA has deep pockets and could absorb bad sales. I mean hell look at their street games, those sold poorly but they still sold it for 3 years straight.

It would be a shame though, THQ killed wrestling games when they got the WWE license for a long term contract years ago and they will do the same with MMA by having the UFC contract for long term.
I'm not so sure EA are as willing as they used to be in terms of taking losses on the chin and still pumping out games. EA is really being hit hard it terms of all these problems piling up. Elite is delayed and it's reputation hurt even before the first game was released, Madden has been on a steady decline, and now their MMA game doesn't sell.

Things could get very ugly in the coming years for EA, especially if 2K is able to make another NFL game. EA could possibly end up resting on their laurels when it comes to the NHL and FIFA franchises because they want to take the safe rout with what works and those great games could end up becoming stale like Madden.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »