Home

UFC 142 - Aldo v. Mendes - Jan. 14 - Brazil

This is a discussion on UFC 142 - Aldo v. Mendes - Jan. 14 - Brazil within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #73
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: UFC 142 - Aldo v. Mendes - Jan. 14 - Brazil

Anybody else see how damn big Joe Rogan's arms are now ? Seriously, he got huge. Must be on the Overeem and Brock Lesnar diet.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #74
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

OVR: 31

Yep, there's no doubt the guy wet the bed.

But there's no way he wouldn't make LHW.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #75
Hall Of Fame

Sandman42's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan
I say just take away a lot of his purse and then basically mandate that this is his last warning. Have him move up to LHW for the time being, or scare him enough to make 185 next time around.

I don't like the idea of cutting one of the most entertaining fighters out there. Despite jeopardizing an event and despite tainting this fight. But I'm sure if they let him go, he'll win a few fights in another org, and then come back anyway in the future.
They cut Marquardt for essentially killing a main event at the last minute. That's what Johnson almost just did. Belfort could of had the right to refuse the fight. I'm sure he's getting a nice bonus paycheck from Zuffa for taking the fight.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #76
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

Rumble is a whole hell of a lot more exciting than Nate though. But whatever, I won't be mad either way. He'll end up back in the UFC regardless.

Now what's the deal with Rumble having to weigh in at 205?? Does he have to be at that weight for the fight? He's gonna die if so.

If the fight is completely cancelled, then yes, you would have to fire Rumble.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #77
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman42
It's not fair to the guys he's up against though. He's pretty much at a full weight class above Belfort. It puts him at a huge advantage since he didn't have to go through a full weight cut. Also apparently his team only notified the UFC today that he was going to miss weight by a lot. If you're over by 12 pounds then the team has to know he's not going to make weight a few days in advance. Why they wait until today to let the UFC know is beyond me.
I blame Rashad Evans, because that is the team Rumble fights out of now down in Florida. So apparently they be doing too much partying down there or something.

I mean seriously, when I was in the military we had to make weight for our height all the time. Therefore you were always hopping on a scale on a regular basis to make sure you stayed at or below your weight class.

To be 12 pounds over ? Trying to tell me you didn't get on a scale at all until this morning ? BS. Apparently 20% isn't big enough of a fine. Dana needs to start taking the whole pay check away and start suspending dudes for 6 months.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #78
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

So they're basically making this into a last minute LHW bout?

Rumble is gonna feel off by fight time... with the second weigh in tomorrow having to weigh in at under 205

Just before the UFC 142 weigh-ins on Friday in Rio de Janeiro, UFC President Dana White announced that Johnson is over the 185-pound limit and won't be able to get down, and so the fight is in jeopardy, although Belfort is expected to agree to fight Johnson anyway.

"Rumble Johnson is not on weight today. And when I say he's not on weight he's way off weight," White said.

So the UFC has essentially decided to turn this into a light heavyweight bout, but with an added condition: They'll have a second weigh-in on Saturday at which Johnson will have to make it under the light heavyweight limit of 205 pounds again. If Johnson can't make weight then, the fight is off.

"The stipulation is, Vitor does not want him to weigh more than 205 pounds by tomorrow at like 2 o'clock in the afternoon," White said. "So we'll see how this thing plays out. He'll weigh in today and have to weigh in tomorrow."

White made it clear that he's not happy with Johnson.

"As a fighter, you are a professional. You are contracted to come in at a certain weight. This is not the first time this has happened with Johnson. He moved up to 185 pounds so this wouldn't happen to him at 170 pounds, and here we are in the same position again. [Belfort] came in like a professional on weight, and Anthony Johnson comes in as a total unprofessional, way overweight."

White appeared angry enough on Friday that this might be Johnson's final fight in the UFC in any weight class.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #79
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan
I say just take away a lot of his purse and then basically mandate that this is his last warning. Have him move up to LHW for the time being, or scare him enough to make 185 next time around.

I don't like the idea of cutting one of the most entertaining fighters out there. Despite jeopardizing an event and despite tainting this fight. But I'm sure if they let him go, he'll win a few fights in another org, and then come back anyway in the future.
Ex, you can't trust the guy. Lets say we take your approach. Scare him enough to make 185. Lets say he does it the next two times and wins. Thats 3 wins at MW. Then you give him a title shot.

Would you really trust this guy to make 185 in the title fight? What about when he defends the belt? There is way too much money on the line to risk this with an unprofessional fighter. Think if he main events a Fox who, can't make weight and they have to cancel a fight.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #80
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
I blame Rashad Evans, because that is the team Rumble fights out of now down in Florida. So apparently they be doing too much partying down there or something.

I mean seriously, when I was in the military we had to make weight for our height all the time. Therefore you were always hopping on a scale on a regular basis to make sure you stayed at or below your weight class.

To be 12 pounds over ? Trying to tell me you didn't get on a scale at all until this morning ? BS. Apparently 20% isn't big enough of a fine. Dana needs to start taking the whole pay check away and start suspending dudes for 6 months.
LOL. I'm not gonna blame Rashad. Its not like he's Rumble's coach. Plus Johnson has been missing weight since before he trained with the Blackzillians.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »