Home

UFC 228: Woodley v Till

This is a discussion on UFC 228: Woodley v Till within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-09-2018, 12:30 AM   #97
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: UFC 228: Woodley v Till

I hope Woodley gets his respect finally now.

But I feel like there's gonna be a huge backpedalling campaign about how good Till is. Going into this fight Till was the boogyman and Woodley's nightmare matchup. This was the guy who went 5 rounds with Wonderboy standing.

Can we just chalk this up to Woodley put on a masterclass of how to completely shut down a dangerous opponent? I think its warranted.

58 to 0 strikes. 2nd round finish. What else does he need to do?
Old 09-09-2018, 12:36 AM   #98
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Grappler
Being said, Till is no McGregor. A lot of people including myself may have been thinking Till is a McGregoresque character with the forward pressure southpaw swag, but there’s a huge difference. Till’s tools are extremely limited, even his left is a bit wild and loopy. He seems like he has the presence, has he size, has he confidence, has the phantom pressure... but lacks the tools. Woodley just did exactly what he said he would... beat him everywhere and beat him with experience.

I know it’s easy to say after the fight... but we shoulda known, guys. This was a bit of a mismatch. Till beat an over-the-hill LW, and arguably lost to Thompson. Woodley has been getting Ws against top level competition.

McGregor vs Khabib is the REAL fight of 2018. A super competitive, well matched fight. McGregor has the presence and pressure, but ALSO the tools to back it up. Khabib is a 26-0 wrecking machine. That’s a fight that CAN’T disappoint. Till vs Woodley, well, did. It was a mismatch that deep down, we all suspected the fight could turn out to be.

My takeaways from this fight is that

A)Till lacks tools. He isn’t a very smart, or highly skilled fighter. He has the presence, but he’s one dimensional. No spinning kick, no jabs, no lead uppercuts... it’s just a hard wild left.

B) Woodley is for real. And he’s well rounded. And he’s likely the best welterweight in the world. There is some new talent we saw tonight, and some more established guys like Colby and Usman... perhaps they’ll be a better challenge for TWood but as of tonight, Woodley is the best WW.
I think Till has the tools man. His fight against Thompson showed how skilled he can be. He was using the early rounds to feel Woodley out and see what kinda looks he would get. But the dangerous thing for him and anyone Woodley fights is the big power in his right. Till went for a strike and just got countered nasty. Then he took some nasty GnP and was pretty much done tbh...the ref could have arguably stopped the fight at one point there. He was on the ground just trying to recover and survive and went for the old underhook which gave Woodley the chance for the darce. It didn't help that Till didn't have much to offer off his back either. But yh T-Wood for sure is the best WW in the world right now.

Last edited by WarMMA; 09-09-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:36 AM   #99
MVP

Hmm ...so apparently zabit's new nickname on Reddit is " Abe Lincoln " . Just saw the finish ...dammnnn ...this man ain't getting nerfed for a while .

Sent from my Infinix Zero 4 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 09-09-2018, 12:37 AM   #100
Sassy

MacGowan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Grappler
A)Till lacks tools. He isn’t a very smart, or highly skilled fighter. He has the presence, but he’s one dimensional. No spinning kick, no jabs, no lead uppercuts... it’s just a hard wild left.

B) Woodley is for real. And he’s well rounded. And he’s likely the best welterweight in the world. There is some new talent we saw tonight, and some more established guys like Colby and Usman... perhaps they’ll be a better challenge for TWood but as of tonight, Woodley is the best WW.
I agree with B. Like I said, people just don't know. He's like a Stipe of Welterweight, and it makes people look to the other more flashy guy. I bet Brock Lesnar's gonna be the betting favorite if DC and Brock fights. Cuz people are just that stupid. They bet with their heart and eyes, not with the stats. Woodley is a battle tested veteran. He went 10 rounds with Wonderboy, and although not a perfect comparison, a southpaw counter striker. I mean, Woodley's been here before.

Till is for real though. He is/was probably a top 5 Welterweight, but he got pushed too fast... Like UFC loves to do. Maybe he can go up to middleweight now and take his time. Look forward to seeing him again.

That should have been Colby in there. Just saying.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:37 AM   #101
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sails
Main Card Picks

Woodley
Shevchenko
Andrade
Suarez
Magomedsharipov
Did pretty well picks wise, this card really exceeded my expectations it was awesome. Two knee bars from back mount? Left head kick from hell? Jim Miller and Diego Sanchez get Ws? Great night!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2018, 12:43 AM   #102
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Quote:
I hope Woodley gets his respect finally now.

But I feel like there's gonna be a huge backpedalling campaign about how good Till is. Going into this fight Till was the boogyman and Woodley's nightmare matchup. This was the guy who went 5 rounds with Wonderboy standing.

Can we just chalk this up to Woodley put on a masterclass of how to completely shut down a dangerous opponent? I think its warranted.

58 to 0 strikes. 2nd round finish. What else does he need to do?
Yh ppl forgot that Woodley has been here before. Wonderboy is definitely a more skilled counter striker than Till so he obviously knows how to fight that style of guy and Woodley is a counter striker himself. But what makes him so dangerous and what makes playing the counter game dangerous against Woodley is that he is so explosive and quick. Also imo, the UFC tried to push Till too fast also. They wanted a more marketable WW champ and they are probably pissed Till lost tonight.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:49 AM   #103
Sassy

MacGowan's Arena

Quote:
Did pretty well picks wise, this card really exceeded my expectations it was awesome. Two knee bars from back mount? Left head kick from hell? Jim Miller and Diego Sanchez get Ws? Great night!
Good picks. Shevchenko arguably lost. Just give the woman her ****ing title already.

I got

Woodley - dec. V
Andrade - dec. V
Davis - dec X
Rivera - dec. V (Perfect pick)
Suarez - dec. V
Sterling - dec. V

I'm a boring guy. A hell of a lot more finishes than I thought. And who would have ever bet on Woodley SUBMITTING Till in the 2nd round?
Old 09-09-2018, 01:02 AM   #104
Pro

Whoa Miller and Sanchez got Ws? How? Especially Diego... he just looked so bad lately, I can’t imagine him getting the W outside a fluke KO. Gonna have to watch it

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »