Home

Domination is Dead...

This is a discussion on Domination is Dead... within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-19-2014, 07:16 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Domination is Dead...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolowizard
I agree that it's partially (if not completely) a money thing. That's to be expected, right? Do you guys think it was intended that anyone that wanted a full roster of gold cards had it in less than a week without spending anything out of pocket? For that matter, do you think the abundance of these "super teams" are good for the MyTeam mode?
I personally don't mind if people have stacked squads, especially when most (if not all) of their players are favorites of theirs.

I can see why it would be annoying to a lot of the more casual fans, but those players always seem to want to win straight away without figuring the game out or building up a decent team. As long as they're losing it's someone else's or something else's fault.

Having all of the "best" players doesn't guarantee a win anyway. It's which players work best for you and your team and how you use them. Personally, I use a lot of ball movement to create space for my shooters. When that's not working out I'll run a lot of Pick and Roll or throw the ball into my bigs. This method has allowed me to go undefeated so far in Road to the Playoffs. Several of those wins include some mega cheesers who gave me a scare.

Your quote about people not being able to have a Gold squad in a short amount of time without spending money on VC hits the nail on the head. This is about money.

What does it matter if people have "super teams" now or a couple months down the road? Most people who play to win will use their best assets. In this case it happens to be Gold players. Gold players, however, don't guarantee you victory because you still need a good amount of skill.

If MyTeam wasn't setup to encourage people to buy VC why are the packs so much? Why do we get so many duplicate cards? Hell, WHY the heck ARE there duplicate cards? Why are the "payouts" so small for each win? Why do we only receive a few Sapphire cards (they're really no better than their Gold counterparts) for winning Road to the Playoffs? And WHY THE HELL DO WE GET NOTHING AFTER BECOMING A FIRST SEED? It's all setup to encourage the "average" player to buy VC so they can "compete" because no one's ego can handle losing.

All I know is that Domination Mode was FUN. It was FUN unlocking all of those card packs and unlocking new cards to add to my collection. This "fix" takes away my FUN! Sure, some people weren't having as much fun because they lost, but those same guys would be complaining about something else because they'd still be losing.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:30 PM   #34
Rookie

wolowizard's Arena

I guess we just fundamentally disagree. When I see card packs, I think progression. That you gradually work your way up to having a better and better team. Seems like that's half the point, or why not just give everyone the quickmode rosters?

I agree that getting the card packs was more fun than not getting them. But it never crossed my mind that was intentional. But I also enjoy the mode just for the sake of playing, so I still find it entertaining.

As for duplicates, I guess I think of it like buying baseball cards or whatever back in the day. Some cards were just more common than others and yeah it sucked to get duplicates. But that's part of the fun of buying packs. Or again, why have packs at all?
Old 01-20-2014, 09:31 AM   #35
Rookie

Quote:
I guess we just fundamentally disagree. When I see card packs, I think progression. That you gradually work your way up to having a better and better team. Seems like that's half the point, or why not just give everyone the quickmode rosters?

I agree that getting the card packs was more fun than not getting them. But it never crossed my mind that was intentional. But I also enjoy the mode just for the sake of playing, so I still find it entertaining.

As for duplicates, I guess I think of it like buying baseball cards or whatever back in the day. Some cards were just more common than others and yeah it sucked to get duplicates. But that's part of the fun of buying packs. Or again, why have packs at all?
While we disagree on a few things you make some very good points.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-20-2014, 09:41 AM   #36
Rookie

wolowizard's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Miami
While we disagree on a few things you make some very good points.
To be fair, given the choice, I'd probably choose to have it back the way it was. I think it would hurt the game long term, but it would be more fun for quite a while.

I mentioned this in another thread, I'd like to see them have an option to up the difficulty after you've gotten 99*. When that happens, it resets all the stars/packs. So you get both a couple more shots at all the packs and a continuing sense of progression. You could also probably add some fancy completion rewards as I have a feeling that would get pretty hard to complete.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:54 AM   #37
Rookie

Quote:
To be fair, given the choice, I'd probably choose to have it back the way it was. I think it would hurt the game long term, but it would be more fun for quite a while.

I mentioned this in another thread, I'd like to see them have an option to up the difficulty after you've gotten 99*. When that happens, it resets all the stars/packs. So you get both a couple more shots at all the packs and a continuing sense of progression. You could also probably add some fancy completion rewards as I have a feeling that would get pretty hard to complete.
Now that would be fantastic!

Imagine playing the All-Star teams and the MT team on HoF difficulty. That would be something else. I can practically smell the cheese from here.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:07 PM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 4

Eh. I didn't care much for domination mode. The fact that you had to use a terrible team in order to get three stars created a perverse incentive that led to super cheesy play.

I really think 2k needs to do a teardown of the mode. Domination farming going away is a good thing. Next, they need to implement a salary cap to force people away from stacked super teams. Finally, implementing an upvote/downvote feature for opponents to help curb the super cheesy gameplay (paintsmash, running around the three point line, backcourt charges, etc.) Making the modes more realistic is going to be better for the game in the long run
Old 01-20-2014, 02:10 PM   #39
MVP

ricky24's Arena

I just quit if im playing someone who keeps trying to get charge calls. It's not even worth playing.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:50 PM   #40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadlowe
Eh. I didn't care much for domination mode. The fact that you had to use a terrible team in order to get three stars created a perverse incentive that led to super cheesy play.
Having to play an all bronze team to get the most MT Points made sense... Why reward people with overpowered, all gold lineups?...

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »