Home

Any tips for unrestricted seeds?

This is a discussion on Any tips for unrestricted seeds? within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-02-2015, 08:41 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Any tips for unrestricted seeds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7
Just play slow ball. The super/cheesy teams want to fast break the entire game and don't get frustrated and do things you usually wouldn't. My team isn't that super, I have big name gold cards but no legends and had no problem in the 2nd seed. Didn't lose once in 2nd seed.

Lineup was: Lillard-Wade-LeBron-Aldridge-Mutumbo with a bench of Wall-Korver-George-Griffin-Cousins and then Ellis and Richardson. Just run plays or play slow. If they play off ball pick on the guy he is guarding, say he is guarding the SG or SF call an iso and then send one of them to cut to basketball then easy 2 points or a foul.
2nd paragraph - yeah I usually pick on their guarding guy. If they play as a center or PF, I will post them up and make easy bucket since they would go for every pump fake in post.

As for defense, I always play my center because I suck at defending perimeter since all they do is just run around and settle for 3 eventually. If they tries to post up center, I switch to another player so that I won't fall for pump fake every time lol
Old 02-02-2015, 09:00 PM   #18
Rookie

Honestly OP, there's no real rocket science here. You can win with a lot of cheap lineups if you know what you're doing.

However, there are some basic requirements I'll note.

1. Learn how to make defensive adjustments for different opponents, particularly cheesers. Also, take the time and watch some videos on on-ball defense. It's worth learning. You can shut cheesers down YOURSELF if you can play man defense on the perimeter. And it DOES work.

2. Frankly if you are going to play the game like it was meant to be played and not be one of those fastbreak cheesers who has Melo or Bron at the 4, you need 2 big men on the floor at all times who can rebound, block, and play reasonably good post defense. That is the priority here. Offensively, they don't have to be anything special. But it helps. Get Emerald Davis. He is the only player in the game who can defend both 7'0+ Centers and Lebron equally well. This is really important. If you out rebound your opponent and protect the paint, they are already in trouble. Again, you don't need them to score. I use Emerald Davis and David Robinson right now. Davis only scores after rebounds.

3. Take your time offensively and learn how to score with each player. You need a gameplan. Personally I try to have 2 scorers on the floor at all times, which are usually not big men. I run screens with either my PG or SG and have the other two guys set up for 3's. It's not that hard to do. Obviously your team might lend itself to something else.

4. Find some guys. Get good with them. Figure out how to score with them. And stick with them. Hell, if you are really good at scoring with Gail Goodrich, just keep him, for example.

5. Learn the 2-3 defense. Sometimes you will need it. I usually play man to man.

80% of this game is finding holes in your opponents strategy and exploiting them using in-game adjustments. There is no magic lineup that will win you every game. I have lost to people with really bad lineups because I was playing foolishly and not taking the time to think out my plan.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:22 AM   #19
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbandy10
Honestly OP, there's no real rocket science here. You can win with a lot of cheap lineups if you know what you're doing.

However, there are some basic requirements I'll note.

1. Learn how to make defensive adjustments for different opponents, particularly cheesers. Also, take the time and watch some videos on on-ball defense. It's worth learning. You can shut cheesers down YOURSELF if you can play man defense on the perimeter. And it DOES work.

2. Frankly if you are going to play the game like it was meant to be played and not be one of those fastbreak cheesers who has Melo or Bron at the 4, you need 2 big men on the floor at all times who can rebound, block, and play reasonably good post defense. That is the priority here. Offensively, they don't have to be anything special. But it helps. Get Emerald Davis. He is the only player in the game who can defend both 7'0+ Centers and Lebron equally well. This is really important. If you out rebound your opponent and protect the paint, they are already in trouble. Again, you don't need them to score. I use Emerald Davis and David Robinson right now. Davis only scores after rebounds.

3. Take your time offensively and learn how to score with each player. You need a gameplan. Personally I try to have 2 scorers on the floor at all times, which are usually not big men. I run screens with either my PG or SG and have the other two guys set up for 3's. It's not that hard to do. Obviously your team might lend itself to something else.

4. Find some guys. Get good with them. Figure out how to score with them. And stick with them. Hell, if you are really good at scoring with Gail Goodrich, just keep him, for example.

5. Learn the 2-3 defense. Sometimes you will need it. I usually play man to man.

80% of this game is finding holes in your opponents strategy and exploiting them using in-game adjustments. There is no magic lineup that will win you every game. I have lost to people with really bad lineups because I was playing foolishly and not taking the time to think out my plan.

Some good tips...except I don't understand how anyone can call playing LeBron or Melo at the 4 "cheese".

LeBron's best position these days is at the 4...and Melo has been a "tweener" (that's what the used to call small-ball 4's) since he was at Syracuse.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:25 AM   #20
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincythunder
2nd paragraph - yeah I usually pick on their guarding guy. If they play as a center or PF, I will post them up and make easy bucket since they would go for every pump fake in post.

As for defense, I always play my center because I suck at defending perimeter since all they do is just run around and settle for 3 eventually. If they tries to post up center, I switch to another player so that I won't fall for pump fake every time lol
Just out of curiosity....

Why don't you take some lumps on defense while learning to play on-ball defense...and get better at it?

Since the patch, on-ball defense is definitely not impossible.

Personally, I can't stand people who play like that. I'm not a zealot who thinks there is never a time to play off-ball...but I'm not a fan of those who "run away from the ball" as far as defense goes.

It's a cop out and you're not even TRYING to play on-ball.

That's just whack...

One man's opinion, I really mean no offense by it. I hope you understand.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:44 AM   #21
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by coached17
My advice would be to build a team around your strengths...and also find an offense to run with that team using the Freelance option in the settings.

After that...just have fun.

You will run into teams with ridiculous lineups, but remember if those guys are only in the 5th or 6th seed with those crazy lineups...then they aren't very good players. I've beaten super-teams with lineups of 3 Gold, 4 Silver, and 6 Bronze...

Personally, I just try to enjoy playing with my MyTeam...and don't get caught up int he "tryhard" mode that seems to drive most of the RTTP players.
Everybody that gets to the 1st seed was at one point in the 5th and 6th seeds. so they cant all be bad

http://2kmtcentral.com/18/lineups/6910/teamdavis
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2015, 04:10 PM   #22
Pro

OVR: 3

I would suggest to learn a couple of post moves. At the very least, learn how to do the hook shot and post fadeaway. You need a plan B when shooting from the perimeter or driving to the basket may not be an option if your opponent is focused on taking those away.

Plus, when you post up, they will usually try to double team or poke the ball away with a PG or something. You need to be aware of those cheesers who just spam the steal button on big men as well. Learn how to recognize it and pass it to an open jump shooter. If not, just take the easy points.

I would suggest you have at least on big man that has decent post ratings. The other guy can just play defence and rebound.

It's good to have multiple option on offence. Many people who just try to do the same thing over and over will not be successful against some of the better RTTP players.

Ryan/Scherzer/Fernandez/Cueto/Darvish
Old 02-03-2015, 04:13 PM   #23
Rookie

I agree with the big man point. I would try Lamarcus Aldridge for those post fadeaway or Al Jefferson for both hooks and fades.

Make sure you surround guys like that with perimeter shooters.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:17 PM   #24
Pro

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by coached17
You will run into teams with ridiculous lineups, but remember if those guys are only in the 5th or 6th seed with those crazy lineups...then they aren't very good players. I've beaten super-teams with lineups of 3 Gold, 4 Silver, and 6 Bronze...
How do you know what seed your opponent is? There's no guarantee as you can play anyone from any seed.

Plus, if it is indeed the fact that they're in the 5th/6th seed with a super team, how do yo know they're not just starting to play RTTP and moving up in seeds?

I would say that you shouldn't underestimate anyone based on looking at their lineup. They could have a super team and suck or they could be really good. Same goes for people with a non-super team. Or there is another factor that is the 2K cheese that will cause you to lose some games no matter how good or how bad your opponent is. You just need to prepare for it and move on to the next game when it happens.

Ryan/Scherzer/Fernandez/Cueto/Darvish

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »