Home

Smoove's new video

This is a discussion on Smoove's new video within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 08:48 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Smoove's new video

Quote:
Originally Posted by coached17
I really hope people aren't influenced by this...

Sorry, but he's got some really BAD info on MyTeam in his recent videos....

First off, Smoove apparently doesn't understand what Emerald cards ARE...they aren't cards put out to simply make a BOOSTED version of a player. They are cards put out to make an UPDATED version of the player.

The reason Curry's shooting stats are slightly lower on his Emerald card is because his real life shooting % went down slightly.

He doesn't even realize that Steph Curry is BELOW AVERAGE in terms of Speed compared to other NBA PG's. That's a fact. There's no debating it...Bring "Rashidi" in here or Beds and let them EXPLAIN how the Speed rating is now calculated.

He also fails to even MENTION that these Emerald and Ruby examples come with all the BADGES already on them!!!!

Doesn't he understand the incredible DIFFERENCE this makes in MyTeam?!?!

And to top it all off, he doesn't know the difference between the Shawn Kemp who played for George Karl in Seattle...and "Fat" Shawn Kemp who played for the Cavs?

As someone who is actually OLD enough to have seen both play...and actually saw "Fat" Shawn Kemp play in-person numerous times as a fan - I know the difference.

Not only that...but Smoove only mentions that "Fat" Kemp got "worse" But that's NOT true. Sure certain ratings of his dropped....like those regarding his athleticism and dunking...but thats what happens when you get older and put on 30 pounds.

He fails to mention that the "Fat" Kemp Onyx card is a BETTER post-up player. Which is completely realistic and based entirely on FACTS. "Fat" Kemp was more of an Al Jefferson type down on the block and in midrange while young Sonics Kemp was more of an athletic transition player in Seattle - think Blake Griffin.

Just because the Onyx card was released AFTER the Gold card doesn't mean it MUST be a BETTER card. That's just silly.

It's just a different card...based on the same player, at different points of his career.

Sorry, but his recent "takes" on MyTeam have been pretty WEAK of late...and I really HOPE this is not someone who 2K is listening to. Especially when he clearly doesn't even understand the basics of how some of these cards work.

These videos seem to appeal to a certain audience...which seems to be cheesers and kids who just like to COMPLAIN.

Judging MyTeam only by comparing it to Madden Ultimate Team is beyond ridiculous. The last thing I want 2K to do is make their version more like Madden....UGH. Please god, no!
I can see what you are saying about the emeralds being upgraded/updated with accessories and stats, but I don't like them putting players that NO ONE will ever use or is not rated well at all that makes him useless. Alex Kirk is a good example. I liked them putting in Wesley Matthews, Jimmy Butler, etc.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:51 PM   #18
MVP

The problem with emeralds are their contract cost sometimes. Why would emerald Gobert have samecontract with Dwight Howard?
Old 03-23-2015, 09:05 PM   #19
Banned

Quote:
Why not?

You're trying to tell me that getting a fully-badged up player isn't an advantage? Ridiculous.

The Gold version is what his ratings were when the game was RELEASED. The Emerald isn't a "boosted" version. It's an UPDATED version based on the way he played at the beginning of this current season.

I already explained this...and if you still don't understand, I don't know of a better way to explain it.

Why not?

Just because the Onyx isn't better, it's still a DIFFERENT card. And even if YOU don't like the card, it doesn't mean other people won't.

Not everyone just wants a BETTER card. Kemp is a rare player who had two distinctly differing styles of play over the course of his career. What is wrong about having two different cards to represent both?

Nope. This isn't true...and if you're missing this then you don't understand MyTeam and you're asking/expecting nothing more than ARCADE nonsense.

Onyx cards are THROWBACK cards based on a player's performance from a certain year that is not included in the Gold cards based on the Historic players on those historic teams included in the game.

It's NOT about making a "better" version of a player...sorry.

The Ruby cards are "better" or boosted versions of certain players based on the "group" they are released in...Pick Pockets, Glass Cleaners, etc.

No offense, but you don't understand some of the BASICS either....as this post shows.

And only ONE of Smoove's examples is a "duplicate" card that saturates the market - that being the Ruby Payton.

Mediocrity? Give me a break...

Here's a FACT - even though there are 22 players on the field at once during an NFL game compared to only 5 on the court at once in the NBA...and 53 on a roster compared to 13....2K has just as many, if not MORE players and cards than Madden.

If you go by percentage it's not even close.

So even though you claim there's not enough "content" - the amount of players MyTeam brings to the table completely DWARFS what Madden has.

Look....I'm not saying MyTeam is perfect. There are some things they've screwed up...but the examples in this video are NOT good examples of them.

Personally, I feel they need to do more Throwback/Onyx cards and LESS of the Ruby/Diamond/Pink Diamond cards that are nothing more than "boosted" versions of cards.

Cards should actually represent a REAL PLAYER at a certain point in time...even if it's a short period of time like Onyx Jeremy Lin or Greg Oden.

They shouldn't be throwing out cards that are just cheesy, souped-up versions of players who are already virtually UNSTOPPABLE like LeBron, Lillard, etc, etc....there's no need for these. Unless, of course, you simply want the CHEESIEST experience possible.

And some of their ratings have been bad...the Onyx Vlade Divac being a perfect example of that - however, the Onyx Shawn Kemp is NOT an example of that.
for what it costs to buy or pull a new player...you could spend a fraction of on badges. that is whats truly ridiculous.

you said emeralds were boosted. now you're saying updated. choose a side.

kemp is not a rare player and shouldnt have been given an onyx card for that period in his career.

onyx cards are meant to be better, prime versions of the card. obviously, they are throwback if we are mentioning when they were in their prime. but how throwback are you referencing? because onyx mo williams was just 4 years ago.

that payton was one example. lebron is another example. 6 different jordan cards is another example. i could go on, but you get the point(i hope).

No. Nothing 2K does dwarfs madden as madden not only brings you a multiple different players....but also multiple different tournaments/challenges/rewards for online play/etc. 2K doesnt hold a candle to **** Madden does in terms of content.

yes, they need more onyx cards. some of these onyx cards shouldnt have been onyx cards(turgolu?). Some of these onyx cards should have just been normal legends in the game(Vlade? Greg oden?).

Yes, they screwed the ratings of jeremy lin. and others.

"They shouldn't be throwing out cards that are just cheesy, souped-up versions of players who are already virtually UNSTOPPABLE like LeBron, Lillard, etc, etc....there's no need for these. Unless, of course, you simply want the CHEESIEST experience possible."

smoove(along with a ton of others) have also said this.

Last edited by jenesaispas; 03-23-2015 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:26 PM   #20
QNo
MVP

Emerald cards always have a higher OVR than the base cards. They didn't release an updated Rondo who's dropped to an 84 or something like that. So that part of coached17's argument is false. Emeralds also come with all bronze badges, just like base cards, so that part isn't true, either.

You're also missing the fact that almost everybody wants a Shawn Kemp to dunk on people. Not only is post-up game under-powered, but gold Timmy D or LMA are better and cheaper options. Same with Curry: People want him to jack up 3s and speed past defenders. Even though the emerald IS better than the gold, it's not what people are looking for from this card. And both the sapphire and ruby are clearly better, either way.

Of the old batch, the only emeralds that were being used were: AD, Curry, Klay, Butler. All the other ones are useless, because they have low overalls but still count as gem cards, meaning that they're restricted in most challenges, too bad for online play, and still cost tons for contracts so they're not feasible bench players. Same problems for the new emeralds: Only Westbrook and DeAndre are useful cards. With Emerald Curry/Klay/Butler now being completely useless because of the ruby cards (which DO come with badges, so they're clearly better), there are 3 emerald cards people are realistically gonna use. This could easily be solved by making Emerald-Silver, Emerald-Bronze cards and so on, but as it is, all but 3 emerald cards are useless. There are better & cheaper alternatives for all of them. It's empty content, only useful for the handful of players who really want an updated Charlie V.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:39 PM   #21
Rookie

Quote:
Judging MyTeam only by comparing it to Madden Ultimate Team is beyond ridiculous. The last thing I want 2K to do is make their version more like Madden....UGH. Please god, no!
Have you ever gone to the store for some Fruit Loops cereal, and when you got there you saw this crazy Fruity-O-Loopys box with a picture of the same cereal on it.

EA's MUT= Fruit loops
2k's Myteam= Off-brand Fruity-O-Loopys

I'm not a big MUT guy myself but at the very least their game is organized.
2k has had myteam problems since day one.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2015, 09:41 PM   #22
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by start it up
Have you ever gone to the store for some Fruit Loops cereal, and when you got there you saw this crazy Fruity-O-Loopys box with a picture of the same cereal on it.

EA's MUT= Fruit loops
2k's Myteam= Off-brand Fruity-O-Loopys

I'm not a big MUT guy myself but at the very least their game is organized.
2k has had myteam problems since day one.
i played MUT for a month. **** is still better than this assery.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:44 PM   #23
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by QNo
Emerald cards always have a higher OVR than the base cards. They didn't release an updated Rondo who's dropped to an 84 or something like that. So that part of coached17's argument is false. Emeralds also come with all bronze badges, just like base cards, so that part isn't true, either.

You're also missing the fact that almost everybody wants a Shawn Kemp to dunk on people. Not only is post-up game under-powered, but gold Timmy D or LMA are better and cheaper options. Same with Curry: People want him to jack up 3s and speed past defenders. Even though the emerald IS better than the gold, it's not what people are looking for from this card. And both the sapphire and ruby are clearly better, either way. Uh

Of the old batch, the only emeralds that were being used were: AD, Curry, Klay, Butler. All the other ones are useless, because they have low overalls but still count as gem cards, meaning that they're restricted in most challenges, too bad for online play, and still cost tons for contracts so they're not feasible bench players. Same problems for the new emeralds: Only Westbrook and DeAndre are useful cards. With Emerald Curry/Klay/Butler now being completely useless because of the ruby cards (which DO come with badges, so they're clearly better), there are 3 emerald cards people are realistically gonna use. This could easily be solved by making Emerald-Silver, Emerald-Bronze cards and so on, but as it is, all but 3 emerald cards are useless. There are better & cheaper alternatives for all of them. It's empty content, only useful for the handful of players who really want an updated Charlie V.
So basically you need a better dunker Kemp a better 3 pointer curry etc. Than you complain that the game is cheesy? Come on QNo. People want a 99 3 point LeBron for sure. What do you think? Eve now Jordans ruby card with 90 standing 3 is ridiculous. I remember him play. He never was a tremendous shooter as 90 would suggest. Chris Mullin has 89 in the game. So we should decide. Sim or casual?
Old 03-23-2015, 09:51 PM   #24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabamaru
So basically you need a better dunker Kemp a better 3 pointer curry etc. Than you complain that the game is cheesy? Come on QNo. People want a 99 3 point LeBron for sure. What do you think? Eve now Jordans ruby card with 90 standing 3 is ridiculous. I remember him play. He never was a tremendous shooter as 90 would suggest. Chris Mullin has 89 in the game. So we should decide. Sim or casual?
he didnt say HE needed. he said PEOPLE WANT. two totally different things. And, you went on a tangent. he didnt go so far as to suggest players that didnt deserve these ratings should have them, as you're suggesting in your jordan vs mullin counter argument. illiterate or nah?
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »