Home

Smoove's new video

This is a discussion on Smoove's new video within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 10:52 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Smoove's new video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7
I can see what you are saying about the emeralds being upgraded/updated with accessories and stats, but I don't like them putting players that NO ONE will ever use or is not rated well at all that makes him useless. Alex Kirk is a good example. I liked them putting in Wesley Matthews, Jimmy Butler, etc.
How do YOU know what cards people will or won't use?

The Emerald cards are there to add and UPDATE players who are either NEW to the NBA and weren't on the rosters the day the game was shipped....or those who significantly improved their OVERALL rating.

That improvement in OVERALL rating doesn't mean they are necessarily "better" though...as some people would argue the Gold Steph Curry with more Speed is a "better" card than the Emerald even though the Emerald has a higher OVERALL rating.

I would agree with you to a point....more Emerald cards that UPDATE players would be better than scrubs like Alex Kirk.

Two of my FAVORITE cards right now are Emerald Giannis and Draymond Green because these are two guys who are significantly DIFFERENT than their Silver cards. Another favorite of mine is Emerald KJ McDaniels.

The ONLY problem with Emerald cards is their salaries. This is what prevents most players from actually USING Emerald cards except for the REALLY good Emeralds like Steph, Klay, Anthony Davis, Butler, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenesaispas
for what it costs to buy or pull a new player...you could spend a fraction of on badges. that is whats truly ridiculous.
The cost of packs doesn't figure into this...if YOU don't like the cost of PACKS, don't BUY them! You do know there is an Auction House now, right?

What do packs have to do with this?

Answer- NOTHING.

Quote:
you said emeralds were boosted. now you're saying updated. choose a side.
Are you SLOW? Where did I say Emeralds are boosted?

Quote:
kemp is not a rare player and shouldnt have been given an onyx card for that period in his career.
Do you know what RARE means? And what does it hurt to include a "Fat" Shawn Kemp Onyx card? And why should YOU decide whether or not it should be released?

This argument is nothing but HYPOCRITICAL. You complain that 2K doesn't release enough cards or content...and then complain when they do.

I LOVE that there's a "Fat" Shawn Kemp card. So it's not like NOBODY likes the card, just you. Well...I don't like Damien Lillard, even though other people LOVE him for some reason UNKNOWN to me personally.

Does that mean 2K should get rid of Lillard...? Of course not, yet this is the argument you are making.

Quote:
onyx cards are meant to be better, prime versions of the card. obviously, they are throwback if we are mentioning when they were in their prime. but how throwback are you referencing? because onyx mo williams was just 4 years ago.
Nope. They are THROWBACK cards.

Mo Williams 4 years ago IS "throwback", chief.

Quote:
that payton was one example. lebron is another example. 6 different jordan cards is another example. i could go on, but you get the point(i hope).
So....two examples. And they are Ruby examples...which are special cards released as sets boosted for ZERO reason.

I've already made my stance on cards like these VERY clear. They are a waste and not needed in MyTeam.

The different Jordan's are apples and oranges. Mainly because 2K chooses to include all of those teams that they've included for several years now in 2K...

But in all of this you're forgetting that some of these cards are VERY different.

Young Jordan is hardly the same as the older post-baseball version. Maybe you're just BLIND to this because you're too young enough to KNOW that there was a difference?

Same goes for Pippen...different cards for the different ways these players played in that SPECIFIC season the card references.

Do you really want them to go back to just ONE card for each player? Because that is EXACTLY what they had in 2K13....just two years ago.

Sorry, but I think that would be a step BACKWARD.

Quote:
No. Nothing 2K does dwarfs madden as madden not only brings you a multiple different players....but also multiple different tournaments/challenges/rewards for online play/etc. 2K doesnt hold a candle to **** Madden does in terms of content.
Don't twist my words. I didn't mention any of that. My reference was ONLY to the number of PLAYERS...and it was clear.

Please refrain from trying to make your arguments against STRAW MEN that you create out of thin air.

Quote:
yes, they need more onyx cards. some of these onyx cards shouldnt have been onyx cards(turgolu?). Some of these onyx cards should have just been normal legends in the game(Vlade? Greg oden?).
Again...says who? You?

I love the Hedu Onyx card...one of my favorite cards in the game. So 2K should STOP creating cards like this just to please YOU?

Vlade IS a normal legend in the game.

You HAVE to know that the "normal" legends in the game (Gold, Silver, Bronze) all come from the rosters of those classic/historic teams 2K includes.

The Onyx cards don't do that. So....if you want a Vlade Divac card that plays more like he did in Sacramento as an aging veteran instead of how he did as a young athletic rookie as a Laker....then you NEED an Onyx card.

What is the problem with that?

The only place 2K screwed up with that card is giving Divac passing ratings that are too LOW.

Quote:
Yes, they screwed the ratings of jeremy lin. and others.

"They shouldn't be throwing out cards that are just cheesy, souped-up versions of players who are already virtually UNSTOPPABLE like LeBron, Lillard, etc, etc....there's no need for these. Unless, of course, you simply want the CHEESIEST experience possible."

smoove(along with a ton of others) have also said this.
But...that is exactly what they are ASKING for?!!?!

Don't you see the irony and hypocrisy?

He's complaining (as are others) that 2K isn't giving enough cards/content...and then complaining about the cards they DO put out.

Then he is complaining about the ratings of those new cards because they AREN'T higher than the cards that were out BEFORE them.

If that's the case...then the ONLY cards guys like you and him LOGICALLY want are cards for the BEST and most popular players and ONLY if they are rated HIGHER than the previous version.

So...only the super-cheesiest cards possible.

That's LOGIC.

Using some stupid example of a 100-rated Calvin Johnson in Madden to back up his argument is a JOKE.

You really think having a bunch of 100-rated LeBron's available in MyTeam is going to make for a "better" experience?

You can't be serious...

Last edited by coached17; 03-23-2015 at 11:21 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2015, 11:05 PM   #26
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by QNo
Emerald cards always have a higher OVR than the base cards. They didn't release an updated Rondo who's dropped to an 84 or something like that. So that part of coached17's argument is false. Emeralds also come with all bronze badges, just like base cards, so that part isn't true, either.

Okay...so I was slightly "off" on one point about Emeralds.

As I said before, just because an Emerald card is rated higher than a Gold card, doesn't necessarily mean it's considered "better". Emerald Curry is the prime example.

But you can't COMPLAIN about Emerald Curry's Speed rating going down and not complain about Anthony Davis or Butler's Speed rating going UP just because you LIKE one and don't like the other.

As for the badges....I wasn't referencing JUST Emerald cards which come with no badges....other gem cards like Ruby and Onyx do come with badges...so there is a difference. Sorry for not being 100% clear on that. Doesn't do ONE thing against my argument though....

Quote:
You're also missing the fact that almost everybody wants a Shawn Kemp to dunk on people. Not only is post-up game under-powered, but gold Timmy D or LMA are better and cheaper options. Same with Curry: People want him to jack up 3s and speed past defenders. Even though the emerald IS better than the gold, it's not what people are looking for from this card. And both the sapphire and ruby are clearly better, either way.
First off, Kemp's post up game is NOT "under-powered" based on HOW he played when in Seattle. It's completely ACCURATE.

And thats what these cards should represent - accurate ratings of how that player performed at that point in time(season).

It doesn't matter what people WANT.

I'm sure some of the cheeser mouth-breathers who play this game want an 8-foot tall LeBron with 99 in everything. Do you think that means it's a good card to put on the market?

They shouldn't be MAGICALLY just creating cards with no basis in reality.

I honestly can't believe there are people out there making this argument. You really WANT cards that don't play like the real players? I don't believe that. And even if it IS true, 2K doesn't need to be catering to people who think this way.....sorry.

Quote:
Of the old batch, the only emeralds that were being used were: AD, Curry, Klay, Butler. All the other ones are useless, because they have low overalls but still count as gem cards, meaning that they're restricted in most challenges, too bad for online play, and still cost tons for contracts so they're not feasible bench players. Same problems for the new emeralds: Only Westbrook and DeAndre are useful cards. With Emerald Curry/Klay/Butler now being completely useless because of the ruby cards (which DO come with badges, so they're clearly better), there are 3 emerald cards people are realistically gonna use. This could easily be solved by making Emerald-Silver, Emerald-Bronze cards and so on, but as it is, all but 3 emerald cards are useless. There are better & cheaper alternatives for all of them. It's empty content, only useful for the handful of players who really want an updated Charlie V.

You're preaching to the choir as far as this goes...

I've said the EXACT same thing for months now, in other threads before this one.

The PROBLEM with Emeralds is that they ALL must be paid the SAME salary equivalent to that of the ELITE cards in the game. That's not a problem with content/card CREATION, it's a problem with EXECUTION.

That's completely on 2K for screwing that up. I completely agree with you...and have been vocal about it for months.

Last edited by coached17; 03-23-2015 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:30 PM   #27
QNo
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by coached17
First off, Kemp's post up game is NOT "under-powered" based on HOW he played when in Seattle. It's completely ACCURATE.

And thats what these cards should represent - accurate ratings of how that player performed at that point in time(season).

It doesn't matter what people WANT.

I'm sure some of the cheeser mouth-breathers who play this game want a LeBron with 99 in everything. Do you think that means it's a good card to put on the market?
Come on dude, for someone who uses the word 'logic' a lot you're making up a ton of straw-men arguments throughout this thread. You're reading stuff into Smoove, myself and others and then get aggrevated at those claims and how wrong they are. Capitalizing random words also doesn't make you sound more convincing, quite the opposite actually.

I said post play in general is under-powered so nobody cares whether this Kemp's post play is better than the other. I also never said that ratings should be made up, I actually never touched on what anybody's rating should be at all. I elaborated on why 95% of the content they're adding is 'empty content'; useless, because it interests only a minority.

We probably agree on a lot of the same issues, but pulling things out of thin air is not a good way to make allies or clarify an issue.

kabamura you're committing the same fallacy, as jenesaispas has already pointed out.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman
Old 03-23-2015, 11:52 PM   #28
Banned

I couldnt even get by the first sentence of this trash retort.

I mentioned either buying or pulling a player. the buying part refers to the AH. the pulling refers to packs. how on earth you missed the word BUYING is beyond me. the rest of your comment is not worth reading as im sure it's as half-assed as the way it started.

Last edited by jenesaispas; 03-23-2015 at 11:59 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:16 AM   #29
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by QNo
Come on dude, for someone who uses the word 'logic' a lot you're making up a ton of straw-men arguments throughout this thread. You're reading stuff into Smoove, myself and others and then get aggrevated at those claims and how wrong they are. Capitalizing random words also doesn't make you sound more convincing, quite the opposite actually.

I said post play in general is under-powered so nobody cares whether this Kemp's post play is better than the other. I also never said that ratings should be made up, I actually never touched on what anybody's rating should be at all. I elaborated on why 95% of the content they're adding is 'empty content'; useless, because it interests only a minority.

We probably agree on a lot of the same issues, but pulling things out of thin air is not a good way to make allies or clarify an issue.

kabamura you're committing the same fallacy, as jenesaispas has already pointed out.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman
I'm not trying to be a "jerk"...so maybe you can explain it to me.

Here is what I am getting....

1) You don't think 2K has enough content/cards

2) You think the content/cards they have are useless and that no one wants them

3) You only want new cards that are BETTER than the previous cards.

This is the only part where I mentioned LOGIC.

Taking this logically...it only leaves room for a very SPECIFIC type of card. Cards that are popular players that lots of people WANT...that have higher ratings than the original Gold card.

That pretty much covers it.

You are right...you and I agree on a lot of stuff. For example, 2K messing up a few ratings on Onyx cards severely...and the issue with making most Emerald cards UNPLAYABLE for most players because of their salaries.

Maybe we even agree on the need for a user-VS-user mode that is a cross between Challenges & RTTP or RTTP with restrictions.

But some of these other complaints are just that - complaining.

Smoove makes a whole video complaining, but doesn't offer any REAL solutions. The one thing he says is "make it more like Madden". Yeah, because just making 5 versions of Calvin Johnson with a ratings increase- one with a freaking 100 rating - is such a brilliant idea.

The content is "empty" just because you don't like it or other people don't like it...? Maybe the problem is the end-user and NOT 2K?

If they are making cards that you don't like...what do you want them to do? What do you suggest they do instead?

That's where I'm totally confused and where the "logic" thing comes in.

Obviously, one solution is to FIX the Emerald cards...but guys like me and others have been saying that for months and it's obviously an issue.

The Ruby cards are garbage in my opinion...but at least they are new content and do have some benefits...like Badges.

Onyx cards are new content also...as they are mostly players already in the game but at a different point in their career. Sorry, but those who complain about the player models maybe not being totally updated...well, that's just a little unrealistic.

Unless they have some kind of useable mo-cap of someone like Vince Carter from a decade ago, how are they going to get an accurate player model for that card?

Time machine?

It's just practical to use the current player model which is probably closer than anything else. Maybe in the future they will find a way to tweak this...?

The fact is that because sooooo many MyTeam players want to ONLY use 20 to 30 of the same most popular players, virtually every other card not in those 20 or 30 ONLY appeals to the "minority" of people.

Sorry, but that blame is not on 2K - it's on users who don't want to use other cards/players.

How can that be 2K's fault?

Last edited by coached17; 03-24-2015 at 12:42 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:18 AM   #30
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenesaispas
I couldnt even get by the first sentence of this trash retort.

I mentioned either buying or pulling a player. the buying part refers to the AH. the pulling refers to packs. how on earth you missed the word BUYING is beyond me. the rest of your comment is not worth reading as im sure it's as half-assed as the way it started.
Just the response I'd expect from someone losing an argument...
Old 03-24-2015, 12:44 AM   #31
Banned

Quote:
Just the response I'd expect from someone losing an argument...
arrogant as well?

hmm. ok.

1) im not losing anything. you've not only said nothing of substance, you've also contradicted yourself....multiple times.

2)the whole basis and foundation of your argument is lacking. to this point, i have no clue what the point of all of your drivel is actually about. You argue that cards should be boosted, but then there shouldnt be some onyx's but then there needs to be more onyx, but argue contracts and that my team isnt perfect, but its better than where they actually got the idea from. i mean you're at 6s and 7s.

3)kemp is not rare.

4)cards arent content. they are the same exact players over and over.

5) whatever name you want to give a card with better ****ing stats, they are still BETTER VERSIONS OF CARDS OUT AND ARE INTENDED TO BE BETTER VERSIONS.

6)i felt like naming 3* examples. I could have gone on.....but 3* was enough to get the point. you're a jackass so you need me to name more.

"these cards are a waste and not needed in my team"

but you can make an exception for Jordan? 6 iterations of golds with minute changes is not needed. Its not apples and oranges because you say it is. but you seem to impress yourself....so i guess you can have at it.

You dont need 6 versions of jordan to show the difference b/w the rookie version and the post-baseball version. you just need 2. the rookie and the post-baseball version. the others are, as you stated about other cards, a waste.

7) i referred to myteam's player releases not being content and that rttp was limited content. you then compared to madden's content but decided to pick an argument instead of the totality as it was originally presented. i didnt twist anything. this is on you. you simply didnt explain yourself properly(go figure).

8) great. you like hedo. other guys may like cards that you deem to be wastes. see how easy that is?

(do you really like a mediocre hedo card that you can find better in a gold or are you being contrarian? me thinks the latter)

9)the overall point of smoove's video was the pace in which they deliver players and the progression of the players released. it doesnt have to be a like for like in how they actually rate the cards and he didnt say it had to be a like for like. he simply used their model as an example of how to actually go about releasing cards. you are inserting this into his argument and it wasnt there(go figure).

your argument was half-assed. i will no longer answer back to your half-assed attempts to sound intelligent.

Last edited by jenesaispas; 03-24-2015 at 12:48 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-24-2015, 12:46 AM   #32
MVP

OVR: 17

Quote:
Onyx cards are new content also...as they are mostly players already in the game but at a different point in their career. Sorry, but those who complain about the player models maybe not being totally updated...well, that's just a little unrealistic.

Unless they have some kind of useable mo-cap of someone like Vince Carter from a decade ago, how are they going to get an accurate player model for that card?

Time machine?

It's flat out laziness

There's no reason ONXY Dwight should have that mohawk. ONXY Rose that fro and knee pads.

They gave ONXY Nash long hair but didn't bother changes anyone else.

It isn't game breaking but attention to detail goes a long way. They're getting away with doing the bare minimum for these ONXY cards.

XB1
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »