Home

Gauntlet wins. How many YOU got?

This is a discussion on Gauntlet wins. How many YOU got? within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-22-2016, 01:52 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Gauntlet wins. How many YOU got?

I'm at 401, this is the only mode I've played since Thanksgiving.

I honestly doubt I would still be playing this game if it wasn't for the market crash and after 300+ wins finally getting Clyde.

I haven't played one game of RTTP because my team isn't where I want it. I want to grind through the seeds with a team I actually care about, not just the best available player.

Now all I do is go to Gauntlet and pick a player I want to use, and just refresh until I get a player I want to try. And repeat. oddly enough it only took me about 15 or so games to get Bob Cousy just by getting two picks. Other than that just waiting on a few my players to come my way before I start RTTP.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:43 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 0

Made the mistake, I think, of trying out the 5,000 MT board once I unlocked it and while I'm only a half-dozen wins into it, I think the Rewards are worse than Gold. Going to try to play out this Gauntlet series as far as possible to see how the draws are across a less sparse sample set.

One thing about Gauntlet that's not good is that I am pissed-off a good portion of the time I'm playing. The mode is so elemental, with very little nuance and strategy, that everything my opponent does that's successful seems cheesy. I'm sure my opponents feel the same way about what I do.

I mean, these are the ways to score:
  • ISO your best and most explosive ballhandler and spam dribble moves and spins until your defender makes a mistake and leaves an open lane to the basket.
  • Zig-Zag around or run back and forth across the entire court until you can take a wide-open three, midrange, or defender doesn't commit to chasing hard enough and leaves open lane to the rim.
  • Post Up any player who has a post-play mismatch...you'll often have a glaring one. Since there's no 3- or 5-Second rules to get in the way, you can just back them down for the entire possession. Often times, you'll have some legendary Center against some scrubby smaller guy, even a SF, and you can just score in the post at will.
  • P'n'R between good ballhandler and a big and when third defender sags off his man to defend roll man, dish to wide-open perimeter shooter.

Any of the above get me raging, although I know I do the same stuff. The mode is just relentlessly cheesy, especially when you figure in how rampant it is that people re-roll for superstar teams.

I'm on PC where the population isn't that high, so I often play a guy with a superteam. Then, when game is over, I spend a couple minutes to look at game stats and, if I won, make my picks. Then go back to request another match.

Often times, I'm waiting for, say a couple minutes, maybe up to 5 or even 10 minutes, with no match, and then all of a sudden...get the same guy, who has the exact same starting card that he had the last game and also has two Amethyst/Diamond players again.

Last night, played this guy I've faced quite a number of times, who is good on the sticks and really good at 3-point shooting. He comes across, to me, as a bit of a dick who can't just simply win games but has to try and show off in any way he can. I think I've been down to him big and, late in the game, he starts to make all his guys "flop" fall down on defense to show you that he doesn't even need to play D on you, because he can score at will.

Or, last night, he started out the game doing almost nothing but launching threes with TBT Gold Dragic. I think his goal was to just try and hit 35-40% of them and play tough enough D to win with no other scoring. Tried his best to just toy with me by either biting too hard on a feint or sag off just enough to put up a merely lightly contested three.

But he ended up shooting around 33% with Dragic, this way, and wasn't playing very tough D, including giving up 4/4 from outside by my Dynamic Boogie. When the game got to something like 17-13, he very clearly decided to play "for real" and varied his offensive play. Was scoring at a 75-80% clip but, thankfully, had given me enough of a lead that my 65% sort of rate allowed me to finish out the game with a win.

Gauntlet is definitely a love-hate sort of proposition.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:25 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 13

^ no doubt this is a cheese mode but I relish that as I'm only here for the rewards. I cheese along with them and I win 90% of my games at least. I think I'm on 115 wins or so and ive lost less than 10 times.

Usually I hate cheesers but think of Gauntlet as free rewards for playing a few mins here and there. You wont barely win playing realistic. I tried it and almost lost a few games because this mode is built on pure cheese, no point fighting it.

Also I tried the 5000mt board too, even though everyone said not to. It really is crap. Gold board is the best so far. So many great badge pulls and gold shoes. I also got a brandon knight about 20 mins ago that I quick sold for 1300mt! Not even worth checking what he was worth on the auction house, I'm sure it's nowhere near that!
Old 03-23-2016, 01:29 PM   #20
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleJJJay
I'm at 401, this is the only mode I've played since Thanksgiving.

I honestly doubt I would still be playing this game if it wasn't for the market crash and after 300+ wins finally getting Clyde.

I haven't played one game of RTTP because my team isn't where I want it. I want to grind through the seeds with a team I actually care about, not just the best available player.

Now all I do is go to Gauntlet and pick a player I want to use, and just refresh until I get a player I want to try. And repeat. oddly enough it only took me about 15 or so games to get Bob Cousy just by getting two picks. Other than that just waiting on a few my players to come my way before I start RTTP.
I think I will do this next year. Play myteam late when I get can decent cards cheaper. Im never gonna spend more than 5 or 10 pounds extra on this game so I'll never be able to compete with these rich kids lol.

I can't get past the 3rd seed this year. If I save enough to get some diamonds before the years over hopefully I will get to seed 1 but we will see.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:59 PM   #21
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBa17

You wont barely win playing realistic. I tried it and almost lost a few games because this mode is built on pure cheese, no point fighting it.
You guys use the word cheese so much I barely know what it means anymore. Gauntlet has the same principles of offense and defense just like RTTP or MyPark. I would love to see some footage of somebody's RTTP games where there running a 1:1 Nba level scheme.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2016, 02:37 PM   #22
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by start it up
You guys use the word cheese so much I barely know what it means anymore. Gauntlet has the same principles of offense and defense just like RTTP or MyPark. I would love to see some footage of somebody's RTTP games where there running a 1:1 Nba level scheme.

Of course it has the same principles, but it's 3 on 3, you can't run plays, the difficulty is obviously on pro or something so what can you do? There is no professional sport to simulate in this respect. It's gauntlet for God's sake, who cares?

I can understand people complaining about cheese in RTTP and mycareer as I do too, but gauntlet is literally a playground game with no rules.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:52 PM   #23
Rookie

BrandH's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Of course it has the same principles, but it's 3 on 3, you can't run plays, the difficulty is obviously on pro or something so what can you do? There is no professional sport to simulate in this respect. It's gauntlet for God's sake, who cares?

I can understand people complaining about cheese in RTTP and mycareer as I do too, but gauntlet is literally a playground game with no rules.
217 and I finally got Clyde on my last win. I was pleasantly surprised becasuse for some reason I assumed Cousy was the 1st Amythest and wanted Clyde more. As far as the cheesefest the Gauntlet is I kind of enjoy it even though I am more of a sim nazi usually. Its nice to have a little time killer that at least you know what you are going to get.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:56 PM   #24
Rookie

Quote:

This mode is not "built purely on cheese" or whatever that means. Most users choose to play in that fashion just like with Park or Rttp. Playing "realstic" (again whatever that means) doesn't lose you games

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »