Home

The "Shot Defense Strength" Sliders Explained

This is a discussion on The "Shot Defense Strength" Sliders Explained within the NBA 2K Basketball Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-25-2022, 03:16 PM   #153
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: The "Shot Defense Strength" Sliders Explained

I'm confused. So the lower the difficulty these sliders lower a lot for user side. I thought raising and lowering these on user side cause my defense to be better. So it's actually causing the cpu defense to change? If I raise these on CPU side that means MY defense is much better? Very confusing and these sliders aren't very straightforward.

Also watched an old video from Da Czar on this subject. He kept saying the word weighted. Meaning if you want shot release strength to have more weight on the shot success over the gather then you'd lower gather/raise release slider. That confused me more lol. If that's the case then shouldn't gather and release strength total 100 together if they are indeed weighted as Czar said?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

https://www.youtube.com/DarthRambo
Old 09-25-2022, 03:44 PM   #154
Pro

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSalsa
I'm confused. So the lower the difficulty these sliders lower a lot for user side. I thought raising and lowering these on user side cause my defense to be better. So it's actually causing the cpu defense to change? If I raise these on CPU side that means MY defense is much better? Very confusing and these sliders aren't very straightforward.

Also watched an old video from Da Czar on this subject. He kept saying the word weighted. Meaning if you want shot release strength to have more weight on the shot success over the gather then you'd lower gather/raise release slider. That confused me more lol. If that's the case then shouldn't gather and release strength total 100 together if they are indeed weighted as Czar said?

Yeah...these are confusing. Logically you would think changing the User sliders would change the way the User defense plays thus impacting the CPU's offense. But that's not how it works. Think about the User sliders as the impact of the CPU Defense on the User's play.

I'm not sure about Czar's quote, but I think about it as the Takeoff/Gather slider (the first in the pair) impacting how responsive the Defense is to the movement and readiness to shoot while the Release slider is the effectiveness of the Defense on the shot success itself.

Raising the Takeoff/Gather slider makes the Defense more smothering. The Release slider has a stronger impact on the shot going in or not.

I raise the Takeoff/Gather slider to encourage more fouls and the Release slider to adjust or fine tune shooting %.

I'm sure this is not 100% accurate, but this is how I have been approaching it.

I mostly keep the sliders the same for both User and CPU because as much as I think I understand which slider effects the user vs. CPU, I don't really trust it so I tend to raise and lower both User and CPU together so they mirror each other. Haha!

@Eccentricmeat please correct anything I got wrong here.
Old 09-25-2022, 04:26 PM   #155
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by res2
Yeah...these are confusing. Logically you would think changing the User sliders would change the way the User defense plays thus impacting the CPU's offense. But that's not how it works. Think about the User sliders as the impact of the CPU Defense on the User's play.

I'm not sure about Czar's quote, but I think about it as the Takeoff/Gather slider (the first in the pair) impacting how responsive the Defense is to the movement and readiness to shoot while the Release slider is the effectiveness of the Defense on the shot success itself.

Raising the Takeoff/Gather slider makes the Defense more smothering. The Release slider has a stronger impact on the shot going in or not.

I raise the Takeoff/Gather slider to encourage more fouls and the Release slider to adjust or fine tune shooting %.

I mostly keep the sliders the same for both User and CPU because as much as I think I understand which slider effects the user vs. CPU, I don't really trust it so I tend to raise and lower both User and CPU together so they mirror each other. Haha!

That makes sense now I know all this lol. Thanks for clarifying. Just tweaked mine around now to try to get more shooting fouls but keep shooting % the same hopefully. So for that it seems I'd want the gather sliders much higher than release sliders. We'll see how that goes. Thanks again!

https://www.youtube.com/DarthRambo
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2022, 02:39 AM   #156
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by res2

Exactly, but I would add that the release sliders affect the aggressiveness and effectiveness of shot contests. With low release sliders, defenders will put up weak contest attempts and won’t really come close to blocking a shot, and higher settings will make defenders contest from further away and come close to blocking the shot.

So yea, these effect both the strength of the defense as well as the animations of shot contests.
Old 11-27-2023, 02:53 PM   #157
Just started!

OVR: 0

I check the defence sliders link in your signature every single year to refresh my understanding of these specific sliders. I can never remember and it drives me nuts!
Old 12-16-2023, 10:34 AM   #158
Pro

OVR: 2

Hi all:

I read through this thread but can't make heads or tails of what the defense sliders do exactly. If I am trying to increase scoring on my team and also blocks for my defense and lower scoring on the other team, is the below sliders (using the extremes of 0 and 100) what I would do? Anything else you would touch especially for more user blocks? Thanks for any assistance.

User Sliders:
Shot Coverage/Timing - set to 0
Contact Shot Success - set to 100
Layup Defense Strength (Takeoff) - set to 0
Layup Defense Strength (Release) - set to 0
Jump Shot Defense Strength (Gather) - set to 0
Jump Shot Defense Strength (Release) - set to 0
Help Defense Strength - set to 0

CPU Slider:
Shot Coverage/Timing - set to 0
Contact Shot Success - set to 0
Layup Defense Strength (Takeoff) - set to 100
Layup Defense Strength (Release) - set to 100
Jump Shot Defense Strength (Gather) - set to 100
Jump Shot Defense Strength (Release) - set to 100
Help Defense Strength - set to 100

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders »