Home

Everything that is wrong with MyGM - VC Discussion

This is a discussion on Everything that is wrong with MyGM - VC Discussion within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Do you like VC in MyGM mode?
Yes 18 12.50%
No 126 87.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #41
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Everything that is wrong with MyGM - VC Discussion

I think VC could have a place in NBA 2K, but most certainly not in the manner they've provided. Spending coins to level up a general manager just does not mesh with a real life simulation, in my opinion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #42
We Here

Hassan Darkside's Arena

OVR: 34

VC is just XP (Experience Points). Points accrued by playing the game. I think 2k's decision to call it "virtual currency" gives it a more negative connotation than it really should have. It's one of those factors key to the RPG elements of the game (i.e. leveling up, unlocking stuff, etc).

Now, just like any other game with unlockables and levels to climb, you'll have people who want to do it at any cost as fast as possible. And here is why you have "Purchase VC" right there on the main menu.

I haven't played much of the console version of 2k14 or next gen 2k14 at all but going off of 2k13, they could have been a bit more generous on the amount of VC that was handed out. But between playing the games, the online game, and the mobile game, and strategically playing the market in myTeam, I had a pretty steady flow of VC coming in.
Royce da 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
How many brothers fell victim to the skeet.........
Old 11-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruff Ryder
VC is just XP (Experience Points). Points accrued by playing the game. I think 2k's decision to call it "virtual currency" gives it a more negative connotation than it really should have. It's one of those factors key to the RPG elements of the game (i.e. leveling up, unlocking stuff, etc).

Now, just like any other game with unlockables and levels to climb, you'll have people who want to do it at any cost as fast as possible. And here is why you have "Purchase VC" right there on the main menu.

I haven't played much of the console version of 2k14 or next gen 2k14 at all but going off of 2k13, they could have been a bit more generous on the amount of VC that was handed out. But between playing the games, the online game, and the mobile game, and strategically playing the market in myTeam, I had a pretty steady flow of VC coming in.
Nah, as an RPG player, VC and XP are completely different in that VC is not only available for purchase to cut corners, but it's advertised and frequently flaunted in your face that you could openly cut these corners. In 90% of the RPGs that allow for purchasing XP, the option is usually underneath layers of 'extras' and 'options' menus. And even then, XP is usually not available for purchase in the first place.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #44
Pro

jaateloauto's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedAudio
Nah, as an RPG player, VC and XP are completely different in that VC is not only available for purchase to cut corners, but it's advertised and frequently flaunted in your face that you could openly cut these corners.
Not only that, but there are no full priced RPG games where you can buy VC. And if the game was balanced like it had no option to buy it, the rewards you would get for the mode would be a lot bigger.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:05 PM   #45
Pro

OVR: 0

I'm getting the game with my xbox 1. Before you PS4 guys started digging into the MyGM it was the first mode on my priority list. Now it's 3rd (being that MYTEAM is ridiculous prices!!) I can't believe they are doing this to us, right in front of our very eyes. Sad thing is, I seen 2 seconds of live and crossed that right off the list, so 2k still has me.

Follow me on Twitter!
Http://twitter.com/cantrellchad
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #46
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski
Absolutely not a big deal. You get 5,000 VC immediately for making your MyPlayer/GM. This upgrade costs... 500 VC. Close to the cost of a single game played. Solution: Spend 500 VC, get upgrade, bam. Was the first thing I did in MyGM mode after the initial conversation with my owner. Very much a non-issue.
That is not the point.....

The point is that you basically cannot get deep into all 3 modes (My GM, MyCareer, and MyTeam) due to VC, unless you no life this game.

It costs like 1500 VC just to buy a suit for MyCareer.....

Youtube
Old 11-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #47
MVP

OVR: 12

TBH, with the VC system in MyGM, they're just making you use up VC to buy access to stuff that you wouldn't have access to if you were an actual GM. A GM doesn't get to change the rotation or set the ticket prices IRL.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:54 PM   #48
Rookie

sreckless's Arena

OVR: 4

Don't own next gen yet but this development is horrifying to me. My stomach dropped when I read about it.

Putting GM mode functions behind walls (even if they are small ones) runs directly counter to the idea of consumer-friendliness. They are roadblocking functionality that has been a staple of sports video games going back to the NES and the Commodore 64.

This is a terrible, awful development and a sad day for gamers everywhere.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »