Home

HOF Sim - Too Easy?

This is a discussion on HOF Sim - Too Easy? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-29-2014, 09:38 PM   #17
Banned

BegBy's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: HOF Sim - Too Easy?

HoF is pure and utter, inarguable, undeniable, pants-on-head-******** crap.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

People have to stop preaching to other people (I fully realize the irony) that HoF is like some right of passage for gamers.

It's not a very organic game style and it's difficult to use basketball strategy to yield realistic results.

A lot of people on OS enjoy a simulation experience. HoF is not the avenue one should take if that's their intention.

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2014, 11:51 PM   #18
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BegBy
HoF is pure and utter, inarguable, undeniable, pants-on-head-******** crap.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

People have to stop preaching to other people (I fully realize the irony) that HoF is like some right of passage for gamers.

It's not a very organic game style and it's difficult to use basketball strategy to yield realistic results.

A lot of people on OS enjoy a simulation experience. HoF is not the avenue one should take if that's their intention.

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk
I think the main thing to keep in mind is that everyone is right to some degree. Hall of fame sucks and is extremely frustrating BUT it can also be very rewarding when approached in the right manner.

I personally have had some great sim experiences on HOF difficulty and have posted lots of video including full games to show what it's like. It took lots of crappy games to get there, some average ones and so on and significant time invested to get there. It wouldn't surprise me if I've played a thousand 12 minute quarter games or more to work on it and that's on top of playing other excellent users who most of the time I cannot beat lol. And every generation of the game I feel like I have to re-learn how to do it because they change it.

When I play hall of fame mode, I don't really look at it as some sort of right of passage or some box to check off my challenge list. I got into playing it to see if everyone was right.

Is it really that bad?

My answer is no it's not. Nearly all of the crap that is there is there at all levels. The difference is probably that when you win, you just overlook it. Is it as tough as nails. You bet it is.

I guess one of the reasons that I decided to study that level in depth is because I figured that as old guy here on the forum at 46 years old, that if a guy my age can figure out not only how to win, but have fun doing it, that many of you younger guys could too.

There are lot of you here on the forums who have played me and in many cases, I don't win those games and in fact I post openly both my wins and losses because I just love to play - win or lose. So it would stand to reason that alot of you are capable of getting great games as well.

It's mainly mindset.

But, you also have to bring a certain game as well and that's where the problem lies. A lot of the crap you see in the game is caused by the game you as the user are bringing to the court to face it.

That being said, I don't really recommend most people play that level unless you are prepared to be an expert level user of your team vs the CPU.

Most people just want to play and that's awesome. Just reduce the level.

Many of the posts I see in the forum, just complain. There are very few that add any value. Slight variations in game play based on position, whether you leave your feet on defense, whether you make that pass you know is going to get intercepted or will just go out of bounds and your overall tendencies all make a huge difference in the gaming experience.

Most demand the game be changed and sometimes whether that is right or not depends on who says it. I just look at it as poor officiating. The game often can't replicate visually what needs to happen in a situation and that's just the way it is.

I just want to try and encourage everyone who reads my posts, to consider taking a critical look at their own play because it's pretty amazing the positive impact you can have on the game just controlling your own team instead of focusing on what the other team does that you don't like - whether its a user or cpu opponent. And that means even if you have to go back to the easiest level which is rookie and start working your way back up to a level that provides you the experience you want.

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.

Last edited by Coach2K; 01-30-2014 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:46 AM   #19
MVP

OVR: 0

^Nah, i notice bs in plenty of games i win and i still can't stand it(recently had a game against the bucks where i blew them out at the end, but i was still really annoyed because of constant crap like the computer literally getting loose balls sucked into their hands through my 2 players in around the ball). I've said it before and i'll say it again, it's more than just winning or losing, it's the experience.

It would be like if someone was in a boxing match where they were constantly low blowed head butted and dealt with dirty tactics all night, win or lose, the experience would be very frustrating. Nobody likes playing against somebody that plays dirty, which the cpu is known for doing. I can beat the cpu consistently on HOF, doesn't mean i enjoy playing against them on that level. And saying "that's just the way it is" in regards to some of the things the cpu gets away with isn't the best way to look at it IMO. It's a flaw that should be addressed and fixed, not just looked at as "oh well".

Last edited by SPRINGS03; 01-30-2014 at 02:49 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:39 AM   #20
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

Lol...I'm not out to convince you specifically, Spring, or anyone else to actually play HOF and like it or else. I know that won't be possible and that's not my goal.

All you say above is true. For you. It's also true for nearly everyone who plays on that level. It's also true for me, if I don't bring the right kind of game.

I'm not talking just about winning, either. I'm talking about having fun as well.

The game I've embedded below is complete HOF game footage that was a blast. It was also the product of a significant amount of study. And it's one of many games I've had.

When the game was over, I didn't think, well I won but man I had to cheat like crazy to get it. Nor like I had fought Ali and he was kicking me in the crotch every round as it was happening lol.

I thought man, that was a great game.

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Last edited by Coach2K; 01-30-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:04 AM   #21
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.Coach2K.com
Lol...I'm not out to convince you specifically, Spring, or anyone else to actually play HOF and like it or else. I know that won't be possible and that's not my goal.

All you say above is true. For you. It's also true for nearly everyone who plays on that level. It's also true for me, if I don't bring the right kind of game.

I'm not talking just about winning, either. I'm talking about having fun as well.

The game I've embedded below is complete HOF game footage that was a blast. It was also the product of a significant amount of study. And it's one of many games I've had.

When the game was over, I didn't think, well I won but man I had to cheat like crazy to get it. Nor like I had fought Ali and he was kicking me in the crotch every round as it was happening lol.

I thought man, that was a great game.
Coach,
You don't call players very often do you? At least it didn't seem in the first quarter. Yet, I'm seeing diagrams for picks and cuts even when you ignore the spot where the play initiates...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-30-2014, 09:23 AM   #22
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

OVR: 6

Pump fake, pass, turbo, sag off everyone.. yeah thats how you beat the cpu on hof lmao. I have a hard time watching any of your games. At least you got the rotations down pact. Your playing a game more than playing basketball from what I see in your videos.

Last edited by ForeverVersatile; 01-30-2014 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:42 AM   #23
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythreesons
Coach,
You don't call players very often do you? At least it didn't seem in the first quarter. Yet, I'm seeing diagrams for picks and cuts even when you ignore the spot where the play initiates...
Depends on what I'm working on. In that game I only called a handful. I believe in that game I was working mostly on the 3 out 2 in set. I still don't have a complete handle on this years plays but here are some examples:

Last edited by Coach2K; 01-30-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:51 AM   #24
Banned

OVR: 0

The key to beating HOF in MyCareer is to get your teammate chemistry up. Seriously...your teammates stop playing like a bunch of braindead fools and actually start to play something that resembles defense.

I was complaining about the constant cheese in the game earlier in the month but then I realized I slowly but surely started consistently blowing out the CPU and then I went and saw my Teammate Chemistry was in the high 70s. It's been a cakewalk ever since then.

So do yourself a favor and start answer positively on all Post game press conferences and pay the 500 VC to take your team out for dinner. That's a 5% boost in Teammate Chemistry.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »