Home

Does 2K Even Care About Making the Game Realistic Anymore?

This is a discussion on Does 2K Even Care About Making the Game Realistic Anymore? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-18-2014, 11:11 AM   #49
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Does 2K Even Care About Making the Game Realistic Anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
this would mean taking your thumb off the right stick so you cant execute any dribble moves. i dont like that idea.

not if the button is one of the bumpers, say, LB/L1 like it used to be until they unexplicably moved it to b/o this year

if they get the ai and tendencies correct then having the ai decide what to do would be great. and speaking from a realism standpoint you really should only be able to control one person at a time. if they can get the ai to a point where they make intelligent decisions then i would much rather have the ai decide what to do after setting a screen (if im controlling the ball handler).

but if they cant make the ai do the right thing then the user should be in control. of course even the way it is now the ai portion of the pnr doesnt work properly. half the time the roll man rolls away from the basket or doesnt roll at all even if thats what i call for. bottom line is that the ai needs to be completely redone from scratch to make this game more realistic.
response in bold in quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:12 AM   #50
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optik
What if you want the big man to slip the pick? They do that a ton IRL.
call for the roll before he sets the pick, he will slip before he sets the pick
Old 04-18-2014, 11:38 AM   #51
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
What if you want the big man to slip the pick? They do that a ton IRL.

Once you press the pick button the big men rolls so you can slip no problem.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2014, 11:59 AM   #52
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
LOL, what's happening bruh? I'm just still playing 2K13 at the moment, trying to get a challenge from the CPU with a good roster and slider set. I'm waiting for a price drop for PS4 so maybe early next year. I might just get 2K14 in the mean time to try out the new freelance systems.

I've always been puzzled by how 2K does the PnR game. In real life, the screener decides what he's going to do based on how the defense is playing him, the ball handler doesn't decide two seconds in advance of the pick being set. You should just be able to tap B to have a pick set for you and then the roller will just roll, pop or slip depending on his RL tendencies and how the defense is playing him.
Optik should the AI roller/ fader always select the right move in that situation or should the tendency dictates what he does even if he is not open ? If he always selects the right move then the defense could force a roll only player to always pop out... IE cheese. Interested on what you think should be dominate if anything ?
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B
Old 04-18-2014, 12:24 PM   #53
MVP

thedream2k13's Arena

OVR: 0

Have a basketball game where you will need to use a brain and strategy is against the " more accessible " direction 2k wants to take the game. Their target audience will be outraged if learning plays, post moves, shot releases, player tendencies etc etc are required to be successful in the game. They want highlight dunks over 3 defenders, 3s being easy to make, and 1-3-1 to be the beat defense ever created .

fighting for truth, justice and SIMULATION gameplay
Old 04-18-2014, 01:02 PM   #54
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
Sorry but I can't agree with you. There is no such thing as teammates. I'am not controlling one player, I'am controlling the team as a whole, I wasn't talking about myplayer mode here, are you?
im referring mostly to my player. but the option should be there for other modes as well. if you want to manually control everything your team does you should be able to. if you want some things to be done intelligently by the ai without requiring you to dictate their actions you should be able to do that too. choices are always a good thing.

but again i only want the option for the cpu to make decisions if they are going to make intelligent and rational choices. if they are going to slip the screen when their defender isnt hedging and the paint is already crowded then its pointless.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:33 PM   #55
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars5541
Idk if 2k focuses on realism as much as they use too.

I think they focus on a game that mimics players but is fun to play and pickup for everyone. Not a hardcore simulation.
Very neutral, but yet well defined, description of what most of us can assume about current NBA 2K games. Most of us fell in love with the "hardcore simulation" direction they seemed to take, nowadays the "pick up and play" direction is spearheading the future.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2014, 02:24 PM   #56
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
Optik should the AI roller/ fader always select the right move in that situation or should the tendency dictates what he does even if he is not open ? If he always selects the right move then the defense could force a roll only player to always pop out... IE cheese. Interested on what you think should be dominate if anything ?
I think it should be tied to tendency primarily, but I also think that offensive awareness should be factored in. We all know what players like David West and Dirk are going to do when the come off the pick 95% of the time, but because they're smart offensive players, there are sometimes when they will take the defense unaware and roll to the rim. There needs to be a balance though, where if the defense continually plays the wrong way against Dirk, then he needs to roll to the rim everytime until they adjust. Players like Plumlee (BKN) usually do the same thing: slip or roll.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »