Home

Offensive rebounding

This is a discussion on Offensive rebounding within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 10-14-2014, 03:16 PM   #137
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61
Re: Offensive rebounding

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruxpinke
Hey Czar, I agree with Mr. 24th letter.

It seems way too often the CPU will put up a quick putback, that falls way to frequently for my taste. It doesnt seem to matter who it is offensively or who is defending the putback. Also - they hardly, if ever, kick out and reset.

Thats a sep issue from the fact they are getting the board - which to me seems fair most of the time, at least on All Star.
Yea, see that falls under a whole different category as far as who needs to look at it and what needs to be done to attempt to cut it back.

It was clear after the thread got going, that that was a sizable issue outside of
the OREB's themselves.
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B
Old 10-14-2014, 03:46 PM   #138
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23

True. If the success rate of the CPU's putbacks were normals and if the cpu kicked the ball out to reset aswell especially when surrounded in the paint nobody might have complained about the off rebounds.

At first you think : Wow theses off rebounds are killing me but then you realise it's the putbacks and the off rebounds numbers are usually normal.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:22 PM   #139
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
True. If the success rate of the CPU's putbacks were normals and if the cpu kicked the ball out to reset aswell especially when surrounded in the paint nobody might have complained about the off rebounds.

At first you think : Wow theses off rebounds are killing me but then you realise it's the putbacks and the off rebounds numbers are usually normal.
Exactly. Playing 2K11 since release OR was an an area I am so happy was addressed. The put backs though were automatic....until I followed wolfs lead on his simple slider adjustments and block out assistance. Now it plays perfect for me.
Madden 21 (PS5)
NBA 2K24 (PS5)
Dragons Dogma 2 (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 10-14-2014, 05:03 PM   #140
MVP

OVR: 1
Offensive rebounding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts18
Oh I know and I agree that THAT is THEEEEEE real issue. But people here and on Tweet are still complaining that OREBS is an issue
Those put backs really make one go Nnnngh! Where's the box out?!

Then you check the stats and you actually have as many O boards as the CPU.

Still the lack of box outs that let even some guards sneak in for easy put backs looks ugly and is concerning though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
Yea, see that falls under a whole different category as far as who needs to look at it and what needs to be done to attempt to cut it back.

It was clear after the thread got going, that that was a sizable issue outside of
the OREB's themselves.
I'm just spitballing here, but I still get the sense that boxing out could be better (or that I need to learn how to trigger it better). Since most boards in 2K are near the rim and not long where there is a higher chance of an offensive board as I understand it, 2K's numbers might look okay but may actually indicate too many boards close to the rim.

Last edited by Sundown; 10-14-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:23 PM   #141
All Star

Sinner's Arena

OVR: 13

I don't usually notice as much as others on here which I guess helps me enjoy the game more, but I understand some are more detailed in what they play/see and that can only help things get better.

This is something that has happened a few times that I've noticed...I didn't think it should happen but I could be wrong.

As you can see Russell shot the ball, MyPlayer, Al Jefferson, Marvin Williams and another guy were all around the ball but only I jumped for it. Nobody blocked out Westbrook and when I jumped my hands touched the ball but of course didn't bring it in, nobody even tried to jump for the ball and it went to him for the easy put back and win.

Last edited by Sinner; 10-14-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2014, 05:33 PM   #142
Rookie

antdoggydogg's Arena

OVR: 0

I'm glad others have pointed out the user error issue. I completely agree and hope they dont go changing the game from all these previous first week complaints. There is an adjustment period and i realized right away the rebounding in this game is going to be new. And I love it. I play against the Spurs and do fine on the glass, but I played Memphis and they just dont quit fighting for boards. And none of it feels cheap, people are complaining about the way they CPU gets offensive boards but whenever you look at the replay youre usually one half step out of position and thats what leads to the offensive rebound for your opponent. This game is real, so real that you have to take everything into account. My learning curve might've been faster since I'm used to always defending as a weakside defender whether that be sagging off a bad shooter or the weakside big man.

Anyway, sounds like we've moved past the offensive rebounds being the issue, and are focusing on putbacks which we all agree happen under circumstances that don't always make sense. I noticed a few of these and turned down the putback tendency to 45 and haven't seen much if any since then. But I'll be playing more tonight and will always keep an eye out for stuff like that. It definitely helps to turn down close shot tendency too. Cause if they grab the offensive rebound, there are two things that the computer is most likely taking into account, the putback tendency and the tendency to shoot close shots/inside shots. I'm not a programmer but that's just my logical guess. So turning those down might help, although I wouldnt lower inside shots any lower than 50, that seems like youre just making it easier for yourself to play defense.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:56 PM   #143
Rookie

aga11ah's Arena

OVR: 5

antdoggydogg you are totally missing the point

it's not the fact the CPU is getting so many rebounds... it's just the fact of how fast they do it.. which gives the user no chance to do much about it.

I've always heard Shawn Marion has a super quick second jump in real life... well.. everyone is Shawn Marion on 2k15 lol.. the big guys react super fast and put the ball back up at an absurd speed. that's the issue. wake up
Old 10-14-2014, 06:34 PM   #144
Books Nelson Simnation

Bornindamecca's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar

the OREB's themselves.
Yeah, in User vs AI 5-on-5 Superstar Sim, I'm not seeing a major rebounding issue. In MyCareer it is a nightmare.

Overall problem is that your teammates act poorly(both modes) when the ball goes up. In 5-on-5 when you play great defense, the CPU isn't in position to cheese most of the time, and you can switch to the rebounder as soon as you make the contest, so there is some leeway because you have general control.

This masks the problem, though. AI teammate reaction to the ball is very poor in all situations, and the user is stuck in contest animations for too long on defense, and shot attempt reactions too long on offense.

I realize that the CPU needs the ability to break out faster to prevent the user from having +40 boards, but the user lockout needs to be toned down a bit.

Having the CPU kick the ball back out will help, as there are a few under the basket attempts which will almost certainly go in if they aren't blocked or double teamed. This isn't a problem with bigs, but wing players and small guards can do it.

Last thing: when you press turbo and go to the basket for a rebound, the force field that forces the boxout is HUGE. If there is a way to put in one of the contextual boxout animations, I think that would work as a fix since it would force more randomness in rebound situations.

Last edited by Bornindamecca; 10-14-2014 at 06:38 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »