Home

MyGM newbie questions

This is a discussion on MyGM newbie questions within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-14-2014, 02:12 AM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: MyGM newbie questions

Just trying this for the first time tonight. I simmed through season 1 with the Wolves (and endured the consequences of not caring) in a tank effort.

My question is: can you really not make trades during the offseason? I couldn't figure it out for the life of me and had to make my planned trades before the first game. Team chemistry plummeted to 25%. What am I missing?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2014, 02:25 AM   #42
Rookie

Oh one more thing...during the draft you can't trade or trade for players who were already drafted, but other GM's can call you with those proposals?
Old 12-14-2014, 09:58 PM   #43
Rookie

Bump and help?
Old 12-24-2014, 11:32 AM   #44
Just started!

Can I move/import my scanned player from mycareer to a roster in myleague or myGM? Thanks.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:26 AM   #45
Banned

I wanted to post this here for all the newbies. Something I wrote up a while back, based on over 50 seasons of mygm(didnt play a lot of games, simulcast a lot of them. Kinda long but I wanted people to know what Ive found effective in mygm when it comes to training and development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtownwaves
As someone who's exclusively played mygm over 40 seasons, Ive learned "a thing or two about a thing or two" to quote Deniro in this boys life.

First off, **** YOUR PLAYERS FEELINGS! Now Im not telling you to give tough love to a pat my back player or vice versa. What I am saying is YOU NEVER PROMISE ANYONE ANYTHING. The only exception to that rule is if a player comes in sad you havent started a contract extension talk and you really did plan on signing him but forgot. Then go ahead and promise then do it right away. But if someones bitching about time, DENY. Someone's crying about intensity either way? DENY! Now this doesnt mean you dont change it up or down after denying but I'll get more into that in a second.

When you gain a new level, the first things you should be getting are progressive fatigue reducers, potential raisers, and the acceleration of development ones. This will help you develop anyone down the road. I literally can take a 50+ player and make them a 70+ player in 1 year. They'll reach 90 in 2. However I have +15 potential from badges and facilities as well as 20% faster development. Also, the progressive fatigue reducers make it so you can literally train very high every day, once you have enough of them.

Until then though, you're going to want to pay attention to the schedule as well as the players themselves. Older players and slower centers/pfs dont usually like the intensity higher than high, at least until you have enough of the fatigue reducers. If someone has a high work ethic badge they should AT LEAST be on high, if not very high until they complain. Legendary work ethic players never go lower than very high, even if they bitch.

Under team training, there's a way to set it so you do or dont take a break AFTER a back to back. TURN THAT BREAK OFF. If your players need it, you can override the practice and make it rest, but usually you should train after it and then take the day off before the next game if possible. If you're on a 3 in 4 nights, it depends who that third team is. Are they a jobber? PRACTICE, **** FATIGUE. If they're a contender, TAKE THE DAY OFF. That way you're fresh while they may be a little sluggish.

Also, still under team training, there's a way to customize how much you want to work on either physical tactical or fundamentals. You should set this something like 24 for the one you need the least, 42 for the one you need the most and then leave the 3rd one at 34. Now, I know what you're thinking, the one at 24 is gonna fall behind, right? Thats where the actual schedule comes in handy. Its automatically gonna set most if not all practices to what you decided. But if you go to the schedule and change it to a rest then back to a practice, it will make that single practice the default setting of 33 33 34. I do this ever other practice to every third practice depending how little or much I need to work on the least necessary.

As for personal development, You pretty much NEVER want to build a single stat until its worthless to go by type. Soon enough, you'll notice one if not many players are pretty much maxed on athletics. If thats the case, many times there's one athletic spot that isnt perfect or even avg for the position sometimes. THATS THE ONE YOU WANT TO SET TO A SPECIFIC ATTRIBUTE. Same can apply to the other 2 categories. Say you have all the iq's pretty high but your offensive or defensive consistency is dog ****, right? So you say under tactical work on that consistency alone.

Other reason you do this is if they're a rookie but you're trying to specialize them. Think Bruno Cabocolo of the raptors. He's gonna be a great sharpshooter pretty early in his career, but the dude can not get consistent to save his life(he's like a 30 first year). In that instance, I can deal with a loss in the other tactical attributes if I can force him to become more consistent. I think consistency gets built by offensive or defensive player types too though, so if you dont want to focus on just that, you pick one of those.

All that applies to fundamental as well, very frequently I have players max out shooting but they have no low post game. Under fundamental you can say practice just low post offense. Thats when you'd do that.

Now, this is where it gets really in depth. You have to think 2-3 years ahead of where you are now with a player. Sure, Giannis Antetokuompo is a good sf, but as a year or two goes by, he will be better suited at sg and then pg in year three. The way you make this possible is you always pick the player type you want but the position smaller than you are. You will gain more speed if you pick a smaller position and more strength for bigger positions under athletic. You will work on mid range jumpers more for big outside scoring and 3pts for pgs. This all has to be thought through to better develop your players.

Also, I change the player type or specific skill every month for everyone, and I never develop over average for very young players. WHY? Because they have 10 years to develop past average, why waste the time building past that when you can make them better all around players. The only reason I wouldnt change one of them for someone is if they still are below average in that area for that position, then keep it there. But be very aware of the compatibility for the player type in each position for a player. Say you're a sf/sg that needs to work on defense but you're a low at pg, avg at sg, high at sf avg at pf. Obviously you need to pick sf. But if they're all high or very high, you need to pick the one that better build your player to the position/type you want him to be.

As i said earlier, they build up differently per position, even if they're focusing on the same type. And also realize that compatibility changes as your ratings get higher. You may be a very high defensive sf compatibility but a high on sg and avg on pg. But for the greek freak, after a little time building his athletics, his pg compatibility to rise to high and then very high. Its all based on the ratings you're at for the type of player you're trying to build. And it changes if you move a player to a different position. It will revert if you go back to that original position but this can change your development plans. He may have been a very high compatibility AS A SF WORKING ON A SG PLAYER TYPE. But you move him to SG, and it may drop to High FOR BOTH POSITIONS...

Finally, to go back to something I said earlier, a player's position isnt always the one they should keep. You should be looking at moving people down or up a position every year or two till you find the spot you want them. I'll give an example of my team.

Started one with the bucks, after trades, I had Zach Levine at pg, Bruno at sg, Giannis at sf, aaron gordon at pf and kanter at center, with exum on the bench. But as time went on, and I started moving developed players I didnt intend to keep, I slowly brought the players up a position. So year one giannis is a sf, year 2 he's a sg, and by year 4, he became my starting pg because i traded levine and exum away. Meanwhile, I kept gordon at pf till the end of year three, then I moved him to sf. I now have a sf who gets 2.5 o rebounds a game, and hes developed enough outside to be a lesser shawn marion. With another year of training, he'll be an all around scoring machine.

This is just how I play, but I find it works very well. I no longer draft or trade for players with a potential higher than a c+(really a c), because my team adds 15 points to everyones potential when they join my team. And I never take a day off training because I have the private jet and the other fatigue reducers. I can make a 75 a 90+ in one year...
To add onto this. Once you've played so long that you have all the boosts for development and attributes, you should only keep a good starting 5(maybe 2 90s, and a couple low 80s). Everyone else, Ive come to enjoy having as low of potential and overall as possible 19 year olds that are just freaks of nature. When scouting, write out a list of dream prospects that have amazing size(ESPECIALLY WINGSPAN, YOU'LL NEVER SEE IT AGAIN). For instance, I've found 6'9 with 7'6 ws pfs and turned them into sfs. I turn 6'8 with 7'0+ sfs into sgs, 6'4 sgs into pgs. 7'0 centers 7'6 ws into pfs. etc

Not only do I get to build them from scratch to who I want them to be through training, I dont have to horde the talent of the nba. Everyone on the bench usually starts the season at highest a 70-75 if they were already developed a year ago. 5 Reserves are from 50-55 overall to mold into monsters who will take over the league. So much more fun now, I dont even draft, I just sign the low potential freaks of nature that didnt get drafted. I do trade for picks though when moving studs. I just give them back in the draft or appropriate them to the worst teams. Within 2 years of moving talent to them, they should be contenders...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-02-2015, 02:25 PM   #46
Banned

SlyNumb3r1's Arena

OK i am not really a newbie.. i play this game since 2k8.. but something isnt right i think..

the Rotation Minutes that i give my players in the Rotations menu doesnt effect my Game Minutes when i sctually play games at all.. For example i give my Starting SF 26 min. and my 6th man gets 25 minutes.. when i play sim he games the Minutes are alright.. but when i play it.. its just every starter has 30+ and bench players never go over 20 min. thats so annoying because i play with the celtics and the most Minutes i gave to Reggie Jackson with 30. and i want to play the bench and give them many minutes (Marcus Smart for example) but they get the same minutes every time whatever minutes i give them..
Old 01-02-2015, 07:24 PM   #47
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallyworld
Just trying this for the first time tonight. I simmed through season 1 with the Wolves (and endured the consequences of not caring) in a tank effort.

My question is: can you really not make trades during the offseason? I couldn't figure it out for the life of me and had to make my planned trades before the first game. Team chemistry plummeted to 25%. What am I missing?
There is a period where you should be able to do trades before the draft takes place. Just check to see if trades are available during each stage. After the draft, trades haven't been available for me.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:26 PM   #48
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyNumb3r1
OK i am not really a newbie.. i play this game since 2k8.. but something isnt right i think..

the Rotation Minutes that i give my players in the Rotations menu doesnt effect my Game Minutes when i sctually play games at all.. For example i give my Starting SF 26 min. and my 6th man gets 25 minutes.. when i play sim he games the Minutes are alright.. but when i play it.. its just every starter has 30+ and bench players never go over 20 min. thats so annoying because i play with the celtics and the most Minutes i gave to Reggie Jackson with 30. and i want to play the bench and give them many minutes (Marcus Smart for example) but they get the same minutes every time whatever minutes i give them..
Although the CPU seems to be a little better at substitutions this time around, they still need much improvement. If substitutions are set to auto, the CPU just doesn't seem to know how to handle more complex rotations in played games. Auto substitutions have always been a problem in the 2k series. In the past, I know setting rotations to fatigue helped somewhat, but it still didn't get the right amount of minutes down. AFAIK, the only way to get the exact rotation you want is to figure it out yourself (find out when players should be subbed in and out during games) and do them manually.

Last edited by Aszrayel; 01-02-2015 at 07:31 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »