Home

So 2k, when will the scripted game play end?

This is a discussion on So 2k, when will the scripted game play end? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 12:24 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: So 2k, when will the scripted game play end?

Try calling a time out, I used to have this problem then I started calling time outs. So when I get scored on 3 times in a row without me scoring I call a time out.

This usually resets momentum back to a level playing field and I can begin to make a run. I know this works when playing against a human player as well as the CPU. Or maybe its all in my head.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:38 PM   #10
MVP

HypoLuxa13's Arena

Back in the day, even going back to Sega Genesis/Super Nintendo, many sports games, especially Basketball games, had some sort of "Keep Scores Close Y/N" option. Basically, with it set to Yes, neither you nor your opponent (CPU or otherwise) could get out to too big of a lead. AI logic would compensate. Old NBA Live games had it, possibly NBA 2k at one point as well.

It sounds like the Original Poster on this thread is indicating he feels like some sort of artificial mechanic similar to this is at work here?

Maybe I'm just making myself sound old by remembering these options in sports games past...
Old 10-28-2014, 02:08 PM   #11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
Doesn't something have to start before it ends. There is no comeback or scripting. Get over it. There is a momentum mechanic to model real life hot streaks, and that's not scripting. It can be completely managed by the players. If you opponent gets on a run, you better start using your timeouts or locking down on defense. If you start missing shots, slow it down and get the open looks. It's that simple.
And stop taking 50 shots a game with Kobe/LeBron/Durant. I seriously wonder how many of these complaints are guys getting affected by shot fatigue in the 4th after cheesing with a guy all game
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2014, 03:03 PM   #12
Rookie

meccs's Arena

Never because frustrating rubber band makes you wanna buy that shiny VC!
Old 10-28-2014, 03:10 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookid
There is no scripting in the game and never was. There was only one game scripted last year in MC to hit the game winner.

The reason why everyone thinks the game is scripted is because of momentum. This year it needs to be dialed down a little more because with momentum you are unstoppable. On HOF every game is really tight because the CPU can recover from good momentum by hitting contested shots and if they get momentum, they play very good on offense and defense. The same is true for when you are subbed out in MC. If you build momentum with your team before you get subbed out, chances are you will come back in the game with a lead.

Notice next time when you are playing well on offense and the opposing CPU team isn't, how dominant you are on defense as well. Then notice how clueless your team is on defense when you are losing the game. 2K is all about momentum. Made shots, streaks, players and performance all relies on that mechanic.
Momentum is one thing, it's another thing when teammates play dumb, dunk animations cancel, and opposing bench players drop 40 points off making contested 3s

It just feels like all cpu sliders are jacked up and your teams sliders are nerfed. They miss open layups, shots, let the opposing team grab simple rebounds they could have grabbed.. It's not momentum.. Even if the other team is hot, it doesn't mean my team shouldn't make an effort to play defense, grab rebounds and play smart.

Strictly speaking about MC
Old 10-28-2014, 05:56 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypoLuxa13
Back in the day, even going back to Sega Genesis/Super Nintendo, many sports games, especially Basketball games, had some sort of "Keep Scores Close Y/N" option. Basically, with it set to Yes, neither you nor your opponent (CPU or otherwise) could get out to too big of a lead. AI logic would compensate. Old NBA Live games had it, possibly NBA 2k at one point as well.

It sounds like the Original Poster on this thread is indicating he feels like some sort of artificial mechanic similar to this is at work here?

Maybe I'm just making myself sound old by remembering these options in sports games past...

lol, with NBA Jam, I never played the game before, yet was able to beat my cocky cousin who played the game religiously and felt so smug about that victory.

Years later in college, I buy the N64 game and I realize the game is completely rigged. If you are winning by more than 4, the game makes it so that you cannot make a shot, while making it so that your opponent always makes their shots.

The only way around it is to dunk.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:14 PM   #15
Pro

FedExPope's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookid
There is no scripting in the game and never was. There was only one game scripted last year in MC to hit the game winner.

The reason why everyone thinks the game is scripted is because of momentum. This year it needs to be dialed down a little more because with momentum you are unstoppable. On HOF every game is really tight because the CPU can recover from good momentum by hitting contested shots and if they get momentum, they play very good on offense and defense. The same is true for when you are subbed out in MC. If you build momentum with your team before you get subbed out, chances are you will come back in the game with a lead.

Notice next time when you are playing well on offense and the opposing CPU team isn't, how dominant you are on defense as well. Then notice how clueless your team is on defense when you are losing the game. 2K is all about momentum. Made shots, streaks, players and performance all relies on that mechanic.
So we should have to guess what the momentum is at at any given time, then? How do we even know that its actually in the game in the first place? There's no proof of it. We just have to guess who has momentum at any given time, while not even knowing its in the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2014, 10:35 PM   #16
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedExPope
So we should have to guess what the momentum is at at any given time, then? How do we even know that its actually in the game in the first place? There's no proof of it. We just have to guess who has momentum at any given time, while not even knowing its in the game.
Mike Wang has confirmed the momentum system multiple times in the past. How would you know when it's kicked in? The same way a real coach would. The other team is going on a run on you or a player is getting hot on you.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »