Home

The "Y" (or triangle) button on defense...

This is a discussion on The "Y" (or triangle) button on defense... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-27-2014, 01:20 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: The "Y" (or triangle) button on defense...

Happens at least once a game in mycareer, very aggravating.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:26 PM   #18
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Not sure if it works. Goffs just said he doesn't have it since he turned up the defensive assist slider to 50.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:38 PM   #19
Pro

Jhawkfootball06's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by amedawg00
Jumping the passing lanes or trying to steal post entry passes has been nerfed. I found that it is tied to the defender ratings more this year. The interceptor badge is key for those types of steals this year. This is a welcomed change since you can make the d pay for reckless steal gambles imo
No no no. I agree on making the D pay for going for a reckless steal, but the way they have it now hurts the game. I can't tell you how many times I've made a dude throw a bad pass while my guy is right there for the steal and don't get it. It hurts the skilled players who can read passes and plays into novices where they can make arrogant passes with no punishment.

Last edited by Jhawkfootball06; 10-27-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:39 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 3

this, blocks overall, as well as pass deflections seem to be better after the patch... anyone else notice this?
Old 10-27-2014, 03:24 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Last year I would have agreed with you. The only time I would get a non response from the block button is when I wouldn’t realistically be able to contest…and that was all under the rim. I can understand that mechanic. This year it seems to be happening even if the offensive player is at least two steps away…and it also happens on jump shot’s

It seems to happen if the offensive player is already in motion at times, and the game engine decides that a collision animation is going to override any contest or block attempt. Or it sends your center falling to the ground when a small drives, and you don't even get a charge call. It's absolutely aggravating.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2014, 04:03 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

I was going to ask/demand for video to illustrate this problem but then realized it would be meaningless.

How would you do that? A split screen of the game video and a camera shot of the controller in your hands?

Or just a video of getting dunked on with commentary saying "I tried to block it but he never jumped!"

Not a big deal I just thought it was kind of funny.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:35 PM   #23
Pro

FloorGeneral's Arena

OVR: 2

The 2 quotes that immediately come to mind from Beluba's thread are:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
Yeah we've been trying to figure out what people are seeing when they talk about input lag. Defensive movement responsiveness is something Jerson is looking into for the patch and there have been a couple fixes for dropped block inputs. But beyond that, we're hearing mixed feedback.

I'm curious, how many people are playing with wireless controllers and have you tried playing wired? The only significant lag I've seen throughout development was related to my ps4 controller's bluetooth connection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
Shouldn't be too much different than real life principles. You probably have to anticipate earlier this year compared to past years. We're doing a much better job now of respecting the defender's momentum in this year's block system so you can't just stop on a dime for shot blocks when your momentum doesn't agree with where you need to target the ball. So try to make sure you're measuring the shooter up with your steps before your block attempts and gap enough to give yourself time to compress and get off the floor at the right time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
People should pay attention to the 2nd one in particular, because I think that some of the time what's happening, is ppl are trying to block a shot with a guy that's not necessarily in a good position to actually block it, and maybe that's why the button becomes unresponsive.

I know that it's tough sledding around here to admit that maybe we as the user are doing something wrong (I mean, we're always in perfect position, and always do everything right ...We are ALL guilty of this, myself definitely included), but it does need to be accounted for, because, as Mike said (albeit in less words), there's no fathomable reason why a guy should be moving one way with his man off the ball, away from the play, then be able to immediately turn, jump and block a shot all in one motion. Physics would like to have a word with someone that thinks that is possible.

The button unresponsiveness has definitely happened to me (and I play with the Bucks, so I have Sanders and Henson, 2 great shot blockers down there), and it's frustrated the hell out of me when I go to jump, and they don't. I'd like to think that I was in perfect position, and that the game put the screws to me, but I honestly don't know. After he (Mike) made that remark, I'll definitely keep an eye out on future "non jumps", and try and see if maybe it/they were just unrealistic block attempts.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:51 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 3

I was the one that asked the question that got the second response and in my first game after the patch my timing magically got better to the tune of 5 blocks. I was actually patrolling the paint, and felt like a threat.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »