Home

Why is it "okay" to cheat?

This is a discussion on Why is it "okay" to cheat? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-27-2015, 04:21 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Why is it "okay" to cheat?

I dunno If I would call it cheating. Its probably more scrub mentality.

http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win
Old 02-28-2015, 01:38 AM   #18
MVP

HowDareI's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratedmoney
Firstly I wouldnt call it cheating, I dont think anyone is breaking a rule to get an unfair advantage. Also 2K can fix every known glitch or exploit in the game for 2K16 and gamers will just find other ways to exploit the game or new exploits will appear. Thats the reality of the situation. Yea its frustrating but thats what you gotta deal with if your gonna play games online with randoms. Nothing you say will change that. You can either join a community of gamers with your same mindset and only play them online or just deal with the randoms. Probably 90% of the people who play this game have never even played in an organized league or just understand some basic concepts of basketball. They know Lebron can dunk, Steph Curry can shoot 3s, and MJ is considered the GOAT.
I know that there's always going to be people like that, I'm saying 2K can send a message that they don't encourage this type of play by issuing a few 48 hour suspensions to people they see horribly abusing this stuff.

I'm good at the game, that's the problem lol. I can go on a 15 game streak and lose to a team of 3 "legends" that abuse the heck out of the game. It's just frustration...

I'm looking at this from 2K's perspective; shouldn't they be annoyed that there's immature children, even adults which is sadder, that are making a joke of their game by exploiting these things every single game and ruining the experience for people who play with a sim perspective?

-Allen Iverson
Old 02-28-2015, 01:43 AM   #19
MVP

HowDareI's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsJustaGame
The stuff in bold are just my thoughts on the exploits you mentioned. Don't get me wrong, all of it (and much more) is completely and utterly annoying, but I say things like "game-changing" and "taking over a game" because most of them aren't bad enough to keep a good team of sim players from winning (which is all that matters).

I should also mention that everything I say is in reference to the Rec, not the Park or Stage (except for the screens). I only play Rec. I've said this before but there is no rhyme or reason in the Park, it's a small step up from NBA Jam. You'll see everything at the Park and that will never change, but who cares? It's a Park game, it's supposed to be the 'ole hack-n-slap, high-flying, completely ridiculous blacktop pick-ups, don't take it too seriously, you will be disappointed.
No you're right, most of the time me and my 2 friends can stop and dominate people doing that. But I shouldn't have to try so hard to stop it. It just shouldn't work period...and if 2K can't stop it then stop the people who are abusing it....

Look, if there were people glitching out of maps and getting 30 killstreaks on CoD they'd either fix the glitch or ban the people doing it...take the same approach if you want credibility.

Like go look on twitter or fb: everyone just bashes 2K 24/7 for the servers and exploits lol

And it's not even remotely as bad in the rec, I split my time between the two...it's just rec games take longer so if I'm getting quick games in or there's not enough online I'm in park.

I also know there's a lot of players out there not as invested as I am, they don't play as much or just aren't as good as I am....if I get frustrated with these kind of people, imagine how bad it is for the people who can't stop the exploits?

-Allen Iverson
Old 02-28-2015, 09:37 AM   #20
Farewell and 'ado

DocHolliday's Arena

OVR: 19

How do you magically expect this to stop? This has literally happened since the first online game was played.

It will never change, to some degree it is the human element.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2015, 01:07 PM   #21
MVP

HowDareI's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
How do you magically expect this to stop? This has literally happened since the first online game was played.

It will never change, to some degree it is the human element.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If no one ever takes the initiative to stop it, it won't happen.

How can anyone possibly sit back and be content with people exploiting to gain an advantage?

*I'm not saying someone who does it a few times a game needs to be banned from ever playing, that's where people are getting it wrong. I don't even mind people doing it like that; sometimes it's a mistake, sometimes the play just breaks down like that.
I'm talking about the people who exclusively abuse known exploits to gain unfair advantages. It's literally against the rules to go online and do that per Microsoft, I'm assuming Sony too.
**And I'm talking 24 hour suspension, let people know it's not okay. Do it again? 48 hours. They have report buttons for a reason, if they're not using them then remove it from the system.

I used to play ranked exclusively, up until about 2K12 when the game really started blowing up with a high online population. Then, all the kids who cheese to win came in and found ways to win while not replicating any sort of basketball.

All I'm saying, is go into a competitive shooter and do things like glitching under the map or anything like that...chances are you're gonna get suspended or it's gonna get patched.
2K hasn't been successful in patching everything, so people should start being suspended.

I said it before it really doesn't bother me that much. I still have a 4-1 win ratio in various modes but I don't want to ever have to deal with it. It's 2015, a next gen console, and we can't clean up this kind of stuff despite all them claims when the Xbox was announced about how easy it would be to hot patch games and report/avoid players....haven't seen it on 2K yet.

You're right that it's human nature, and it's fun playing and adjusting to different playstyles.
Playing someone who moves the ball to get easy 3's or dunks is not cheese, it's smart. Someone who runs back and forth unrealistically or sets illegal screens to do so is exploiting the system.

-Allen Iverson

Last edited by HowDareI; 02-28-2015 at 01:10 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2015, 05:58 PM   #22
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDareI
All I'm saying, is go into a competitive shooter and do things like glitching under the map or anything like that...chances are you're gonna get suspended or it's gonna get patched.
2K hasn't been successful in patching everything, so people should start being suspended..
Lets be real tho, glitching under the map vs driving baseline or spamming dribble moves isn't even close. Driving baseline isn't exploiting its cheesy but not exploiting. Why do people drive baseline? Because 2k somehow made it overpowered. If i where to choose between driving from the baseline vs driving right down the middle i would obviously choose baseline. Why? Because its the best way. That argument is like saying ur exploiting and you should be banned for using lets say the most overpowered weapon ever in a shooter instead of a decent gun simply because the devs made it that good. Do you understand where im going with this? Spamming dribble moves exist because ur supposed to combine dribbles etc. Dribbling left to right is a bit cheesy, but ur not exploiting. Because if i want a 2 pointer in park how am i supposed to achieve it if im not allowed to dribble left then right or right then left? Spamming the square/x button is only a problem because you dont really get punished by doing it, which is 2ks fault. Their decision to make it so u dont get punished for reaching. Stepback 3 is kinda exploiting, but like u said u can stop it, still shouldn't work the way it does tho. And the most obvious Screening in the paint. That is exploiting since ur using a move ur not supposed to use in a situation to disable your opponent from doing anything to you.

Sry for the wall of text but hopefully u can read it.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:04 PM   #23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchyroll_51
I agree with you. This was one of the reasons why I started making tutorials on YouTube. I wanted to reeducate some of the younger 2K ballers out there on the more beautiful parts of the game. Maybe make them allergic to 2K Cheese like us SIM guys haha

Sam Pham
I actually agree with Sam here....

I'm not trying to make excuses for 2K and some programming/gameplay issues, but there is clearly an "education" gap that exists with the cheesiest players.

This game plays pretty well when you put two intelligent (hoops IQ), like-minded, SIM players against each other.

But throw a different player into the mix...and all bets are off.

Of course, there is a 3rd type of player out there...and that is the straight up TROLL. There are people out there who apparently want to do nothing but find the exploits and glitches in the game and ruin the experiences of others by performing them over...and over...and over...and over...

Sadly, these people cannot be helped...and we just have to take solace in the fact that they will die alone in their parents basement.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:50 PM   #24
Pro

BellSKA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDareI
I didn't exactly say that, more along the lines of Microsoft/Sony getting notified that people abusing these things are to be banned for 24 hours every offense.

I don't know how it works, but if 2K's not taking the measures to clean up the mess that online's becoming then maybe they need to do this.
I for one am a huge proponent for reporting cheaters/ exploiters. I'm averaging about 3 a week. I'm mainly focusing on the double dribbler cheaters. If it's a turnover in the real game and you found a way to abuse it online, then I'm turning you in. I've turned in a handful of zig zag abusers. Mostly guys where that's all they do and that's the only way they score. It's one thing to create space, it's another to have that be your 'go to' every time. I can only think of once where I reported a nut hugger(s). It was team with a couple nut huggers and a jacker. Was very abused in that game.

With all that being said, Microsoft and Sony don't really act upon reports because they are only being reported by a couple people. I put exactly the problem in the comments, but know that no one reads it. If they really cared there would be a team checking for this on both platforms for all games.

Another thing I'll do is record the cheat and send it in. I'll also send it to the offender letting them know I'm aware they are cheating and others are now as well.

I agree with some that a few of these are just corrections that 2K needs to repair and until that happens it's not a big deal. But some of these are very blatant. If you aren't aware or are unwilling to acknowledge that, then you're guilty of cheating yourself and feel this gives you an out. Or you have no civility.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »