Home

Layup initiations and 2man animations

This is a discussion on Layup initiations and 2man animations within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Would you welcome defensive positioning cancel layup attempts?
yes 8 61.54%
no 5 38.46%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2015, 10:06 PM   #1
Banned

thedream2k16's Arena

OVR: 0
Question Layup initiations and 2man animations

After playing 2k and that "other" game this week i have noticed something that would benefit 2k greatly when it comes to being in proper defensive position.
Currently in 2k15 and previous titles users had the ability to start a canned 2 player layup animations that were basically unguardable as a on ball defender. These animations would initiate when being closely guarded regardless of defenders position.

in the "other" game if you start a hop step or euro when a defender is tightly guarding the ballhandler it would sometimes just trigger a contact animation which would counter the offensive animation and the layup attempt would not initiate. Its rewards the defensive position and removes the bailout foul crutch we see in the current game which usually results in a foul or And1 FT attempt

What do you guys think? Would this kill peoples " rack" attempts in 2k and make it to hard to drive the paint all game therefore causing uproar?

Examples:
http://xboxclips.com/Teebone21/2c258...c-408a9a67bf9b
http://xboxclips.com/Teebone21/715d8...0-71b4fc5f86c5
http://xboxclips.com/Teebone21/facd9...2-d3c38b29b008

Last edited by thedream2k16; 06-12-2015 at 11:25 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2015, 01:34 AM   #2
Banned

Shady Mike's Arena

Re: Layup initiations and 2man animations

Well have you ever seen someone "counter" a layup in a real basketball game? I voted no. You have to take into account momentum which would make that extremely difficult...If you were going to post examples you need to post examples from an NBA game, that's what I personally need to see. Now in 2K you can press X or Square to attempt a strip of some sort, and I think that gets the job done because it results in either a foul or a turnover, but a "counter" seems super cheesy to me, because I don't see how you can "Counter" someone driving in for a layup without a blocking foul or some type of travel occurring...

EDIT:But now that I think about it the only reason I responded that way is because I don't want the CPU "countering" a layup in a myleague game lol If that was some type of online only timing-based mechanic, then why not? But it should probably stay online, because it definitely isn't SIM basketball. I would argue that a simple fix to the shot blocking and making shot blockers actually useful would make MOST players think twice before driving to the rim.

Last edited by Shady Mike; 06-13-2015 at 01:40 AM.
Old 06-13-2015, 02:00 AM   #3
Banned

thedream2k16's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Mike
Well have you ever seen someone "counter" a layup in a real basketball game? I voted no. You have to take into account momentum which would make that extremely difficult...If you were going to post examples you need to post examples from an NBA game, that's what I personally need to see. Now in 2K you can press X or Square to attempt a strip of some sort, and I think that gets the job done because it results in either a foul or a turnover, but a "counter" seems super cheesy to me, because I don't see how you can "Counter" someone driving in for a layup without a blocking foul or some type of travel occurring...

EDIT:But now that I think about it the only reason I responded that way is because I don't want the CPU "countering" a layup in a myleague game lol If that was some type of online only timing-based mechanic, then why not? But it should probably stay online, because it definitely isn't SIM basketball. I would argue that a simple fix to the shot blocking and making shot blockers actually useful would make MOST players think twice before driving to the rim.
Well playing defense and being sucked into a Undefendable layup animation when playing terrific on ball defense shouldn't happen. The position of the defender has to be respected
Old 06-13-2015, 03:16 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream2k16
Well playing defense and being sucked into a Undefendable layup animation when playing terrific on ball defense shouldn't happen. The position of the defender has to be respected
I feel you, really do. And as much as i agree with the sentiment, i just couldnt vote yes.

What you're suggesting is a bandaid. It's confusing to the general game player to enter various commands and get met with a generic "failure" result.

I would be in favor of just as many failing animations as there are successful animations so when an ill-advised attempt is made, it can be reflected.

Another problem is that too many animations take the offensive player all the way to the rim regardless of ratings, momentum or size.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:21 AM   #5
Rookie

Uhm, can anyone stop Harden from going inside? He makes tons of lay up attempts every single game, gets 10+ free throw attempts per game.

That's basketball. Some players are virtually unstoppable.

And it doesn't happen "that" often in 2k game. If defended well, using good perimeter defenders, you can stop most players from starting a lay up animation most of the time.

Besides, in your first example I guess it's Nick Johnson trying to guard Oladipo, who is one of the best 1v1 players in the game... Come on... It also seems that you are even raising your hands with right stick when he's going past you, which is a no no... It would be only unfair if you were able to stop him in that possession.

In your second example, Howard is bullying a center and finish with a dunk. Not surprising or unrealistic. Happens in real life too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyWpRGoMBm8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vcGm5HtF_4

I don't even see what's wrong in your third example. Everything in it seemed okay to me.

I voted no.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2015, 08:39 AM   #6
MVP

blues rocker's Arena

OVR: 14

i'm pretty happy with how 2k15 handles this area, but i'm all for improvements if there is a better way to do it in future versions. there are situations where the momentum of the 2 players does actually prevent the defender from "stopping" the offensive player. body momentum is very important and sometimes people forget how hard it is for a defender to "stop" a player who is driving to the rim at full speed. especially in fast break situations where the defender is moving backwards and the driving player is barreling to the hoop with all of his forward momentum - in a situation like that, there really is no way for the defender to just "stop" the offensive player's forward progress without fouling him. in these situations i feel like 2k15 handles it pretty believably for the most part. so...i don't feel like 2k needs to overhaul this area, but maybe just tweak it make sure every contact scenario plays out properly depending on player momentum, size, and the player's ability to finish with contact.

Last edited by blues rocker; 06-13-2015 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:37 AM   #7
Rookie

I think they should implement it. Guys like harden make their shots because they have angles. Its different playing a video game. The game should not "create" u an angle just because u have a good player. 2k should not reward players for forcing in the lane. Nobody can just run through a player

Sent from my LIFE PURE MINI using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2015, 10:52 AM   #8
MVP

From what i could see:

In clip #1, it was bad positioning literally causing the defender to do the "Ole defense" animation(he turned to the side instead of bodying and let the other player pass)...it can be countered by intense d at the right moment, however the window is so small as to make it a general defensive problem in 2K.

Clip #3 it looked like Aldridge beats his man and the help defender tried to flop but was too slow to draw the foul.

Now Clip #2....aggressive backdown to the baseline reverse dunk, while there may have been a flop (hard to see), what concerns me there is the baseline reverse animation; those animations definitely do need to be looked at, the way they work you could be Muggsy Bouges and plow right through Dwight Howard and Shaq on the way to the hoop like they were nothing.

All in all,I feel that if they reworked defense to be more realistic instead of just relying on defensive assist and sliding of the defender, it would not happen near as much.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »