Home

NBA 2K series just as big as Grand Theft Auto series.

This is a discussion on NBA 2K series just as big as Grand Theft Auto series. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-05-2015, 03:56 AM   #41
MVP

HowDareI's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K series just as big as Grand Theft Auto series.

I think we'd have a better comparison if Gta released a paid-DLC every year. Then we could compare the sales of the dlc to a new NBA game.

Honestly I'd bet that the DLC would sell as well as 2K does..not taking into account the (most likely) $20 vs $60 price tags.

2K is definitely branching out more and more, with My Career and My Team appealing to a lot more people than just associations and leagues would.

I mean I think 2K makes a lot of money, taking into account they're building off the same game for the most part...not having to develop from scratch like GTA would. Also VC doesn't hurt...I think they make more than we think off that.

But to be honest so many people love GTA, so many girls I talk to wanna come play GTA at my house not NBA lol....it's not a great measuring tool but it's an indicator how people who don't even own a console enjoy the game.

I'd really be interested to see how a DLC would do for the game. I mean think about how many people rebought basically the same game just to be able to play on current consoles...

-Allen Iverson
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2015, 09:12 AM   #42
MVP

tsbmolina's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
Not sure what the point here is. Was there ever any doubt that NBA 2K is a premier big time gaming brand? I wouldn't have been shocked if it sold much better than the GTAs and CODs, as sports are a pretty big deal and have an inbuilt audience.

There are some indie games that blow them all out of the water in regards to ROI.
I was just trying to put it in perpective how huge NBA 2k has become so what better game then the record selling GTA series. NBA 2K went from selling 2 million copies for 2K10 http://www.destructoid.com/nba-2k10-...1-162361.phtml to 7 million for NBA 2k15. In only a 5 year span the NBA 2K series more then tripled the market. It's only shaping up to sell more copies and continue the soaring popularity with 2K16.

Last edited by tsbmolina; 09-05-2015 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:35 PM   #43

m1ke_nyc's Arena

OVR: 7

I get the point of the thread but no NBA2K is not even close to being in the same ballpark as GTA. It takes NBA2K several years and several new entries to equal the same amount of sales as a brand new GTA does in its first year on the market. Sure over the course of five years things balance out and 2K then equals GTA but it takes 5years and 5 new games from NBA2K to do that. NBA2K has to pump out 5 games to get those numbers while GTA pumps out 1.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:43 PM   #44
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28
NBA 2K series just as big as Grand Theft Auto series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbmolina
I was just trying to put it in perpective how huge NBA 2k has become so what better game then the record selling GTA series. NBA 2K went from selling 2 million copies for 2K10 http://www.destructoid.com/nba-2k10-...1-162361.phtml to 7 million for NBA 2k15. In only a 5 year span the NBA 2K series more then tripled the market. It's only shaping up to sell more copies and continue the soaring popularity with 2K16.

This can't be stated enough. You have a handful of people trying to justify the existence of a poor product for the purposes of "competition", yet, by itself, this game has more than tripled the size of the market. It's clear their aim goes FAR beyond beating the direct competitor. It will never reach the penetration of the big casual genre games. But the fact that this conversation has merit is astounding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratedmoney
I get the point of the thread but no NBA2K is not even close to being in the same ballpark as GTA. It takes NBA2K several years and several new entries to equal the same amount of sales as a brand new GTA does in its first year on the market. Sure over the course of five years things balance out and 2K then equals GTA but it takes 5years and 5 new games from NBA2K to do that. NBA2K has to pump out 5 games to get those numbers while GTA pumps out 1.

No one even is trying to claim NBA would sell more than GTA. At the same time, from a business standpoint, NBA technically in some ways is a BETTER investment than GTA. And THAT is part of the point. You say it takes X years for NBA to "equal" GTA. Well, I say NBA doesn't take as long as GTA to turn around. The investment to benefit ratio are comparable. So, yeah, it actually IS in the ballpark!

Last edited by Boilerbuzz; 09-05-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:33 PM   #45
MVP

Tengo Juego's Arena

OVR: 29

Take Two would really sit pretty if, say, they were in control of the shield.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2015, 04:49 PM   #46
Zero Finger Movement

CRIP4LIFE's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle Westbrook
Aren't 2K and GTA made by the same company or something to that extent?
no. they are published by take two. take two doesnt make nba2k, visual concepts does. take two doesnt make gta, rockstar does.

saying nba2k and gta are made by the same company is like saying brittney spears music is made by the same company that made michael jackson music just because they both were published by sony records.
NCAA - CLEMSON
Old 09-05-2015, 05:02 PM   #47
All Star

rockchisler's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
That's totally not the point and you know it. But even so, if Lebron get me 30 in 1 game and zero in the other 5, I have a 1-5 record. He doesn't help me. I'll take the guy that's gonna get me something consistently.
Lebron will ever be held to 0 points

Follow me on www.Twitter.com/Rockchisler

Just type [ SPOILER ] and [ / SPOILER ], without any spaces.

ROOKIE KILLER
Old 09-05-2015, 07:13 PM   #48
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchisler
Lebron will ever be held to 0 points
OK. Still not the point. Change the example to JR Smith then.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »