Home

NBA 2K16 Player Ratings & Screenshots - Day Five: Morrow, Johnson, Turner & More

This is a discussion on NBA 2K16 Player Ratings & Screenshots - Day Five: Morrow, Johnson, Turner & More within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-09-2015, 05:25 PM   #65
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: NBA 2K16 Screenshot Stanley Johnson, Myles Turner & Cameron Payne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevertheles109
Rashidi, I appreciate the valuable information you provide to OS. Nevertheless, the reason your messages aren't heard as clearly as they are written is due to your snobbish/arrogant remarks when they are unnecessary. The bolded above is a clear example man.

You attracts bees with honey, not vinegar.
No wonder my Bee farm went down the tubes so quickly...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2015, 06:26 PM   #66
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoDC
For example, of the new attribute ratings systems is based off of an all time set of benchmarks for corresponding player behavior/stats, then, by adopting a more standard ratings philosophy, did something about the balance among positions change?

That is, did they discover that, for some reason, their past subjective ratings favored bigs too much? I would find that hard to believe having played the game a few years, but was that an outcome?
It is nothing so complex as that. The OVR formula for PF/C has badly needed re-evaluation for the past decade or so. PGs conversely will always rate highly via 2K OVR. Rondo had a higher rating than Dirk for a number of years.

Or, as they reworked ratings by attribute, did they also try to benchmark past all time PER ratings against the game's OVR ratings, and as a result, try to rework the way they computed OVR? That is, did the OVR formula under the hood change this year in how it weights attributes by position? If so, why, and based on what?

Quote:
Do they think that, by trying to become more standardized in ratings, that the game will now reflect the relative historical weakness of bigs overall in the league now? Or does the OVR rating suffer because bigs get fewer stats in today's game the way it is played?
Bigs are great right now. Center is deeper than it's really ever been, and that includes the heralded 90s. The league has always been top-heavy at center. The 15-20 ranked centers of today would steamroll the 10-15 centers of twenty years ago.

The problem is 2K doesn't evaluate the position properly, as least in the context of what makes a good big man in the year 2015.
http://youtube.com/real2krosters
Old 09-09-2015, 06:41 PM   #67
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashidi
Bigs are great right now. Center is deeper than it's really ever been, and that includes the heralded 90s. The league has always been top-heavy at center. The 15-20 ranked centers of today would steamroll the 10-15 centers of twenty years ago.

The problem is 2K doesn't evaluate the position properly, as least in the context of what makes a good big man in the year 2015.
Im going to have to respectfully disagree with you here. I think bigs were more skilled around the hoop and better defenders back in 80's and 90's although not as athletic obviously. There more PF today than centers. There was a lot of depth with centers back in the day. Even guys like let's say a Ric Smits, Kevin Willis, Bill Laimbeer would translate just fine in today's NBA. Centers now aren't your prototypical center per say. They stretch the floor, not great at any 1 thing, lack post moves, etc. I do think there is a young wave of kids coming in however like this last draft and few years before it that by the time they are done can compare to what your talking about. But it's all debatable I guess.

How would you suggest 2k should rate and evaluate todays big man? To make sure ratings are comparable to all positions?
Old 09-09-2015, 08:47 PM   #68
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
Im going to have to respectfully disagree with you here. I think bigs were more skilled around the hoop and better defenders back in 80's and 90's although not as athletic obviously. There more PF today than centers. There was a lot of depth with centers back in the day. Even guys like let's say a Ric Smits, Kevin Willis, Bill Laimbeer would translate just fine in today's NBA. Centers now aren't your prototypical center per say. They stretch the floor, not great at any 1 thing, lack post moves, etc. I do think there is a young wave of kids coming in however like this last draft and few years before it that by the time they are done can compare to what your talking about. But it's all debatable I guess.

How would you suggest 2k should rate and evaluate todays big man? To make sure ratings are comparable to all positions?
I think he's saying just purely depth. It obviously isn't close to the days of Shaq, Hakeem, Ewing, etc.

But right now: Howard, Gasol, Noah, Noel, Towns, Gortat, Len, Adams, Dieng, Gobert, Okafor, Gasol, Horford, Chandler, Plumlee, Bogut, Drummond, Valanciunas, Vucevic, Cousins, etc.

There are a lot of quality centers right now.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:14 PM   #69
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoDC
Or, as they reworked ratings by attribute, did they also try to benchmark past all time PER ratings against the game's OVR ratings, and as a result, try to rework the way they computed OVR? That is, did the OVR formula under the hood change this year in how it weights attributes by position? If so, why, and based on what?

I think any attempt to get OVR to align with PER is a flawed enterprise. PER rewards chuckers and doesn't factor in IQ, decision making, non-box-score oriented defense, and anything that isn't countable as a simple stat. It's basically just slightly more advanced box-score reading.

I mean for example, going you'd think a 13 PER should equate to a low 70's OVR, and a 16 PER should be around 77.

I'm pretty sure Draymond Green deserves more than a 77, and the Finals MVP more than a 72.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:30 PM   #70
Pro

Scvllp's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauer4MVP
I think he's saying just purely depth. It obviously isn't close to the days of Shaq, Hakeem, Ewing, etc.

But right now: Howard, Gasol, Noah, Noel, Towns, Gortat, Len, Adams, Dieng, Gobert, Okafor, Gasol, Horford, Chandler, Plumlee, Bogut, Drummond, Valanciunas, Vucevic, Cousins, etc.

How could you not even list Davis?
Old 09-09-2015, 09:40 PM   #71
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scvllp
How could you not even list Davis?
Lol wow. I was probably thinking of him at the 4 because of Asik, but I guess if I list Noel and Okafor, he should be on there as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2015, 10:00 PM   #72
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauer4MVP

I knew what he meant hence my response. He said today's 15-20 were better than yester years 10-15. Obviously the centers of Ewing, Akeem, etc blow today's out of the water. But everybody had a center back then and almost everyone could play with their back to the basket. But I don't want to derail thread.

Last edited by vannwolfhawk; 09-09-2015 at 11:17 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »