Home

Why is this a Bad Shot? (Video Inside)

This is a discussion on Why is this a Bad Shot? (Video Inside) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2015, 05:27 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Why is this a Bad Shot? (Video Inside)

As I have said in another thread, it is not SCORING that is bothering me. I don't want to hit every shot or shoot 90% from the field. It is HOW I am hitting my shots (by taking ridiculously wide open ones and forcing layups).

Also, I am not saying I want to hit the shot in the video. I just want to know why it is being considered a D to F rated shot with losing teammate grade for "bad shot selection".

As you will see in the clip below, we are on the break and Caldwell-Pope is out of position. I take a pass in motion and set myself for a beautiful pull up J. He is clearly late to get to me, doesn't even have a chance to put his hands up to contest--yet the game acts as if I had no space. This is the biggest frustrating change from last year as it is impossible to shoot pick pocket shots, or late contested shots.

https://youtu.be/AYLYbtoYfHU

P.S. The difficulty is HOF. I love most of the changes this year. But this is the only thing I am adamant about. It needs addressing as defenders not closing in fast enough should not be rewarded. It might just be a bug though because the CPU, including teammates, has no problem landing late contested or pocket jumpers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2015, 05:33 PM   #2
Pro

XxSpiritHunterX's Arena

Re: Why is this a Bad Shot? (Video Inside)

I don't think it was a bad shot per say, but it could've been a better shot or at least a slowed down play. Don't think it is a bug either, but I digress.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:34 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 1

I'd give it a D just because you took a step within the 3 point line. Inefficient basketball right there.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:44 PM   #4
Rookie

Not sure how the shot grades work but a deep 2 pointer is one of the worst shots u can take in basketball.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2015, 05:45 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauer4MVP
I'd give it a D just because you took a step within the 3 point line. Inefficient basketball right there.
Lol, I'm hoping that was a joke?

I take plenty of fast break threes when I have my feet planted. But if you watch any NBA shooter, if he's on a break and get's a pass in motion and his defender is within a few feet, he's taking the pull up mid to ensure an open shot. No great shooter is going to stop to take a step back to the three point line so his defender can catch up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxSpiritHunterX
I don't think it was a bad shot per say, but it could've been a better shot or at least a slowed down play. Don't think it is a bug either, but I digress.
Why would I slow down a fast break when I have an open shot and the defense is out of position? I slow down the break plenty of times when there is no one open, but in this situation, the defender was late and I had an open shot. Nevertheless, I agree with you on the first part. Fine, give me the D for not having badges or a 70 mid rating. But don't call it a "bad shot selection". Also, this doesn't just happen from the deep mid range. It happens all over. Even if I have my feet planted for a three or a closer mid and he get's there late and doesn't contest--it's still considered a bad shot according to the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pack4life69
Not sure how the shot grades work but a deep 2 pointer is one of the worst shots u can take in basketball.

Correction: It's one of the tougher shots in basketball. No one is going to call an open long mid a bad shot.

Last edited by Crookid; 09-28-2015 at 05:49 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2015, 05:55 PM   #6
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookid
Correction: It's one of the tougher shots in basketball. No one is going to call an open long mid a bad shot.
This is beside the point - or maybe it isn't because it's probably why the 2K team assigned those kind of shots a D/F - but to correct your correction: only those that are falling behind understanding efficiency would not call that a bad shot.

It is the worst shot you can take in the NBA outside of a defended long two.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 09-28-2015, 06:05 PM   #7
Rookie

Short two-point shots are made at a significantly higher rate, and though three-point attempts are successful at a lesser clip, the 50 percent increase in point value overcomes the slight percentage dip.

This is a huge part of what's occurring in the league now and its all due to advanced metrics/stats. This is why teams are being more like Houston and jacking up threes at an all-time rate.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:08 PM   #8
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

If I was a basketball coach and my player took that shot, we're having a conversation.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »