Home

If you play on HOF, the game is NOT broken

This is a discussion on If you play on HOF, the game is NOT broken within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-17-2015, 03:30 PM   #25
MVP

Taer's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: If you play on HOF, the game is NOT broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManCometh
The "realistic " argument went out the window once u acknowledge the devs purposedly programmed the game in a unrealistic manner in favor of the CPU. Now u want to talk to him about using pick N roll? So what if he did it 325 times a game. It's not realistic anyway once the game is programmed in that manner. Thats why I think it's silly for ppl to accept that. Why not challenge 2k to make a better and more "realistic" game in-tuned with the difficulty, instead of standing up for them like u work for them or trying to get a job with 2k. U guys agree with everything they do and say just because they monitor the site? Look, so what. With all due respect to them because they are the best indeed, but it's ok to challenge these guys to makle a better product as well. Stand on ur own 2 feet dude. U don't have to suck up to anybody. The best in anything can have imperfections still.
He's not sucking up to anyone. This isn't about agreeing with or challenging the developers. This is about people in the community using outdated and/or false information to come up with wrong conclusions and then demanding changes based on that false, and/or outdated information.

2K tunes the NBA experience to be targeted at the SS/Sim level. This is the reality we all must play in. It is time for everyone to understand and accept this fact.

Playing at the HoF level means you are accepting a "non-sim" experience. This may change in the future but for 2K16 it is what it is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2015, 03:32 PM   #26
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26
If you play on HOF, the game is NOT broken

Just played my first game against the CPU on HOF this year, I saw a few things out of the ordinary, but nothing too extreme. I was the Cavs facing the CPU Lakers

Could only get a half in before my son woke up screaming his head off.

There was some definite BS by the CPU, but you definitely expect it on HOF. The score was actually 57-56 at halftime but of course, Kobe comes out and makes 2 straight contested 3's, but again, it's HOF.

I wish I could have finished the whole game because tbh, it was sort of fun. The ai definitely abuses the paint sometime, but I was able to play some surprisingly good physical defense.

It's definitely not a difficulty level I'll always play on, but if you need training to get better at the game, this is the mode to play on. If you're not very good yet, you'll get your *** kicked over and over again but you'll eventually get better.

Again, imo this level doesn't offer a realistic game of basketball, but it sure as hell gave me a nice challenge. I was on my toes the whole time.

Also, thanks Taer. I'm glad someone else finally gets it. I'm trying to let the community know what this level is really all about, so they're not listening to the people crying "broken" and "arcade". If you wanna play on this mode, this is what you get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2015, 03:45 PM   #27
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Ticket
But that's not the way HOF has worked in the past hence the many people complaining, in the past the defense was stronger and reduce open looks, the game didn't just significantly lower the probability of making them.

This isn't just a problem with HOF, the the disparity between points in the paint and points off of jumpers is a problem but not one that affects the CPU, the imbalance is just more magnified on HOF, in my current MyLeague (on superstar) my team is leading the league in pts in the paint and we've nearly doubled up the team just below us in the category, no one can tell me there isn't a huge difficulty difference between getting buckets inside and outside, one is unrealistically hard and the other is unrealistically easy.
Actually, that is exactly how HOF worked in the past. The better defense was from attribute boosts to defensive intelligence and athleticism. It was not because the unit on the floor played like a better coached, smarter team. This is all established.

Why do you think they've been concentrating development resources on building better CPU AI across the board than they've ever done before? Because they already had it, as you seem to suggest?

No. Sorry, but your assumptions are wrong.

HOF may be too uneven this year in how the defense gives the user gameplay holes to exploit, but the design approach behind what has always made HOF most challenging has not regressed. In fact, it's got the additional CPU AI present this year on SS but since that's already maxed out at SS, the extra boost comes from ratings changes.

Last edited by LorenzoDC; 10-17-2015 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-17-2015, 03:57 PM   #28
Pro

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoDC
The design intent of the game is to make players play like themselves, in a balanced game play experience, at SS sim and AS sim. The difference between the two is SS sim gets a bit more of the CPU artificial intelligence and adaptation.

So, for example, on defense, the CPU will be more aware and react to your offensive action more quickly. As a result, your shot or play making windows will be narrower and so you will have less time to read what's happening and make decisions. Your margin for error is less. This is not accomplished with ratings or attribute boosts but with more complete and quicker acting offensive and defensive AI.

Using default sliders will make the game a little more arcade like, and less sim. Using All Star or Super Star sim settings should give you what you are after. That said, just because the designers targeted and tested the game to be most sim and realistic on those settings, it doesn't mean they got it all perfect out of the box. You or others in the community may find that making a slider tweak here or there improves the game.

I've done custom sliders for years, and this is the first year where I am really taking my time to play and understand the game tuning out of the box before concluding I need to do much with sliders. I may go there, but they did a much better job this year than in previous years in approximating real sim game play on AS sim and SS sim.

So, depending on your skill level, I would start with one of those and play enough games to get a good sample, against enough teams (who really do play differently this year). Then, once you have a feel for how your chosen level fits with your skill level, start checking out the slider sub forums for ideas on any tweaks you may want to try.
Okay bet so in essence on HOF, the user has a shorter window to respond to the adjustements made by the cpu for example, the cpu will respond quicker to a close out on HOF as oppossed to rookie. So which difficulty has no artifical boast?

My thing is there are some sliders that can be adjusted in thr rosters and on the sliders, for example 3pt shooting, steal, block, etc... There there are those that are not like layup defense strenght (release). If you put on simulation sliders the only adjustments not made are the tendencies and non shooting attributes. Like if close shot rating slider goes down to 40, so does that mean Chris Paul close shot rating goes down 10 points? If thats true then that will not be his acurate rating while playing the game.

I mention this because on last gen there was a program called reditor in where you could edit just about everything in the game. One thing i noticed while using the program was the rating caps. For example blocking had a cap of 110. So if AD blocking is a 99 and greg monroe is a 85 but HOF boast are 20 for blocking then the difference between AD and Monroe becomes very minimal on HOF. I dont mind that too much but i do want to play a game in where there are no rating boast just pure true basketball in where you can really tell the difference between players.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2015, 04:00 PM   #29
MVP

Taer's Arena

OVR: 7

The game is tuned for SS/Sim ... the devs recommend starting on AS/SS. The difference is AS level gives you a larger window to exploit everything.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:01 PM   #30
Banned

OVR: 0

People really need to understand there is a difference from, 'how it should be' and, 'how it is.'

Yes. HOF should be the most challenging and fair representation of 2k basketball...but its not.

I don't understand why people need to prove themselves against the AI. Keep banging your head into a brick wall expecting this to be something its not.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2015, 04:13 PM   #31
Pro

OVR: 26

I think it's good if that's the case. Keep in mind this is a video game. Past 2Ks I felt like HOF wasn't really different from Superstar and it made the game get old fast because I knew everything the CPU would do, I had the animations memorized and it was nearly impossible for me to lose even playing with worse teams. I'd like to get a perfect sim experience on maybe All-Star or Superstar and have the higher difficulties represent a challenge and lower make it easier for beginners.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2015, 04:17 PM   #32
NBA Ratings Wizard

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by iam31yearsold
Yes. HOF should be the most challenging and fair representation of 2k basketball...but its not.
I completely disagree. Challenging? Yes. Fair? Not really. HOF should be cheating against you, it should hold all the cards. It's meant for those who want a challenge beyond the normal parameters of the game. That's how difficulty works not only in sports games, but video games in general, since their inception. There is no "make the AI smarter" dial, it simply does not work that way. Only "make this character run faster" or "make this guy shoot better" or "make this character have a wider area of awareness" or "reduce this time limit by a certain percentage".

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »