Home

NBA 2K16 Freelance Info: OS Community "Wiki"

This is a discussion on NBA 2K16 Freelance Info: OS Community "Wiki" within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-26-2015, 02:54 PM   #9
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: NBA 2K16 Freelance Info: OS Community "Wiki"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlinsnate
So this may be a dumb question, but how do you set these free lance offenses? Or is it something the game just "freelances" as you dribble into certain positions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are default freelance systems loaded for each team, though you cannot view them in game.

Here's how to access the freelance offenses and actions to select what you want:

Old 10-26-2015, 03:49 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 1

what is a good freelance set for the sac kings?
Old 10-26-2015, 04:37 PM   #11
Pro

ThatMichiganFan's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by loso_34
what is a good freelance set for the sac kings?
I think the Princeton Low offense would work well for Sacramento. It focuses on feeding the big man in the post, making Cousins the focal point of the offense.

If you are using Rudy Gay at PF, then I would use the 4-out 1-in Freelance with Space the Floor. This would give Gay plenty of space to iso/attack from the perimeter, and would provide good spacing for Cousins to go to work down low.

2K18 Sliders:https://forums.operationsports.com/f...n-sliders.html
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2015, 05:36 PM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiyen
Here's a video that will explain it for you. I hope this helps.

https://youtu.be/CzcJ6jDb1Do

Sent from my SM-G900T1 using Tapatalk

That was very helpful, thanks!!

Old 10-26-2015, 06:28 PM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlinsnate
That was very helpful, thanks!!

No problem

Old 10-26-2015, 06:57 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32MJ32
I like it. An excuse to wax lyrical about my favourite offense:

Freelance Offense

Corner

Preferred Action (Motion Cuts, Freelance, Space the Floor)

Motion Cuts

Freelance Focus

I leave the POE on "Neutral." However, if you're asking what the focus is of the offense is, I'd summarise it as:

- Moving the ball without dribbling
- Creating shots - from many areas of the floor - without a heavy reliance on screen and roll
- Using all 5 players as "playmakers," rather than just the point guard
- Reading and reacting to the way the defense is playing

Freelance Strengths

- Starting positions are smartly spaced - wing, elbow, corner, elbow, corner. If there's a mismatch, you can go right to a spot and work it before the D can switch
- Off-ball screening and movement
- "Read and react" cutting - if a guy is overplayed, he will go back door
- Multiple options from the initial entry pass all the way through to the bottom of the shotclock
- Most actions aim to create an open 3 or layup - exactly what "modern" NBA offense is geared towards

Freelance Weaknesses

- If you're unable to "spring" a cutter for an open shot, you can eat a lot of shotclock passing it around and going nowhere
- On the base action that is run most regularly, multiple players can pile up at the 3 point line directly above the basket.
- There's little room for off the bounce flair. If you like to ISO or run a lot of P and R, look elsewhere

Best Personnel Fit

5: You want an Al Horford/Tim Duncan/Gasol (either)/Towns type. Ability to pass it, hit midrange shots and go into a post move if the right match up is available. A "Brick Wall" badge is a nice to have, given all the screening these guys do.

4: As per above, as the 4 and 5 are effectively interchangeable. Julius Randle is a nice fit when he grows up. Given the amount of catches they'll be getting at the elbow, going small with Melo or KD or Jabari can be money, too.

3: This guy needs to be a good or great shooter while stationary and on the move. 3's mostly but midrange also helpful. There's no room for a Tony Allen or MKG here. Good Offensive Awareness to make sharp cuts, too. Obviously, if you can get Durant, he's the best guy available - let's be honest, he would flourish in any system.

The plus side is that you don't need to worry about ballhandling and shot creation. Kawhi, Danny Green, Khris Middleton or DeMarre Carroll types. If you're open, shoot it and make it. If you're not, pass it.

2: Much like the 4 and 5, the 2 and 3 are the same - they swap roles depending on which side of the floor you choose to run the actions on. I've had Brad Beal in this spot and it's borderline unfair - he's just terrific.

1: This is interesting. Despite my repeated claims above that ballhandling is not a major part of this system, I've run Rose here and it was really something. In the base set, the 1 often comes out of the corner and takes a hand off from the 4/5 at the elbow with a head of steam. Rose, with his insane quickness, could really get some separation as he came around the bend. Then he was able to lower his shoulder and get to the basket.

In truth, you want a knockdown shooter - moving around off-ball screens - more than anything. Great playmaking is not a must have, nor is the ability to work off the dribble. Kyle Lowry - in a good year - comes to mind. Brandon Knight.

Given the playmaking is spread around, you can get by with a makeshift PG, too, much like Phil Jackson like to use in the Triangle. Find yourself a 2 - with range - who can guard 1's and you're good to go. Oladipo. Shumpert. Avery Bradley.

Favorite Actions/Branches

The base set. You trigger this by dribbling or passing to a wing. On that side, the corner and wing will be filled by the 1, 2 or 3. The elbow will be filled by the 4 or 5.

On the weakside, the 1, 2 or 3 not involved in the strong side starts in the corner and the other big is on the elbow.

The best way to kick off multiple options is to throw it from the strong side wing into the strong side elbow/high post. If you want to use this system, get familiar with this, first and foremost.

My personal favourite is to run multiple sets where the 1/2/3 in the strong side corner comes to the top for a hand off. Eventually, the AI starts to overplay and you can hit him on a back cut with a pass from the big at the elbow. I get 8-12 easy points every game.
Playing as the Warriors, with a ton of shooters, I am loving this offense!

I am now using a steady dose of swing, corner and 4 out 1 in. My offense is getting a lot better, cannot wait to learn more about the other offenses from this thread.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:17 PM   #15
Rookie

Roonster's Arena

Do you have to set it during every game? Or is it already defaulted? Thanks guys
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2015, 08:23 PM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonster
Do you have to set it during every game? Or is it already defaulted? Thanks guys
Each team has a default one set for them (flow, swing, pace, triangle just to name a few). For instance the Knicks have the triangle offense as their default but if you wanted to change the Knicks offense to the swing you need to set that at the beginning of the game or actually anytime during the game you can change it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »