Home

Sim, is it even real anymore?

This is a discussion on Sim, is it even real anymore? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-19-2015, 08:24 AM   #17
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Sim, is it even real anymore?

I don't view sim style gameplay as having PIP rules or fastbreaking rules. That's not SIM to me. SIM is playing with the mindset of trying to represent the style of the team you're playing with. If you leave the paint open all day I will score 100 pip and that will be tottaly sim on my part.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:42 AM   #18
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOPARADIGM
There's already a huge thread about this, but for the record I completely disagree.

Quick example, if I'm manning the PG, and the PG passes off to the C beyond the arc, it's WAY more imperative to me as a defender to stay with the PG than it is to switch off and man the C. Like, not even close. Sorry.
Then ur cheese... You would probably be pissed if you stayed as the passer and didnt swtich to the pass recipient... And thanks for telling me, i wasnt aware that their could be another thread about this huge topic
Old 11-19-2015, 08:45 AM   #19
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataman5
That's why in my Online League; following the motto 'as the game evolves players should evolve, too. '
I've deducted rules as the game evolves and now that the coaches know that they have the tools and they need to make use of them on both side of the floor in a 48 mn game to be Nba and basketball like.

Having set rules like %50 pip is just saying that you don't need to defend let the rules defend for you or same as fastbreak rules or any other stuff. Basketball is a game of defense/offense so you should evolve yourself on both ends.

On 48mn HOF/SIM everyone knows that you need to be creative and non-repetitive to be succesful so why have rules??

That's the motto in my online league since 2k13.

Sim is about being competitive w/o being repetitive. Basketball is how it is.

Being a gentleman and a good competitor is more important than labeling something as sim bcs sim in real life is about variaties. Rules don't have varieties.

Sim definition and comprehension should definitely evolve as we and the game evolve. 🏻

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you fo rthe intelligent answer. You are abosultely right. but most players dont evolve. There is so much in this game its beautiful, but the average 2K player barely utilizes them
Old 11-19-2015, 08:53 AM   #20
MVP

dwayne12345's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMurphys_Law
Then ur cheese... You would probably be pissed if you stayed as the passer and didnt swtich to the pass recipient... And thanks for telling me, i wasnt aware that their could be another thread about this huge topic
That is not cheese. If Nerlens Noel Dwight Howard or Joakim Noah get a pass at the 3 point line you can bet your bottom dollar they will have a wide open look because everyone will know the actual play will be developing away from the ball.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:56 AM   #21
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOPARADIGM
There's already a huge thread about this, but for the record I completely disagree.

Quick example, if I'm manning the PG, and the PG passes off to the C beyond the arc, it's WAY more imperative to me as a defender to stay with the PG than it is to switch off and man the C. Like, not even close. Sorry.
I'm going to pick on this comment for a moment. Why is it more imperative to stay with the PG? Help us understand your thinking.

For me, I stay on the active human controlled player as much as possible. In your example, I would switch off to the defending C, and wouldn't have thought twice about it. I might change my approach if it was a pick and roll situation where I have to decide who's the biggest threat at that moment in time. However, with your example and in my mind, you're just chasing around the PG for whatever reason.

As a side note, I'm not one of those people who advocate for on the ball defense 100% of the time. I believe some switching is necessary. I think my OTB defense is slightly above 80% for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-19-2015, 12:33 PM   #22
MVP

HowDareI's Arena

Sim, to me, has always been an approach to the game.

It means I'm running plays when my offense is stagnant, but fastbreaking when I see the defense is slow to get back.
It means doubling a player who's hot, or trapping a man in a bad spot.

But it also means I'm holding myself and my opponent responsible to not cheese eachother. I play enough online to know the things people do that exploit certain weaknesses the game has and can't fairly combat.

It never means that I'm limiting how I play, due to someone else's inabilities to combat real basketball tactics. If I score 100 in the paint because my post player is dominating, and I see no doubles at all...that's not on me.

-Allen Iverson
Old 11-19-2015, 01:10 PM   #23
Banned

bo.jangles344's Arena

Especially here, i feel like "sim" is a word thrown around for players to feel better about themselves. It's not "sim" to expect the other player not to use every advantage they have on you. That's the idea of offense, taking what the defense gives you. This game stops being sim when there's not a way to take something away from the offense. If i know someone is doing something, i should be able to anticipate and take it away. Nothing should be guaranteed on offense.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:59 PM   #24
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo.jangles344
Especially here, i feel like "sim" is a word thrown around for players to feel better about themselves. It's not "sim" to expect the other player not to use every advantage they have on you. That's the idea of offense, taking what the defense gives you. This game stops being sim when there's not a way to take something away from the offense. If i know someone is doing something, i should be able to anticipate and take it away. Nothing should be guaranteed on offense.
And that's where it gets hairy....there's a fine line between taking what the defense gives versus exploiting bad programming. Your opponent can adjust to situations. For example, I can adjust to you running a play where your best shooter breaks loose constantly due to a double screen in the paint. To me, that's on your opponent to recognize the playcalling and make the necessary adjustments. However, if you're constantly running the same pick and roll at the top of the wing to score, then you're no longer beating your opponent with basketball knowledge. As a opponent, I have to recognize where the game programming is "failing", then I adjust my tactic to beat the failing which indirectly beats the play.

The sim mindset says, I ran the pick and roll play, because it was a good option at the time. A "non-sim" mindset says, I ran the pick and roll play, because it's an easy two points, and it'll be a while before you figure out how to beat it. Let's be real...the pick and roll play is not that hard to identify.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »