Home

Playing Defense

This is a discussion on Playing Defense within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-15-2016, 08:57 PM   #33
Rookie

info0's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Playing Defense

Ok, so I was experimenting, playing HoF on default sliders (those can make HUGE difference when you put them to Sim).

And to be fair, I hold my own vs HoF on defaults. Sure I will lose some games, but win ~75% of games. Now when you put sliders to Sim, whole game feels like a huge CHEAT in AI favor. I swear. While on default game is FUN and offers challenge, on Sim it becomes frustrating.

Also will mention this, people are over estimating AI. It's not smarter than human and it will never be. Thus leaving most Defensive settings on Auto won't really do you harm vs AI.

It has came back to me, how I was successful in prior games (vs AI not humans online!). Well, in those, I watched YouTube videos from best defensive players in the World (LT Shookya for example ). When I applied his tactics to the game, I struggled. I won't negate the fact his settings probably helped a lot of people, but didn't click for me. There I said to myself, why not try Auto logic. You know what? It worked.

Kept at Auto since then. On 2k15 only bared in mind to change POE aka Points of Emphasis as those really DO make difference and in Controller settings, changing Defensive assist strength (surprisingly I play best on 0/0 for both :P).

Now I won't negate this thread. It's beneficial for knowledge and will definitely HELP when you go online vs other humans. There I find those not a necessity but a MUST BE CHANGED. For individual players and knowing patterns (ie. how you would play with said team usually helps, understanding how someone else might play ).

Right now, I decided to go with Auto vs HoF AI for most part, but change Hedge, Hedge (Center) and Pre-Rotate.

Seems to work.

However, I did change Coach settings to ALL manual, so he won't switch.

Ah and I really do believe Man-to-Man is great, but when you nail 2-3 Zone, you might become unstoappable XD.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:09 PM   #34
Pro

JoFri's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by info0
And to be fair, I hold my own vs HoF on defaults. Sure I will lose some games, but win ~75% of games. Now when you put sliders to Sim, whole game feels like a huge CHEAT in AI favor. I swear. While on default game is FUN and offers challenge, on Sim it becomes frustrating.

Also will mention this, people are over estimating AI. It's not smarter than human and it will never be. Thus leaving most Defensive settings on Auto won't really do you harm vs AI.

i havent tried HOF on default. i may try that after i finish off the raptors and see if i can get to the Finals.
i've done enough testing and confident to say leaving auto does not help me playing decent on-ball in sim sliders.
Old 01-16-2016, 02:49 AM   #35
Pro

JoFri's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPerfect_CJ
I'm the Lakers in offline MyLeague. I play on pro. EVERY team just drives on me like crazy. I'm going to try the "protect the paint" in POE, next.
https://youtu.be/QZUcvofuWMw
Played the Lakers in PNO offline using 'Protect The Paint".
No doubt Kobe is slower on his feet, he has Roy Hibbert to back him up. I'm sure you have fun playing D with the Lakers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-16-2016, 03:18 AM   #36
Pro

JoFri's Arena

Defending Chris Bosh is never easy in NBA 2K16. He has excellent range, he can shoot, quick and a solid post player. Sometimes u can't just stop him alone.

I was playing against the Miami Heat and led in the final quarter. Then AI Heat changed their offense focus to Chris Bosh in the last 5 minutes. I had Anthony Bennett on him for a few possessions, and he struggled. The AI then switched James Johnson on him (I left the auto AI Coaching ON). 6'8 Forward against 6'11 Forward/Center, not too bad.

https://youtu.be/o7hcKunUovE
https://youtu.be/MYp0GIYLdS4
Old 01-16-2016, 02:29 PM   #37
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OVR: 2
Playing Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoFri
i havent tried HOF on default. i may try that after i finish off the raptors and see if i can get to the Finals.
i've done enough testing and confident to say leaving auto does not help me playing decent on-ball in sim sliders.

I can beat the HOF CPU on sim sliders not changing any defensive setting playing on ball.

I set the POEs to manual and leave them that way the entire game.

The key to playing on all auto is scoring on offense.

If you can score on offense and stay in front of the ball on defense then you don't have to worry about settings vs the CPU or other people.

When you can't score on offense is when the all auto settings approach struggles and your guys really tend to break down on defense more because of it.

Good luck on your championship run!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.

Last edited by Coach2K; 01-16-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:55 PM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 3

here I am again, thanks to your suggestions now I can defend the perimeter in a decent way, i have more success in slowing down their transictions and defending the pick and roll, but now they are killing me in the paint. The problem is that it's too easy to score under the basket, there is no contact, even when I have 3 defenders with their hands up they score most of the time. What do you do to create contact under the rim? how can i make their shots more difficult defending the post? vertical contest sometimes works well but i'd like to have a more physical game in the paint, tried also sedtting POE on protect the paint and physical defense with same poor results
Old 01-16-2016, 08:45 PM   #39
Pro

JoFri's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldkevin
What do you do to create contact under the rim? how can i make their shots more difficult defending the post? vertical contest sometimes works well but i'd like to have a more physical game in the paint, tried also sedtting POE on protect the paint and physical defense with same poor results
holding the left trigger will suck u to the post player. moving the left stick towards the post player help u stop his back movement. u can try holding turbo too and see if it gives u more physical contact animations. more than often, u'll be whistled for foul.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:55 AM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 3

probably i have found the solution to what is my problem, and I found it by chance in this thread http://www.operationsports.com/forum...p-defense.html
double teams are set to manual by default, right now I'm trying to play a game with double teams on auto and actually i can see a substantial difference, now my help defense is much reactive, my teammates are ready to double under the rim making life more difficult for my opponents..... I really hope this is the solution . Waiting for your feedbacks.....

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »