Home

How to deal with 2K comebacks, "rubber-banding", and crazy stuffs (video proof)...

This is a discussion on How to deal with 2K comebacks, "rubber-banding", and crazy stuffs (video proof)... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-19-2016, 11:37 AM   #25
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: How to deal with 2K comebacks, "rubber-banding", and crazy stuffs (video proof)..

Videos are not mine, i was lazy making them on my own but this BS happens me a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABtod9k9bLY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn_yAlo0BF0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOe1OWDYUb8

Especially number 1 and 3 happen me few times but nevermind, just wanted to give some feedback

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkHI1hGvWRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v6JUzxWoGw
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2016, 01:10 PM   #26
WTF
MVP

WTF's Arena

OVR: 50
Re: How to deal with 2K comebacks, "rubber-banding", and crazy stuffs (video proof)..

Can you get past 2k chopping off the fingers of your defensive player, to avoid getting the cpus shot blocked? There are definitely scripted moments, or else the game wouldn't chop off your fingers to allow a basket. Or the ball wouldn't warp through chests, heads, etc to allow a score. It doesn't happen every play, or every quarter, but there are enough times in a game that it rears it's ugly head.

I admire the effort, but some of these things HAVE to get fixed. I'm an offline only player, and I can and will beat the cpu, even with their cheesy tactics, but when it happens enough that you "know" stuff is going to happen, and proceed to watch the BS happen, then things need to change.

It's incredibly frustrating to be close to a great game, only to have a small portion of the game completely undue the rest of the work. Dedicate the time of the development stage for 2k15 to track down this code, and come up with a better way to deal with it.

They're oh so close, but have to get rid of these things. I believe 2k17 will be stellar.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:41 PM   #27
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyClaxton
Videos are not mine, i was lazy making them on my own but this BS happens me a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABtod9k9bLY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn_yAlo0BF0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOe1OWDYUb8

Especially number 1 and 3 happen me few times but nevermind, just wanted to give some feedback
I see number 1 several times a game too. But those are glitches, and while they look weird they won't change anything. The expected outcome is already set, you ARE supposed to keep that ball alive, much like the result of a shot is determined the moment, or even before you press the button (hence the rim-bouncing nonsense, just to invoke the ooooh-so-dramatic but in no way random). It's just the graphics engine that struggles to create a sensible animation out of it.

Since you can use none of your actual motor skills to keep you inside the line, I'd rather have that help than running out of bounds 5 times a minute. You also see that in the corner, you almost deliberately have to step out of bounds, and I for one are happy about that with all the weighting and "foot planting".
Old 02-19-2016, 02:05 PM   #28
MVP

nova91's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO6IX
I get a lot of blowouts. If I lose a lead it's because I actually use my bench, my opponent gets cheap points in transition, or I make mental mistakes. Using timeouts and knowing how to score in the halfcourt helps you keep leads. In 2K15 I knew that a 15 point game would end up tied by the end of the 3rd quarter whether I was leading or trailing.

Now if you want to talk about MyCareer then "rubber banding" and all that crap happens.
There is definitely a rubberband or comeback element in MC. It happens some times while you're on the floor but it mainly happens during the little bit of a rest the coach decides to give you.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:37 PM   #29
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchyroll_51
There's no "rubber banding" or "scripted" AI code to make you lose. However, there are crazy stuffs that happen ocassionally. Sometimes these things are so insane we can't properly prepare for them, because you don't expect it to happen. In the video below you can see examples of such crazy 2K things. At the same time, I will show you that with enough dedication on both ends you can still consistently pull out wins. The crazy stuff just don't happen enough to cause you a game if you game-plan hard enough

Sam Pham

Anybody else have any revelatory videos on how to "overcome" with the Warriors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2016, 06:44 PM   #30
MVP

UnbelievablyRAW's Arena

OVR: 5

I mean, there is an artificial boost 2k gives teams when they start a run (score 2-3 baskets in a row) and an artificial downgrade to the other team. Since like 2k13 you could open the substitution menu and actually see the green arrows showing what ratings are being boosted (don't know if that's still shown in this game) because the team has momentum.

Its probably an attempt to simulate the mental beat down people in real life experience when they miss a couple of possessions in a row and the other team scores and the crowd starts cheering. Thats fine and dandy in concept, but in a competitive mode, having your guys have a brief dip in ratings causing them to miss wide open shots or stop playing defence while the other team is throwing up garbage and scoring is maddening. Couple that with the fact that most bad players are usually using the Thunder, Cavs or Warriors every match (not saying you suck if you use them, just that casual players don't use any other team) and if the guy starts a quick run now Lebron/KD/Westbrook can rush the basket and start scoring contested layups more frequently.

Like Lo6ix said, this usually happens when you sub your bench in (because most guys play their starters the whole game) so they can get a few quick buckets then all of a sudden they never miss. Obviously if you don't allow runs or call timeouts as soon as the guy gets an easy basket (notice how the CPU does that in MyCareer? You literally score 1 basket to stop a run and the CPU calls a timeout to stop any momentum boost lol) it won't happen, but there will always be lapses, and that allows people a chance to come back even with bad offense
Old 02-19-2016, 08:17 PM   #31
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
I laugh at people saying the AI hasn't improved hahaha.

You know what the problem is. People expect the CPU to be perfect. And that can't be the case. You have to make holes for both users to have a chance to win.

But just to repeat again. The AI has come a long way. A long way....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I think we would be unfair to say that this isn't the greatest achievement in terms of sports video-games. It is, and it's the best currently available.

However, given the landscape ie. The true masterpieces such as Witcher 3 ... , we can look at what they've done and what they do in two different lights:

1. They are, and are going to continue to do great things. If we provide our feedback, we will get closer to true, simulation NBA basketball. It will be a fun and great experience.

2. Despite that they've come so far, they are clearly doing planned obsolence. What they truly are capable of is three years ahead of what they put out, and if they put all of their efforts into one copy, their ability to sell next year's copy is greatly diminished. They 'purposefully' put problems and half-stops in this year's game to be fixed for next year.

(there's no reason that fixes for illegal screens and putback ai that were in 2k15 patches, not to be in the base 2k16 game)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2016, 11:17 PM   #32
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbelievablyRAW
I mean, there is an artificial boost 2k gives teams when they start a run (score 2-3 baskets in a row) and an artificial downgrade to the other team. Since like 2k13 you could open the substitution menu and actually see the green arrows showing what ratings are being boosted (don't know if that's still shown in this game) because the team has momentum.

Its probably an attempt to simulate the mental beat down people in real life experience when they miss a couple of possessions in a row and the other team scores and the crowd starts cheering. Thats fine and dandy in concept, but in a competitive mode, having your guys have a brief dip in ratings causing them to miss wide open shots or stop playing defence while the other team is throwing up garbage and scoring is maddening. Couple that with the fact that most bad players are usually using the Thunder, Cavs or Warriors every match (not saying you suck if you use them, just that casual players don't use any other team) and if the guy starts a quick run now Lebron/KD/Westbrook can rush the basket and start scoring contested layups more frequently.

Like Lo6ix said, this usually happens when you sub your bench in (because most guys play their starters the whole game) so they can get a few quick buckets then all of a sudden they never miss. Obviously if you don't allow runs or call timeouts as soon as the guy gets an easy basket (notice how the CPU does that in MyCareer? You literally score 1 basket to stop a run and the CPU calls a timeout to stop any momentum boost lol) it won't happen, but there will always be lapses, and that allows people a chance to come back even with bad offense
The up and down ratings definitely show the slumps and runs. Like in 1 game over the weekend, one of my players was shooting free-throws at a 90 rating. When their run started and he went to the free-throw line, it said 78 rating. So it may not have a literal comeback mode, but the game does alter-rating artificially that either is due to poor play or produces poor play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »