Home

I don't understand how they have a generic Shaq on all the classic teams?

This is a discussion on I don't understand how they have a generic Shaq on all the classic teams? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-02-2016, 10:38 PM   #25
MVP

Phreezy P's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: I don't understand how they have a generic Shaq on all the classic teams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackball
Hey, didn't 2K hire Jaosming precisely BECAUSE his mod work was so good?

What gives?
Aaaand they put him in charge of 2KTV.

You can't make this stuff up.

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2016, 11:37 PM   #26
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

I'm not entirely sure why they can't bring in a few of the greats and face scan them, then edit them from there. Magic Johnson barely looks any different than he did in the early 90s outside of a few lbs on his face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maligx
Those look amazing, 2k artists must be 5 year olds.
Well they have a lot more to do with the game than just mod the faces of all-time players, tbh. Probably took these modders an entire few days to edit some of these faces. If the 2k artists did that for each classic player they'd never finish.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:17 AM   #27
MVP

daveberg's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWilliam
2K11 - Jordan Challenge. Legends were good. Jordan in particular.

2K12 - Greatest Mode. Legends looked good.

2k13 - Dream Team announced. Looked good.

Now move onto next gen and things like Park, My Career, #bethestory etc. etc. become the focus...... Online has taken over and as a result the legends no longer appear to matter as much.

So essentially NBA 2K has gone online. It's become self aware. Its basically the Skynet of sports gaming and the legends represent mankind....

Too dramatic?
Nope. You hit the nail right on the head.

The fantasy modes and online portion of the game seems to take precedence over the other sections of the game.

2k11, 12 & 13 were the last games that actually did the legends any service.

That said, 2k were amazing enough to keep adding teams, which I'm eternally grateful for, but they just need to be visually brushed up and given a touch of signature styling to them to make them really pop.

Doubt it'll happen, and 2k will give us some other fantasy dedicated mode endorsed by a rapper or a film director......
Old 08-03-2016, 09:02 AM   #28
Just started!

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
Well they have a lot more to do with the game than just mod the faces of all-time players, tbh. Probably took these modders an entire few days to edit some of these faces. If the 2k artists did that for each classic player they'd never finish.
Bull. This is a question of resources and priorities. 2K isn't some shabby two-man software shack, you know.

It's easy to say that most 2K players don't care about the classic players / or legends aren't 2K's top priority, because it's trickier than this. For instance, the "collecting card" mode in MyTeam is quite heavily based on people lusting after those rare legends...
Old 08-03-2016, 09:17 AM   #29
72-10

MarkWilliam's Arena

OVR: 1

At the risk of starting a riot I'll say this.

I love legends and when 2K introduced it (via MJ: Creating a Legend) in 2K11 it was something of an untapped market. So they blew up the internet and sunk time and man power into something that's never been done.

From a business stand point it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to go an re-shape something that will not generate any new revenue. Unless the numbers speak loud enough (in terms of lost sales) they have no reason to go and re-invest time and man power into something they've already done.

Every year it looks like a new mode or feature is introduced and lets face it, its because new is exciting.

How does 2K announce "hey all, we're re-visiting legends!!" and turn enough heads to justify?

Sad but it appears, true..... money. It talks. A lot.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:58 AM   #30
MVP

daveberg's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWilliam
At the risk of starting a riot I'll say this.

I love legends and when 2K introduced it (via MJ: Creating a Legend) in 2K11 it was something of an untapped market. So they blew up the internet and sunk time and man power into something that's never been done.

From a business stand point it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to go an re-shape something that will not generate any new revenue. Unless the numbers speak loud enough (in terms of lost sales) they have no reason to go and re-invest time and man power into something they've already done.

Every year it looks like a new mode or feature is introduced and lets face it, its because new is exciting.

How does 2K announce "hey all, we're re-visiting legends!!" and turn enough heads to justify?

Sad but it appears, true..... money. It talks. A lot.
Well personally, I think they could reignite it by introducing another classic themed mode, but it won't happen. The market for online play, mycareer, park etc is too great for 2k to really invest anymore of their time into the classics. That said - look at the attention this gets on here, nearly every year, about this time, folk start discussing the legends at depth - must be something in that, right?

I was always partial to the idea of a 'greatest playoff game' mode so the user gets to reenact some of the best playoff battles we've seen spanning across several different eras - just something to get 2k a little more dedicated towards this aspect of the game, as we've all agreed, it's in need of some polish.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:02 PM   #31
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insight23
Yeah I even prefer the character model 2k had before this most recent Shaq.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lathrowback
They should've stayed with the "before" faceAttachment 122304

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Exactly!!! I play with Shaq a lot. But once they actually scanned the old Shaq. It was really bad. They should just used that face scan on the Heat Shaq. And leave the young Shaq alone smh.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2016, 03:48 PM   #32
MVP

OVR: 1

I'm not going to lie, I don't understand why people are so hung up on this stuff. I agree that there are many inaccuracies. But I just don't think it's THAT big of a deal.

They are working on so many other different modes for so many other different parts of the game. You don't see the players' faces that often and I'm not staring at a dudes accessories all game long.

Again, that's just me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »