Home

Height/Speed/Playmaking/Shooting Caps need work moving forward

This is a discussion on Height/Speed/Playmaking/Shooting Caps need work moving forward within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2016, 03:28 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Height/Speed/Playmaking/Shooting Caps need work moving forward

John wall
Prime Jason Kidd
Prime LeBron James
Prime Michael Jordan
Kristaps Porzingis
Blake Griffin
Scottie Pippen
Willie Cauley Stein
Anthony Davis

What do all of these players have in common? They all are pretty fast for their respective heights. In NBA 2k16, it seems the logic goes, the taller you are at your position, you have to sacrifice speed and shooting abilitiy. It doesn't seem fair nor does it make sense that you have real life examples of players who regardless of their height have a cap on their speed or shooting ability. I'm not saying let everyone become do it all monsters, but I believe the caps in place for my players this year was too severe and there needs to be more leniency when it comes speed and shooting ability across the boards. There's no reason that if I make an inside point guard that his 3 point shooting caps at a 72 yet an outside shooting big only caps at 3 point shooting at a 75 and a 55 overall speed. That's terrible. Also the playmaking caps for all positions were too severe. This a videogame and everyone wants to look good out there when they have the ball in there hands. Playing with a 60 something ball handling rating as a tall wing player is ridiculous.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2016, 08:59 PM   #2
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Height/Speed/Playmaking/Shooting Caps need work moving forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakstarter
John wall
Prime Jason Kidd
Prime LeBron James
Prime Michael Jordan
Kristaps Porzingis
Blake Griffin
Scottie Pippen
Willie Cauley Stein
Anthony Davis

What do all of these players have in common? They all are pretty fast for their respective heights. In NBA 2k16, it seems the logic goes, the taller you are at your position, you have to sacrifice speed and shooting abilitiy. It doesn't seem fair nor does it make sense that you have real life examples of players who regardless of their height have a cap on their speed or shooting ability. I'm not saying let everyone become do it all monsters, but I believe the caps in place for my players this year was too severe and there needs to be more leniency when it comes speed and shooting ability across the boards. There's no reason that if I make an inside point guard that his 3 point shooting caps at a 72 yet an outside shooting big only caps at 3 point shooting at a 75 and a 55 overall speed. That's terrible. Also the playmaking caps for all positions were too severe. This a videogame and everyone wants to look good out there when they have the ball in there hands. Playing with a 60 something ball handling rating as a tall wing player is ridiculous.
Can we all just stop the video game argument that gets defeated as soon as the phrase "Sports Simulation" gets added to it. I think the caps need work, but listing 9 guys out of 800+ players is a sample size of about 1%. I know there's more than 9, but this is seriously a tiny drop in a giant bucket that you want them to account for. People wanted to make Kevin Durant, we got 2k13/14's 7 foot Small Forward BS.

My opinion, rework the stuff, but keep them similar. Anthony Davis and your examples are unique which is why they are not represented in career. Of they separate online from offline, fine, but if it's the same, edit small things on the cap and keep everything else the same

PSN: ViolenceFight
Instagram: @ViolenceFight
Old 08-05-2016, 10:02 PM   #3
Rookie

I wish they just separated the modes. If I want to make a guy like Anthony Davis or Kevin Durant or Lebron I should be able to. I literally never play online so who cares if I make a fast PF with AD's height.

The problem is that MyPlayer is tied to online, so if they allowed you to make a 7ft small forward (ie KD) everyone would just do that.

Just separate the modes and everything will be fine 2k
Old 08-05-2016, 10:42 PM   #4
Rookie

So basically in a nutshell, the real life examples would be considered cheese if everyone tried to make them in the virtual world? So you mean to tell me we can "ooh and ahhh" at all the marvelous things these players can achieve in real life, but when it comes to being to translate that in a video game, we as a community can't handle that? I'm at a loss for words. Like I only listed the 9 that I posted off the top of my head. So let's see ...if I want to make a point guard that plays like 2016 Russell Westbrook, who by the way is the greatest athlete the point guard position has ever seen, the inside point guard doesn't have a mid range jump shot, yet the current version of Russell has developed a nice consistent mid range game to go alongside with his once in a life time athlecism. In 2K16, this build isnt possible because the caps are too strict and honestly, if the caps are set in place, based off of gameplay online against competition, we should be able to bypass the caps by 5 or 10 points depending on which attribute we want to work on.

Last edited by Breakstarter; 08-05-2016 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:21 AM   #5
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakstarter
So basically in a nutshell, the real life examples would be considered cheese if everyone tried to make them in the virtual world? So you mean to tell me we can "ooh and ahhh" at all the marvelous things these players can achieve in real life, but when it comes to being to translate that in a video game, we as a community can't handle that? I'm at a loss for words. Like I only listed the 9 that I posted off the top of my head. So let's see ...if I want to make a point guard that plays like 2016 Russell Westbrook, who by the way is the greatest athlete the point guard position has ever seen, the inside point guard doesn't have a mid range jump shot, yet the current version of Russell has developed a nice consistent mid range game to go alongside with his once in a life time athlecism. In 2K16, this build isnt possible because the caps are too strict and honestly, if the caps are set in place, based off of gameplay online against competition, we should be able to bypass the caps by 5 or 10 points depending on which attribute we want to work on.
Well, yeah if you want balance then you have to nix them for online, because otherwise it's more homogenized than it is now. Russell has a suspect mid range by the way, so inside guard fits him well. I run my SG like a pass first Westbrook, and the inside shot is more than consistent.

You should be able to make whatever you want offline. Online, well can you honestly tell me that it's fun to match up against the same thing? Because that's what you want. You want AD? How fun is it to play against AD every game? You look at it from a perspective of "I want to play as...", I see it as "I'm tired of playing against...". I'm tired of 6'7 guards spamming the same stuff no matter how I lock them up. I'm tired of every center being 7'3 outside.

Will my solution fix it? Maybe not. Yours won't either, though. But, balancing it gives me the opportunity to play the way I can, and not have to worry whether I'm Min/Maxed correctly, because I can do things that counter what they maxed. It creates actual match ups, it makes people have to actually think about what they do. Currently there is no thought process behind anything of that nature. There will be less if they go more lax.

If you want a Center with a high outside shot, and good rebounding, Defense or inside scoring should suffer greatly. Those types of Centers traditionally do not bang in the post. I was more than happy to take the hit to my 3pt shot being an inside guard. I spot up for wide open shots, but I attack. I just tuned my playstyle based on what's available.

Regardless, I really won't care if they make it like 15, or 14, or 13. If the defense remains, I'll crush everything in front of me after I learn the pattern they use.

PSN: ViolenceFight
Instagram: @ViolenceFight

Last edited by ViolenceFight; 08-06-2016 at 12:31 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2016, 01:20 AM   #6
MVP

MontanaMan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolenceFight
Can we all just stop the video game argument that gets defeated as soon as the phrase "Sports Simulation" gets added to it. I think the caps need work, but listing 9 guys out of 800+ players is a sample size of about 1%. I know there's more than 9, but this is seriously a tiny drop in a giant bucket that you want them to account for. People wanted to make Kevin Durant, we got 2k13/14's 7 foot Small Forward BS.

My opinion, rework the stuff, but keep them similar. Anthony Davis and your examples are unique which is why they are not represented in career. Of they separate online from offline, fine, but if it's the same, edit small things on the cap and keep everything else the same
People want to be able to create once in a generation talents and it's hilarious.

There has to be limits or the game will be broken.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:42 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
People want to be able to create once in a generation talents and it's hilarious.

There has to be limits or the game will be broken.
I'm fine with the game being broken so long as it simulates real life...hell 2k literally "broke their game" for steph curry to replicate how he he really plays in real life. I don't get how u have people who want to simulate real life but dont want players that reflect those same my players builds. That to me doesn't seem realistic. It's almost as if from your standpoint you're in your own bubble and want people to play rock paper scissors out here. The game isn't meant to be balanced. It's meant to be realistic. Or as close to the real game of basketball as possible alsowhile still being a great videogame.

I have a better question...besides the fact that some of you who will want the challenge of picking a lesser team to feel good about yourselves if they come out victorious, In 2k17, if every time you come online and let's say for spitz and giggles you go to play now and your opponent picks the golden state warriors, do you feel that the game is unbalanced or realistic that your opponent goes for the option that gives them the best possible chance of winning?

You stated that if I preferred playing against similar player builds. I'm a competitive person, so you know what, how I'm built, I could face the same player builds all day all night or face the same teams all day long and like you said, once I learned the patterns of what people like to do, it always boils down to stick skills. PUT it this way, if you have an year old with the Golden State Warrriors, against yourself, a seasoned veteran of online gaming g, after about the 1st quarter I'm sure you'd wind up blowing g him out. Sor like all great franchises, 2k is layered to the point that I can differentiate between who's got skill and who doesnt.

So whether I'm playing against 99 overall superstars online or not, that doesn't matter. So long as the defense remains in the game the way it was this year, I'm good. All I'm saying is these attribute caps were too harsh and could use a lil flexibility moving forward, that is all sir.

Last edited by Breakstarter; 08-06-2016 at 01:45 AM.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:09 AM   #8
Banned

Park and career definitely need to be separated out. Of course people want to create generational players/goats in their career modes and should be allowed to do so.

The major flaw in these current player caps is highlighted, when you realise that not only do you have to forget about the AD's and KD's, but you can't even realistically create Sean Livingston.

The players that were creating the 7ft SF's/7'2 PG's are the same people spamming the curry hop step and painting their faces black in 2k16. Those people are always going to be there, and there were always loads of different heights and positions in park despite the demigods.

An unrestricted career mode is more important to me than park. I could easily go a year without park. Only so many games you can play before the youtubers have 90% of opponents playing the exact same way anyway.

Last edited by Yesh2kdone; 08-06-2016 at 04:46 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »