Home

Why Patches and Updates put 2k in a lose-lose situation (Great Read)

This is a discussion on Why Patches and Updates put 2k in a lose-lose situation (Great Read) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-06-2016, 06:29 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Why Patches and Updates put 2k in a lose-lose situation (Great Read)

2k has done a very good job at listening to feedback of the public consensus about changes and tuning that needs to be made (especially Mike Wang in these forums). However this creates bigger problems isntead of solving pre-existing one's and here's why...

The overwhelming majority of NBA 2k players can be split into 2 groups, one that favors more casual style of game play and one that prefers a realistic basketball simulation experience. The problem that this presents 2k (especially Mike Wang during his tuning updates) is that Mike and the rest of 2k has to try and cater to these 2 distinct groups who each want a certain type of game play that is on opposite sides of the spectrum So when Mike makes a tuning upgrade making more realistic shooting % for example, 1/2 of the consumers (or maybe even more) are going to be upset that they aren't getting the type of casual experience they want. If Mike makes a change catering to more casual game play than the other 1/2 will be upset that they aren't getting the realistic game play that they were hoping for.

Mike tries to adjusts or tune the game play to where it's a balance and that is the biggest problem. Meeting in the middle to try and cater to both types of players does not result in balance but rather it results in neither side getting the full experience of the play style they want. This is where NBA 2k starts to lose it's identity and becomes very inconsistent in terms of game play because it is trying to be 2 things at once.

It's as if a company is trying to create a transport machine for 2 groups, one who wants a car and one who wants a plane. Instead of the company making a separate car or plane the company tries to make a machine that is both and has to compromise certain characteristics of the car or the plane in order to make it happen. The end result is a machine that isn't as good of a car as it could be or isn't as good of a plane as it could be because the company tried to make both instead of separating and making one for each group.

THE SOLUTION: Making 2 separate games is unreasonable because of the amount of resources it would take and money it would cost. The quick and fairly simple solution that would be a win-win for both types of gamers would be this...

Normal (normal game play that you experience now) vs realistic (game tuned for more realistic game play/no green releases) server options so everyone gets what they want.

You want no green releases, game play that is tuned to punish poor shot selection more harshly, severe fatigue punishment for over dribbling, no shot meter, etc? play on "realistic" servers

Having fun just the way the tuning is currently set online?, play on the "normal" servers. Win Win for everyone.
These type of server settings exist in other genres of games and 2k can implement this and make their jobs a whole lot easier in terms of focusing the tuning updates for each server setting (normal or realistic) instead of for the entire player base that is wanting a style of game play that is on different ends of the spectrum.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2016, 06:49 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Why Patches and Updates put 2k in a lose-lose situation (Great Read)

The 2 types of players who play 2k are summed up in the videos below...

Players who appreciate how hard basketball is at at the advanced level and want the realism and little things that go into offense and defense

Players who want to just have a casual fun time playing that I imagine are more like these players in the video below...

Last edited by jxelite2430; 10-06-2016 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:03 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGaryColeman
I like the idea, though I do feel like Pro-Am was supposed to be "realistic" and Park was supposed to be the arcade one.

Also, 2k Matchmaking probably wouldn't be able to handle server selection - but we have already seen they have the ability to alter the Park Rules for special events...

What if it was a Sim Court? Like one of the parks (or all of the parks) have 1 Sim Court where it takes away all the Arcade stuff?

I think that would be an easier way to implement your idea without much effort.
Good ideas, but I'm speaking more than just park and Pro-am though. Play now online, My Team, etc also needs to have normal vs realistic server options
Old 10-06-2016, 09:18 PM   #4
Banned

SirGaryColeman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxelite2430
Good ideas, but I'm speaking more than just park and Pro-am though. Play now online, My Team, etc also needs to have normal vs realistic server options
Oh, my bad. Yeah, I agree then...

If I can join a server or even hit off a check box like "use Sim Slider Settings," then that would solve it for those that want pure sim.

They really should take a look at a game like Rocket League's matchmaking system. It's so easy to get a quick game and choose a mode that you want to play.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:37 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGaryColeman
Oh, my bad. Yeah, I agree then...

If I can join a server or even hit off a check box like "use Sim Slider Settings," then that would solve it for those that want pure sim.

They really should take a look at a game like Rocket League's matchmaking system. It's so easy to get a quick game and choose a mode that you want to play.
Battlefield even has the normal and hardcore servers which is great because everyone gets the experience that they prefer. If 2k adds this it could be a game changer
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2016, 09:59 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
2k has done a very good job at listening to feedback of the public consensus about changes and tuning that needs to be made (especially Mike Wang in these forums). However this creates bigger problems isntead of solving pre-existing one's and here's why...

The overwhelming majority of NBA 2k players can be split into 2 groups, one that favors more casual style of game play and one that prefers a realistic basketball simulation experience. The problem that this presents 2k (especially Mike Wang during his tuning updates) is that Mike and the rest of 2k has to try and cater to these 2 distinct groups who each want a certain type of game play that is on opposite sides of the spectrum So when Mike makes a tuning upgrade making more realistic shooting % for example, 1/2 of the consumers (or maybe even more) are going to be upset that they aren't getting the type of casual experience they want. If Mike makes a change catering to more casual game play than the other 1/2 will be upset that they aren't getting the realistic game play that they were hoping for.

Mike tries to adjusts or tune the game play to where it's a balance and that is the biggest problem. Meeting in the middle to try and cater to both types of players does not result in balance but rather it results in neither side getting the full experience of the play style they want. This is where NBA 2k starts to lose it's identity and becomes very inconsistent in terms of game play because it is trying to be 2 things at once.

It's as if a company is trying to create a transport machine for 2 groups, one who wants a car and one who wants a plane. Instead of the company making a separate car or plane the company tries to make a machine that is both and has to compromise certain characteristics of the car or the plane in order to make it happen. The end result is a machine that isn't as good of a car as it could be or isn't as good of a plane as it could be because the company tried to make both instead of separating and making one for each group.

THE SOLUTION: Making 2 separate games is unreasonable because of the amount of resources it would take and money it would cost. The quick and fairly simple solution that would be a win-win for both types of gamers would be this...

Normal (normal game play that you experience now) vs realistic (game tuned for more realistic game play/no green releases) server options so everyone gets what they want.

You want no green releases, game play that is tuned to punish poor shot selection more harshly, severe fatigue punishment for over dribbling, no shot meter, etc? play on "realistic" servers

Having fun just the way the tuning is currently set online?, play on the "normal" servers. Win Win for everyone.
These type of server settings exist in other genres of games and 2k can implement this and make their jobs a whole lot easier in terms of focusing the tuning updates for each server setting (normal or realistic) instead of for the entire player base that is wanting a style of game play that is on different ends of the spectrum.
This is an awesome read. I really appreciate your viewpoint. Mines was much harsher.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:11 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:

I agree with this..for the second year in a row 2k has bungled their game after launch. To make it worse they vowed not change the game a great deal by patching. I thought people were over exaggerating, but I just played someone in my team that was draining deep heavily contested 3's at will... Leaving your ****ing game alone after launch!! It was fine when you released it! It went from a playable very good game to just absolutely no chance of scoring from the perimeter...now it's way on the other end people pulling from everywhere heavily contested.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:27 AM   #8
Pro

ruxpinke's Arena

OVR: 3

Two hours in the park, not a fan of this latest update at all. Add to that defense feeling slower and less responsive, and just bad input lag I'm general. Not a good experience. Wish it hadn't been changed. Too many bad shots were being rewarded imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »