Home

We need to start blaming the Community as much as we blame 2K for state of gameplay

This is a discussion on We need to start blaming the Community as much as we blame 2K for state of gameplay within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-26-2016, 06:49 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: We need to start blaming the Community as much as we blame 2K for state of gamepl

It's like children, you can't blame little people for acting immature and entitled, but you have to blame the adults that enable and pander to it.

You can't blame the community for the really bad gameplay issues either. If you watch the NBA, most of the shots are facing some sort of contest, and yet the online community loses it's collective **** over contested makes.

At the introduction of the game, Beluba said they wouldn't be tweaking shooting much this year, so they were obviously happy with where the game was, and yet they were caught off guard by people practising and using the new stick mechanism to shoot???!

I now have had to shelve my sharpshooter save because ridiculously late closes are affecting my shooting disproportionately, and on HoF, that's just killed it. So I now have a slasher career, because the 250k vc I spent on that Sharpshooter is now worthless, and yet the company (not the devs) don't give a toss.

Player archetypes are the worst introduction in a 2k game I've played, and that was solely because they want their tournament to be more varied, so again, that's not the communities fault.

I only play career these days because park post 2k15 is boring and monotonous, so I don't even really get involved in 2k community issues, but to summarise, it's not the community that's to blame, it's the people changing/breaking stuff on a continual loop, that gives the kids hope they can moan and get the game however they want.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:50 AM   #10
Rookie

Re: We need to start blaming the Community as much as we blame 2K for state of gamepl

I'm not a defender of the game, but this is true. This year's game is solid (after patches). Far from being perfect but solid. I cannot understand those who...

The AI cannot defend a play? Don't use it, auto playcalling is there for you. The worst concept of sports gaming is the "money play".
Old 12-26-2016, 08:01 AM   #11
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAJP
It's like children, you can't blame little people for acting immature and entitled, but you have to blame the adults that enable and pander to it.

You can't blame the community for the really bad gameplay issues either. If you watch the NBA, most of the shots are facing some sort of contest, and yet the online community loses it's collective **** over contested makes.

At the introduction of the game, Beluba said they wouldn't be tweaking shooting much this year, so they were obviously happy with where the game was, and yet they were caught off guard by people practising and using the new stick mechanism to shoot???!

I now have had to shelve my sharpshooter save because ridiculously late closes are affecting my shooting disproportionately, and on HoF, that's just killed it. So I now have a slasher career, because the 250k vc I spent on that Sharpshooter is now worthless, and yet the company (not the devs) don't give a toss.

Player archetypes are the worst introduction in a 2k game I've played, and that was solely because they want their tournament to be more varied, so again, that's not the communities fault.

I only play career these days because park post 2k15 is boring and monotonous, so I don't even really get involved in 2k community issues, but to summarise, it's not the community that's to blame, it's the people changing/breaking stuff on a continual loop, that gives the kids hope they can moan and get the game however they want.
You can thank the forums here for the Sharpshooter thing, and the ridiculously late closeouts counting as full contests. Hence why I'm sticking to my LDD for the rest of the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-26-2016, 08:21 AM   #12
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirio994
I'm not a defender of the game, but this is true. This year's game is solid (after patches). Far from being perfect but solid. I cannot understand those who...

The AI cannot defend a play? Don't use it, auto playcalling is there for you. The worst concept of sports gaming is the "money play".
This thread doesn't seem to be for the offline crowd, so I'm just going to come in real quick on this.

This is the worst excuse for defending a product, and I'm so tired of hearing people say this. Playing offline, the AI is incapable of defending a simple pick and roll!! You're telling me, that we should stop using a freaking pick and roll because the AI can't adjust properly and defend it?!

My man, a pick and roll. Sam and others have illustrated that they can drop over 100 points with 1 player using a pick and roll! So we're not supposed to use the most common play in basketball, because the AI isn't smart enough to adjust and defend it using this "amazing", super smart ACE system?

I don't know about you, but the pick and roll isn't a money play in my eyes.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 12-26-2016, 08:28 AM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
This thread doesn't seem to be for the offline crowd, so I'm just going to come in real quick on this.

This is the worst excuse for defending a product, and I'm so tired of hearing people say this. Playing offline, the AI is incapable of defending a simple pick and roll!! You're telling me, that we should stop using a freaking pick and roll because the AI can't adjust properly and defend it?!

My man, a pick and roll. Sam and others have illustrated that they can drop over 100 points with 1 player using a pick and roll! So we're not supposed to use the most common play in basketball, because the AI isn't smart enough to adjust and defend it using this "amazing", super smart ACE system?

I don't know about you, but the pick and roll isn't a money play in my eyes.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Operation Sports mobile app
I agree, the AI is not able to defend the simple p&r. But i'm not refering to it, i'm refering to the katana cut, offball cut. This is an offensive repertory the devs rushed in. To me it was a great feature but not ready to be implemented because of the difensive side.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:11 AM   #14
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLeafClover
2K can patch the game all they want, but if the players who populate the community of the game spend all their time trying to exploit every little flaw in defensive AI, play in the least realistic way possible in order to get a win, and in general just break the game, then there is only so much they can do.

I can't remember a more toxic community in gaming and I've been playing games for over 20 years online; it seems as the game gets more and more successful it continues to attract people who are less interested in basketball and more just want to play "popular games" in a Call of Duty fashion instead of trying to simulate the actual sport.

There really needs to be simulation style restrictions on certain game modes with moderators etc, or a way to "block" people we get matched up with so that we don't match up with them again.

It's especially prevalent in the likes of Park, MyTeam Online and Walk On Pro Am; the behaviour of the average player in this game just has me staring at my screen in disbelief in terms of the willingness to cheese, play selfishly, abuse the pause screen, etc etc.

I think we just need to accept at some point that 2K can't "patch personality" and that the average person has no intention of playing a basketball simulation. Welcome to Call of Duty: NBA.
Sorry, I can't take this seriously.

2K is offering a $250k purse in e-sports. For that money, people are going to do whatever they can to win using everything they can in the game. That's one segment of the "community," but it's the segment 2K has actively cultivated and encouraged.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:29 AM   #15
Pro

NoLeafClover's Arena

I think people are missing the point, nowhere was it that 2K shouldn't be blamed for all the flaws, far from it. The point is that the overall "culture" of the game seems to have changed for the far worse year after year, to the point where it is now.

The gameplay mechanical flaws are exacerbated by the increasing percentage of the community's disdain for actual basketball to do everything possible to "cheese" a win instead of earn one, as the percentage of less true basketball fans and general "gamers" has risen with 2K's increased playerbase and popularity.

In other words, "basketball" isn't what matters to a ton of the current playerbase; "winning at all costs even if it requires cheating the system" is.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-26-2016, 11:16 AM   #16
MVP

ph33's Arena

Unfortunately this is how a lot of competitive games end up.

But you're right, the community deserves a ton of blame. We're the ones who keep putting money in their pockets. But I do think this is the year people are officially fed up and won't put up a pre-order. Next year I imagine it will be lots of wait-and-see folks like myself.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »