Home

NBA and Take-Two Launching NBA 2K eLeague in 2018, Teams Operated By NBA Franchises

This is a discussion on NBA and Take-Two Launching NBA 2K eLeague in 2018, Teams Operated By NBA Franchises within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-09-2017, 05:52 PM   #49
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: NBA and Take-Two partnering on NBA 2K Esports League

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilkoolaid
is this news for online people only?
90% of everything 2k does for their NBA franchise is for online people only lol

I don't blame them either. That's where the money is.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:30 PM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: NBA and Take-Two Launching NBA 2K eLeague in 2018, Teams Operated By NBA Franchis

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLeafClover
But when those "skills" such as zigzagging behind brick wall screens at the 3 point line do nothing to reflect the actual game it's supposed to be based on, I wonder how the NBA will feel when they get an actual look at it?
That does not describe the play of last year's tournament, I watched it.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:26 PM   #51
MVP

nova91's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: NBA and Take-Two Launching NBA 2K eLeague in 2018, Teams Operated By NBA Franchis

They need to work on having a non crappy non spastic game before launching an eSports league. If I was a part of that league and any one of 2Ks numerous problems caused me to lose a game, I'd raise hell.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2017, 08:08 PM   #52
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617
That does not describe the play of last year's tournament, I watched it.
2K16 didn't have shooters who could consistently make a three from close to half court; it didn't have dribblers who could make you stumble or fall down just by flicking their right joystick; and it didn't have screeners who could stun you, knock you down, or drain your entire stamina meter just by suctioning you into one of their screens like a vacuum cleaner.

All of that stuff became possible in 2K17 with the invention of grand badges/hall of fame badges, and the majority of the top teams' offensive gameplay now revolves around doing those things every time they don't have a fastbreak.

In 2K16 it was also easier to play man to man defense because everyone had good defensive ratings and gold defensive badges, whereas most people in 2K17 have bad defensive ratings and bronze defensive badges, so now most of the top teams just play a variety of zone defenses that no team in the real NBA would use for more than a couple of possessions per game.

Zig zag dribbling in 2K16 was also generally less effective because the ball was more tangible and much easier to bump loose compared to the less tangible and more yo-yo-like dribbling in 2K17.

Last edited by jyoung; 02-09-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:32 PM   #53
MVP

Hustle Westbrook's Arena

OVR: 0

This sounds amazing. How the hell do I sign up for this lol?
Old 02-09-2017, 10:21 PM   #54
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

OVR: 1

....A combine you say. I was super hesitant talking with Ev, and a few others last night. If there's pay, and it's decent, I'll be finding a combine to attend. I want to do this real bad, but can't afford to quit my job if it's not remotely close to what I currently make.

That's literally all I am worried about. I love basketball. I play 2k because I don't have a lot of free time to play actual basketball. I would love to do this, and I also really need to know where I stand in comparison to the actual monsters that are hiding out there. I'm actually getting a little more hype than I know I should for this

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PSN: ViolenceFight
Instagram: @ViolenceFight
Old 02-09-2017, 11:41 PM   #55
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Quote:
How many people watched the games last year? I'm pretty sure that Take Two has data to justify this endeavor with NBA, and for the NBA to back it up. Plus, you have to take in consideration the additional exposure they'll get from this.
I don't remember what the viewer turnout was like last year, but the official 2K twitch channel was fluctuating between 1,000 to 2,000 viewers during last weekend's stream.

At the moment, Pro Am is still a very niche community within 2K. The majority of 2K's users play MyCareer, MyPark, or MyTeam.

If one of the most popular MyPark players (Nadexe) hadn't been playing in last weekend's tournament, I bet the turnout for that stream probably would have been even lower.

Last edited by jyoung; 02-09-2017 at 11:44 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-10-2017, 01:08 AM   #56
Banned

jax01's Arena

OVR: 0

How this actually works is gonna make all the difference I think.

1. How will players be chosen? Like REALLY. A draft, a virtual combine ok. So how do you get into that pool of players eligible for a draft. We're talking 100k+ players all trying to squeeze into 150 slots? And marketing or how many subscribers/followers they got won't influence that decision on who makes the cut?

2. Any pro-am team will tell you that chemistry is huge. If you draft 5 randoms (although good players), it's going to take time for the team to gel.

Interested to see how this works.

The NBA sponsorship or wtvr is great, but I'm not crazy about thousands of people or however many, competing for only 150 spots.

I'd rather they had the NBA sponsor leagues that allow more players to participate or get drafted. I think that's more of an realistic incentive.

But I love the direction it's going - backed by the NBA, esports, leagues, 5on5 human competition. It's just gonna grow the game, bring bigger prizes bring more players, cooler modes, etc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »