Home

27 Changes That Would Help Pro Am's Gameplay Resemble NBA Basketball

This is a discussion on 27 Changes That Would Help Pro Am's Gameplay Resemble NBA Basketball within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-26-2017, 03:51 AM   #41
MVP

OVR: 8
Re: 27 Changes That Would Help Pro Am's Gameplay Resemble NBA Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody17929
Totally agree with that. Also that fact of playing online and people just spam turbo while holding square. Most of them have terrible dunk packages equiped and get easily blocked. As a shot creator archetype i've really learned how to use my arsenal of layups and floaters, really improved the game play for me as I now selectively dunk.
I'am inerested in this. Can you give some examples of dunk packages more difficult to block?
I'am a 6'8" SF btw
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2017, 11:26 AM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzis
I'am inerested in this. Can you give some examples of dunk packages more difficult to block?
I'am a 6'8" SF btw
Just go to dunk screen and watch all the animations. If you see your character pull the ball behind him DO NOT use that package. 99% of blocks in this game are fast break chasedown variety. If you give the defense time to hit the ball they will. It also depends on your play style are you mostly transition dunking or are you a point forward or slasher? Shawn Kemp is nice if you're 6'8 with decent vertical. Almost never gets blocked and I dunk over people with the package equipped. I'm a 6'9 SF shot creator
Old 03-04-2017, 09:50 AM   #43
Pro

I think a lot of issues would be fixed if we could just choose whether to play on "a simulation server" or an "arcade server".

And there you go - that changes playstyle completely - the people who want to play realistically would go to the simulation - and those who don't (how it is right now) would go to arcade.

This year i do not see the fun of making an offensive build - i just feel like all of them are so easy to use - so all i've done is experiment with LDD builds. And i've made several posts on how i feel defense is terrible and that really affects the effectiveness of LDD - among other things that i believe the build lacks.

I just feel like this game online is full of bail outs - people around here when someone complains about something needing to be fixed - their like "o you just can't defend it - find a way".

And that's when playstyles often clash - that answer was likely from an arcade guy who cheeses the game. The request was likely from someone who wants balance/more realism.

You just can't have both - i truly believe there needs to be dedicated servers for playstyles.

This would also potentially eliminate the need for archetypes (although i think it's a cool system that has a lot of potential).

At the end of the day - a lot of us just want the game to simulate basketball - yes is true most of the 2k community is arcade. But the ones who don't want to play arcade shouldn't be forced to - right arcade dictates how things go - what changes what doesn't.

Such as beluba doing all the shooting changes upon twitter polls who likely were full of arcade players biased opinions.

I just want the game to be legit - no crazy really deep 3s being dropped 24/7 - no constant making layups over people as if they weren't even there - no dribble spam without consequeneces - punish people who don't pass - balance offense and defense instead of letting offense dictate everything - No constant foul bail outs.

I mean - simulation playstyle says it all. That's all.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:04 AM   #44
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSmak
I'm actually unhappy with the fact that pretty much every myplayer on 2k can dunk well. I wanna see some lay up artist guys instead of dudes just banging.

-Smak
I was expecting some Chris Paul , John stockton, Steve Nash type of playmakers. But instead everyone is Westbrook lol
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 03-05-2017, 08:49 PM   #45
Rookie

acetheredcomet's Arena

I agree with some but the point about shooting percentages based on archetype I don't agree with. It should be more about point allocation than what build. I agree with the shot after catch and shot after dribble, however I think difficult shots should also encompass post fades and hooks as they are "difficult shots". Reach-ins should be reduced on LDDs and increased on every other archetype, however pressing the steal button more than once in a spamming action should result in a auto foul. Blocks should be increased for LDDs and everything else reduced and have height increase the chances va shorter players (no more 5'7 PGs dunking on bigs)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2017, 12:33 PM   #46
Rookie

shayellis's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung

23) It should be much tougher than it currently is to gain deep inside position in the paint. Offensive cutters with inferior strength ratings will frequently swim past well-positioned defenders, or simply push them backwards until the defender is stuck underneath the rim for an easy posterizer dunk.

There are already animations in the game to deal with this problem, they just don't trigger frequently enough. The defensive "push back" shove animation that stops a cutter in his tracks and knocks him backwards should be triggering consistently whenever the strength ratings are in the defense's favor and a defender is standing squarely between the cutter's path to the rim.
1. Dunks/Standing Dunks are insane in this game. You can literally start a standing dunk animation almost anywhere near the rim regardless of the defender. Also almost nobody uses layups because they aren't as successful in this game. I watched the finals of the pro am tournament and saw ZERO layups(except ones directly under the rim). Who needs to layup when getting position is as simple as walking into the paint no contact, lead passing right by the defenders chin, and then triggering a dunk animation that ignores defensive position.

Whats worse and compounds to this is how practically any size player can standing dunk at will. PG'S and SG's are standing dunking all over the place its insane.

Solutions:
1. Dunks should expend more energy than they currently do (IMO almost everything in the game should expend more energy then it currently does) Dunks definitely should expend more energy than a layup.
2. Defense should have more of an impact on the offensive players dunking in traffic under the rim.
3. Don't Allow players like SG,PGs,SF's to standing dunk based on their size, ratings, and badges.

2. Why don't players lose the ball on there own from overdribbling. If a center does 10 behind the back crossovers down the court, he should have a chance to lose the ball on his own.

BTW
I like your videos on youtube. I played you in Pro Am a while ago. I would be down to squad up in 2k17 or 2k18

Last edited by shayellis; 03-07-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:10 PM   #47
Rookie

CBAT's Arena

OVR: 2

I agree with almost everything. Well done.

I would like to remove the need of having to ever play My Career. I hate it.

Last edited by CBAT; 03-08-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:37 PM   #48
MVP

I agree with most of the things here, except a few:

3.) I'd adjust a few of the percentages, and a few archetype placements, but that's just me

5.) Shot Creators and LDDs should be allowed access to better dunk packages, but not elite dunk packages (reserved for Slashers and AFs). Shot Creators because they have to rely on trickery to score and/or to get to the basket, hence why they have the second highest driving ability next to Slashers/AFs. LDDs because they have to rely on athleticism, because even they have to have some means of being able to score.

6.) Shot Creators should have the same access to elite dribble move/packages as Playmakers and Point Forwards, only to a slightly lesser degree. If the tallest Playmakers and Point Forwards still get access to those moves, so should Shot Creators.

7.) https://youtu.be/0SF-oQmqaj0

The archetype system, as is, is already restrictive enough. We do NOT need even MORE restrictions. It's barely tolerable in its current incarnation.

Last edited by Caelumfang; 03-07-2017 at 11:47 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »