Home

NBA 2k18 - Another VC grind fest?

This is a discussion on NBA 2k18 - Another VC grind fest? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-10-2017, 02:51 PM   #105
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2k18 - Another VC grind fest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse
I've watched EA completely screw over an entire demographic for multiple console generations now in the football niche.

I understand where a lot of these people are coming from, because I don't like that it's going to cost me $50 to be able to have a competent MyPlayer day 1. But when you look at this product in relation to some others, 2K could be doing worse.

My primary concern will always be gameplay. If the gameplay is strong enough I believe it warrants re-investing in the experience (that can be time or money). Compare 2K and a title like Madden in this regard, and for me personally, 2K's product is so much more complex and polished, so much flat out better that it warrants that.

Micro-Transactions are not going to stop, they are just going to grow. Look at these Free to Play game models and how they make money, this is the future.
I partly agree, I've bought a load of VC in the past, and it's not ideal but it's the market so it is what it is. I think it's a smalltime move on 2k's part charging for haircuts and facial hair etc, but from what I've heard there are games within the neighbourhood that should give you the opportunity to earn a chunk of VC continually, so until we all see whats on offer then none of us really know how smalltime it is.

That said, the VC angle wasn't necessarily the point of my post, it's just annoying seeing the same community dismissing the concerns of others within because it doesn't concern them, but all that may change within a couple of years for what we know.

Even then, if you don't like the thread title, don't go into every thread you don't like them and tell people what they should think.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2017, 02:52 PM   #106
Rookie

Dyslexicphish's Arena

To the people defending 2k on this I just want to ask one question:

What is the line for you? What is something that would make you think that 2k is overstepping on this VC issue?
Old 09-10-2017, 03:18 PM   #107
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesh2k
I partly agree, I've bought a load of VC in the past, and it's not ideal but it's the market so it is what it is. I think it's a smalltime move on 2k's part charging for haircuts and facial hair etc, but from what I've heard there are games within the neighbourhood that should give you the opportunity to earn a chunk of VC continually, so until we all see whats on offer then none of us really know how smalltime it is.

That said, the VC angle wasn't necessarily the point of my post, it's just annoying seeing the same community dismissing the concerns of others within because it doesn't concern them, but all that may change within a couple of years for what we know.

Even then, if you don't like the thread title, don't go into every thread you don't like them and tell people what they should think.
I don't think the people who are voicing concerns are wrong. I think their beefs are completely viable and I agree, people that are telling them to just skip on it if they have beef are being even crappier.

I just think 2K finding more creative ways to increase their profit margin is not a product of 2K's individual greed but more so the capitalist society we live in.

I think Basketball gamers are spoiled, quite frankly.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:23 PM   #108
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyslexicphish
To the people defending 2k on this I just want to ask one question:

What is the line for you? What is something that would make you think that 2k is overstepping on this VC issue?
Understanding the business aspect is not "defending" 2K. It's reality. Whether a person understands or accepts it is entirely up to them. If they conflate stating the obvious with "defending" something, again, their problem.

As to you second question, I felt like 2K overstepped with VC when they charged to change rotations in 2K14. I'm familiar with the anger some have. There's nothing wrong with not liking it and voicing your concern. I did. I also bought it, because I wanted to change my rotations. I had more than enough VC to do it, it just didn't feel right. I, along with many others, voiced my concern here about it. Even stated how I saw it as a bad sign. That was it. Had 2K continued what I perceived to be nickle and diming i would have stopped fooling with them. Thats something within my control. I cant control what they sell VC for. Or how they implement it. I never once blamed MyCareer players who buy VC. Or MyTeam or 2K for being greedy. I get business. I also understand that I'm not being FORCED to do anything. Fortunately, the next year 2K introduced MyLeague and that was that. VC isn't going anywhere, though. And it's illogical to expect 2K to change a profitable model.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:36 PM   #109
MVP

OVR: 10

yea, I definitely don't blame people for buying VC. It may seem like I do because I say that people buying VC have enabled this to happen, but really... the people who *have* to buy VC to be competitive because they don't have the time to do much other than just fire up the game and play for a couple hours once in awhile, are the ones who are getting shafted the hardest. They aren't the demographic, they are the victims. They are the ones who have been dragged into something they have no way out of... other than not playing.

I'd be happy w/ VC if there was just a ranked team up mode.

I wasn't too worried about grinding my dude up over time last year. I took the Ls as a 60. I took the Ls as a 75 vs people who were close to as good as I was, that I prol would have beaten as 90. I watched my dude blow wide open fast break lay ups in park. I watched people get the ball over my back after boxing them out perfectly. I watched my dude miss inside shot after inside shot before I got my rating up. I had a big, so even at 55, I could still make people miss inside and grab boards, make passes, but everything else... dribbling? nah. Shooting haha. Dunk it under the rim? Sometimes. Mostly I'd just get blocked by the 95 glass cleaner.

I'm not mad at people. I'm not trying to be overzealous here, but when it's obvious they are changing it to make it so you *have* to buy VC for a full price game, that upsets me.

In summary, I think making your dude is a cool feature, but I think it's really lame that we can't play a game where we can pick many different dudes. Why should we have to put in x amount of money or time to play a different build? I wanna play different guys depending on how I feel. I wanna play each position. I don't wanna put in so much money to make a dude, and... y'know I could make a PG that plays D, but then what if I wanna shoot 3s with a pg? The game was more fun online with just old teamplay. I had many friends on there and we played team play as much as park, even when park came out. Sure, there would be the occasional... I got Kobe... no I GOT KOBE argument, but if you think about it, it's better than being like "Oh, we need a center now." "Damn, I can only be Kobe."

I know that stuff is still in the game, but that mode hasn't been developed. So nobody plays it. It's some mode where you got 8 year olds breathing heavily on the mic before they quit out after getting their pull up 3s blocked 2x in a row.

Edit: or you need to get 9 other people together to do a private room.

-Smak
Old 09-10-2017, 06:48 PM   #110
MVP

ph33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSmak
Edit: or you need to get 9 other people together to do a private room.

-Smak
5 on 5 private team-up is insanely fun. I've done it before.

The problem is, you gotta find 9 other friends on at the same time....which happens very rarely.

But like you said, some kind of ranked 5 on 5 mode would be the best. Keep the nickel and diming to Ultimate Team modes as all other sports games do.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:16 PM   #111
MVP

Unfortunately, things are towards the point where, as one Youtuber put it, "If you want to be competitive you either have to no life it, or break down and buy VC to upgrade your guy".

The My Career mode itself has also evolved over time. It used to be analogous to the "Be A Pro" mode featured in other sports titles; now it tries to be some sort of hybrid between "Be A Pro" and "Training for My Park/Pro Am", and it doesn't do a very good job at all of pleasing either fan base.

The only reasonable solution I can think of at this point is to scrap the interconnectivity and separate the modes already.

Handle online the similar to the way they used to do with Crew (proper matchmaking/tiering,multiple positions,"Grind it out against people or buy VC" type marketing,minus all the glitching and 7'3" PG's ofc) and add in My Park/Pro Am functionality, this would probably be more consistent to what the online fanbase is looking for.

On the other end, bring back something like Creating A Legend mode(Offline, no/minimal VC involved, minimal storyline with concentration on the experience of playing basketball at the highest level) with CAP functionality (FIFA does this and it works).

If they also kept in the old functionality of also being able to play as an existing, or even classic, player and I think that would do a better job of keeping offline fanbase happy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2017, 09:33 PM   #112
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernte
exactley, look at these FREE TO PLAY game models.
To be fair, Free To Play is a bit of a misnomer, depending on the game.

As an example, I play Warframe. While it true that I can earn every item just by playing, if I want to have access to more than a small handful of Warframes(somewhat analogous to different characters,different abilities,etc.) and a small handful of weapons, I need to purchase more slots.

Slots are purchased with platinum...it works pretty much like VC. Now, while I could earn platinum on the trading market, it is fairly involved and will almost certainly involve grinding for hours to get desirable rare items, and then find someone willing to pay a fair price for it.

On the other hand, I can spend a few IRL dollars and just buy some platinum.And to be honest, this is what I do once in a while. There is a difference however; any slots I buy will still be there for as long as the game is available...to me this is acceptable considering the number of hours I have logged.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »