Home

Court Size needs to be addressed in 2k18.

This is a discussion on Court Size needs to be addressed in 2k18. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-10-2017, 10:21 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Court Size needs to be addressed in 2k18.

They need to show less of the crowd and expand the court. Right now they show too many rows of the crowd doing the same corny movements for years now.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:46 PM   #18
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNoVa27
Guys, the point of that last little paragraph is that altering the court size will allow them the possibility to create a more realistic locomotion or "foot-planting" system. It's not about what change is more logical. I stated in the OP that I'm aware 2k has accurate dimensions.

The thing is, this isn't the only issue that 2k has. They have to worry about a LOT more issues to fix. Yes, locomotion is the area that makes the court feel small but what do you think would take more time to fix? If they make the court an inaccurate size, it will mask the locomotion problems and make a more enjoyable game. This is under the assumption that changing the size is a quicker fix then rebuilding the entire way players move around.

That seems much more like a two-year issue than a one-year thing. If they just make the court size larger the game will FEEL more accurate despite not factually being equal to real life. Then for future titles they CAN change the foot planting and make the court size accurate again while the "hot-fix" so to speak allows them to better the game in other areas that need to be looked at.

I'd rather play a game that feels like real basketball and have hope that the big issues like the engine and locomotion get changed in the future.
Great post.
I see what you are saying Nova but I think 2k needs to stay away from quick fixes and get to the root of their issues. I'm on record saying that 2k should take a year off and just work under the hood to completely fix their issues and just drop a free roster update in the off year. Defensive/Offensive movement is the crux of the issue and simply making the court bigger would be like putting band aids on a shotgun wound. It could be my old age but I think 2k8/9 may have been the best this game felt in regards to movement as a defender. I never played 2k14 on X1 so I can't speak to the feel on that one..
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:25 PM   #19
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

I'd argue the player models are still too big.

They still short arm rebounds and dunks for a reason.

The models are trash...they need to be done over. No im not being mean, i've explained over the years.

Shoving a model in a uniform entirely too baggy is another issue along with the other things you guys mentioned.

cankles, huge shoulders, buff feet and bodies have always given 2k that superhero look.

Courts might seem a weee bit small for a video game but the dimensions are correct scale wise.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:57 PM   #20
Pro

I think another thing that should be looked at is how the ballhandling animations actually fit within the space of the court. Im sure that ball handling animations specifically arent recorded on an actual court. Maybe they should start recording the animations in contextual situations so theyll transfer over better to actual gameplay.

I talk about some of this in the video below. The ball just gets way too far away from the body of the handler. This widens driving angles which eat up court space.

Ballhandle 1.jpg
ballhandle 2.jpg

Last edited by Baebae32; 05-10-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:44 PM   #21
Rookie

I would like to throw in that bad defense is just not punished enough I rarely see a guy properly run a man off the three point line but yet they manage to get amazing contests just running at shooter without fouling

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2017, 08:49 AM   #22
MVP

OVR: 9

The court and players sizes are ok yet the unnatural speed of players and imbalances between movements laterals etc overall footplanting and real physics mesaures are lacking that's why you feel the court is too small or players are too big.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:22 AM   #23
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

Player models are still a bit big....if they shrunk them a bit then it would look more to scale. Everyone right now has a size 42 waist.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2017, 10:07 AM   #24
Rookie

shayellis's Arena

OVR: 2

They should add more shooting fouls on jumpshots, so defenders cant turbo into shooters without consequences. This will reduce the amount of late, turbo contests and zone defense

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »