Home

Anyone else want badges removed?

This is a discussion on Anyone else want badges removed? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2017, 06:10 AM   #113
72-10

MarkWilliam's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Anyone else want badges removed?

Yeah to me, badges now symbolize the opposite of what I'm looking for.

A true sim basketball experience. Offline.

My opinion, lose them.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:54 PM   #114
Rookie

OVR: 0

I don't really get it. People hate rigid archetypes, but are mad about some bronze badges that help everyone ( literally everyone) become more well rounded players. The one who has that archetypes is best in that categories still. Doesn't make sense to me. Total sim game sure offline no badges if you want, but I think it gives uniqueness to the nba players when certain people have badges and others don't have that badge. The park is not a sim. It is street ball. Street ball is supposed arcadey and fun. Sure you could make some badges a little less strong and defense better all around, but getting rid of them...meh...it is fun to have badges when all your player is supposed to do is play defense or rebound.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2017, 05:37 PM   #115
MVP

I've done a few cpu vs cpu matches with no badges equipped now,it was somewhat interesting:

-Final scores were reasonably close to actual NBA scores.

-Shooting percentages were a slightly lower than actual NBA Team Percentages, 3 point percentages were noticeably lower than actual NBA Team Percentages.

-A good percentage of misses came from the CPU missing poor quality shots.Well contested shots fell at a lower rate.

-Shooting was a bit streakier, players like Curry and Durant tended more to miss for a while then shoot well for a while rather just splashing everything.

-Overall, star players were a bit less effective (probably due to tendencies), while bench guys were a bit more effective. Star players could still put up numbers similar to their RL numbers ( Ex. Lebron had several 22/8/8 games).

-Layups and Dunks were less common, about 6 or so per team per game.Most of these came either in transition or by big men down low.

-Turnovers were a little high, it seems with badges turned off the CPU sometimes tends to suffer from the "bump steal cheese".

-Assists and Rebounds were reasonably close to actual NBA Team stats; even with no badges players like Whiteside and Jordan grabbed 15 a game, Drummond had several games with over 20 rebounds. Whiteside also had several games with 4+ blocks.

-With coach settings adjusted from the defaults to the most realistic settings I could find, defenses performed much better, esp. in Pick and Rolls. "Vaccuum Screens" still exist a bit with higher strength players, albeit at a much lesser rate.

All in all, I would say with further tweaking of player tendencies some editing of attributes here and there, the game could be made very playable in a more realistic style(e.g.players behaving as expected IRL with minimal warping around the court or other types of "cheese" that players tend to complain about) without the need for badges.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2017, 04:10 PM   #116
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryocoola31
I don't really get it. People hate rigid archetypes, but are mad about some bronze badges that help everyone ( literally everyone) become more well rounded players. The one who has that archetypes is best in that categories still. Doesn't make sense to me. Total sim game sure offline no badges if you want, but I think it gives uniqueness to the nba players when certain people have badges and others don't have that badge. The park is not a sim. It is street ball. Street ball is supposed arcadey and fun. Sure you could make some badges a little less strong and defense better all around, but getting rid of them...meh...it is fun to have badges when all your player is supposed to do is play defense or rebound.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Park should be grounded in reality. Street ball is not "Arcadey". It's looser, and typically if pros play they do shoot better due to less pressure, but stuff is still realistic. I'm all for it being slightly exaggerated, but everyone that says "Oh its the Arcade mode" is contributing to it being a cheesy mess. There's a ton of times over the course of the year someone would have a gripe about something broken in park. Half the responses were: "Why does it matter, it's supposed to be an arcade mode?".

Nothing gets fixed if we justify everything with that mentality.

Next case-The badges do help players be well rounded. Even when they aren't good in that area. Case in point: Going by the way 16 and 17 are currently distributing them, anyone who can dribble a basketball will have ankle breaker, people who've crossed over 1 guy ever will have gold, and elite dribblers will have HOF.

Seriously, go through rosters and look at how many unnecessary badges bench players have.

As for the MyPlayer: my player was well rounded in 13, 14, and 15. 16 and 17 not so much. Ironically 15 is when they started going overboard with the badges.

Having less badges allows for attributes to carry different weight. It means you can shoot well with 84 in 3pt, it also means I'll risk closing out on you late. If you were 84, with silver catch and shoot, I'm going to be glued to you. That one difference changes the entire feel of your guy, while allowing you to still be good at everything.

Badges making players feel unique will only happen once players have less of them.

PSN: ViolenceFight
Instagram: @ViolenceFight
Old 08-01-2017, 04:20 PM   #117
Formerly known as Barnsey

Barncore's Arena

No. I like badges. It provides the opportunity to create more specific identities for players. It's especially useful when creating draft classes.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:16 AM   #118
Pro

I think we should have an option to turn off Badge influence. If we got rid of badges entirely, the MyPlayer community would go crazy. I, for one, would turn off the badges instead of having to remove them every time I play against a team in MyLeague.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:00 AM   #119
MVP

jk31's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barncore
No. I like badges. It provides the opportunity to create more specific identities for players. It's especially useful when creating draft classes.
So to differentiate between players who are very Good 3pt shooters from the corner with a 90 3pt rating and a Hot Zone in the corner and another Player who is a very Good 3pt shooter from the corner with a 90 3pt rating, no hot Zone but the corner badge instead?
or to differentiate between Good onball defenders having high perimeter defense and Good onball defenders having lower perimeter defense but the clamps badge?
Old 10-09-2019, 10:03 AM   #120
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk31
So to differentiate between players who are very Good 3pt shooters from the corner with a 90 3pt rating and a Hot Zone in the corner and another Player who is a very Good 3pt shooter from the corner with a 90 3pt rating, no hot Zone but the corner badge instead?
or to differentiate between Good onball defenders having high perimeter defense and Good onball defenders having lower perimeter defense but the clamps badge?

His post was from 2017.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »